“Great casual sushi in Vancouver”

Shuraku Sake Bar & Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Shuraku Sake Bar & Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #110 of 3,728 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Fusion
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Granville Street
Cross street: Robson Street
Transit: We are located one block from major public transit stops. Downtown bound buses travel north on Seymour (just east of us) and Outbound buses travel south on Howe just west of us. Using the Sky Train? Closest Stop is the Pacific Centre Mall; just 1 1/2 blocks to our north. Numerous taxis can be found up and down Granville entertainment corridor.
“Great casual sushi in Vancouver”
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

Reasonably priced and very good sushi, good service, lots of locals, very fresh big eye tuna was a hit

Visited March 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Fort Frances, Canada
“Excellent, even with the kids in tow”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We found Shuraku on Tripadvisor, desperate for somewhere to eat with the kids that wasn't Maccas or Subways. This is not somewhere you would take kids unless you had to, but we had to and the staff treated them great. We really appreciated the prompt, efficient and pleasant service by Shuraku's waitstaff. Our waitress didn't forget a thing, even when our order chopped and changed.
My husband greatly enjoyed the moderately priced drinks, as did I. Our sushi and sashimi was fresh, the perfect temperature (which restaurants often get wrong), and delectably tasty.
The place was full on a Wednesday night which is a great sign. We were very pleased with our choice. You will be too.

• Visited March 2014
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
“Very Helpful Staff”
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

We had never eaten sushi before and sought advice from the concierge at our hotel. He recommended this place. It's lively, full of Japanese, and clearly authentic. We took advice from the waitress about what to eat. Ate excellent fish, good Japanese beer and had a very interesting meal. Excellent for Sushi virgins!

Visited March 2014
Thornhill, Canada
“Authentic”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Probably a better sushi restuarant than many. Excellent selection of food. Good service and good selection of sakes.

• Visited December 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Outstanding”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I grew up on Japanese food. Whether I tried to or not, I was exposed to many variations of both home cooked, and restaurant type of Japanese cuisine in Canada, and in Japan.

In Vancouver, you have the option of the funkier kind of Japanese food like the Guu restaurants (my all time favourite place to eat in Vancouver), or more traditional fare. Even though they are both Japanese, I can't really make a fair comparison. Shuraku, near Robson and Granville, is the best Japanese restaurant I have experienced in Canada, in all accounts I can remember.

The 1st time, more than 10 years ago, I was left impressed. The 2nd time, recently a few weeks ago, I was even more impressed. The lunch menu had great choices. But the quality and execution put this place in line with some of the great places in Japan.

The sushi was 1st rate. But there are many other places in Vancouver that do it as well. When you get into other dishes like curry and pork cutlet (tonkatsu), that's where this place shot ahead of anywhere I can remember.

Curry was slow cooked for 5 hours, and you could taste it. Thick, rich, and very satisfying. Not too heavy, but still had a really comfort-food type of feeling to it. Presented in a stone bowl was a really neat touch as well.

The tonkatsu was what knocked the ball out of the park. I have not seen a crust like theirs since I had tonkatsu in Japan; at a restaurant that specialized in tonkatsu. As in, that's all they did, and was very popular in the city I lived in. Perfectly browned, incredibly light and crispy, and the consistency of the crumbs was flawless. It was deep fried at the perfect temperature, for the perfect amount of time, and with the perfect batter.

When I picked up the menu, I saw prices that were mid-range. After eating what I ordered, I now see this restaurant to be an incredible bargain. I have paid much more for quality that did not equal Shuraku.

This was easily one of the biggest surprises I have experienced in a long while; since my first time eating at Guu.

• Visited February 2014