“Heavy scent ruins a beautiful place” 1 of 5 bubbles

Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver
Ranked #7 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Heavy scent ruins a beautiful place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2011

There is nowhere to escape the heavy perfume piped into every corner of this otherwise beautiful hotel. It's not just that I'm allergic to some scents, and violently allergic to this one. It 's that customers should be informed, and have the right to choose. Though marketed as their 'signature', it's not even natural, but reeks of chemical fakery. A kindly member of cleaning staff showed me the hidden openable window and with the heat/air conditioning shut off, it was tolerable -- provided I didn't mind the freezing cold. To get to meetings, I held my breath and dashed through smelly elevators, hallways and lobbies, then retreated to my room for meals and (chilly) sleep. The beds, linens, amenities, room and bath are lovely. A major high-end hotel should have the courtesy to tell guests in advance about its perfume-permeated environment and give them a choice. Offer it on a particular floor, or in selected rooms. Don't ruin the entire hotel, and don't ruin my entire stay! Public places are now smoke-free; many are also scent-free. This is a wake-up call to management. You charged me a fortune for a room that was a misery and a hazard to my health!

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
28 Thank visitingprof

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2011

We stayed at the Shangri-La Vancouver for 4 nights in January 2011. I had originally paid for a superior room with twin beds and without breakfast on the hotel website, but they were nice enough to change it to the Winter Wonderland package upon request. This included breakfast ($60 credit/day for 2 pax). The cost was CD$347/night inclusive of taxes.

The location of the hotel is perfect. Right in downtown Vancouver with Robson street, the main shopping area, just behind the hotel. However, the layout is unusual as the main reception is one floor below ground level. Tell your taxi driver to enter the underground carpark which is where you will find the entrance to the reception. This is great for people who want privacy. The doorman was efficient in opening the car door and getting our bags. The reception area was small and thus gave the feeling of a private check-in for guests. The receptionist was very welcoming, friendly and ushered us to the lift. The hotel is the tallest building in British Columbia and occupies the first 15 floors. Our room was located on the 14th floor.

The room was of adequate size for a Superior room. The interior design was zen-like with chinese paintings on the walls. There was a hand written card from the manager welcoming us to the hotel which I thought was nice. We had a great view of the city surrounded by office buildings. The flat screen TV was the largest I had seen in any hotel room. You could control the intensity of the room lighting (instead of just on/off) but I found the room to be very dim; great for those who want to get some sleep! You could draw and open the blinds and curtains with the touch of a switch. The beds were exceptionally comfortable. The minibar was adequate with a nespresso coffee machine. They also provided welcome fruits (only on the first night), complimentary daily newspapers and free mineral water bottles during turn down service. The bathroom was almost all marble and was beautifully designed with the usual L’occitane bath products. The TV in the mirror was certainly a pleasant surprise! However, I felt that the bathroom was quite small (maybe because it was a superior room). There is complimentary internet in the room. Alternatively you could use the business centre with internet, fax and printing services.

The Concierge is located on the street level which is where the hotel’s main lobby is located. This place felt more like the entrance to a private luxurious living room with a warm fireplace, large chandeliers and plush sofas. It didn’t look like your usual hotel lobby and you would never find large group of tourists hanging around. You really have to get acquainted with which entrances lead to the hotel lobby as we walked into the residential entrance and had to walk through a “maze” before we found the lifts to the hotel rooms. The main lobby entrance was very understated with 2 chinese lion statues at the revolving door. There was no doorman to welcome you. They really should have more staff in this area to attend to the guests as I felt that the Concierge was always busy. Before I arrived at the hotel, the Concierge was extremely helpful in providing information on day tours and booking transportation to Whistler. Communication was done efficiently via email. During my stay, the Concierge was helpful in pointing out the local sights and recommending dining options. They even had the restaurant menus! However, I felt that they could have taken it to the next level and have been more personal rather than just telling me information which I could google from the Internet if I had time.

We had breakfast at the Market restaurant everyday. The service was great and one of the waitresses (she seemed like eastern european) was exceptionally friendly and talked to us about the weather and places of interest in Vancouver. The food was good, not exceptional. Don’t order the chinese breakfast. I didn’t like the french toast as it seemed as if the toast was deep fried and too sweet for my liking. The banana pancakes were great!

What I didn’t like. The layout of the hotel is unusual as tour buses cannot stop anywhere along the hotel to pick you up. We had to wait for our Whistler coach at the Hyatt hotel which was a 10-15 minute walk away. When we asked the hotel how we could get there, they suggested walking there. I’m sure they could have considered the fact that we could have many pieces of luggage and dragging it all the way to the Hyatt in the horrible Vancouver rain wasn’t such a good idea. It would have been nice if they offered hotel transport but we took a cab anyway. The hotel was certainly splendid like any other Shangri-La should be, but it lacked the hospitality, sincerity and personal touch which I have experienced at other Shangri-La hotels. They don’t really value their guests here. I had to call room service 4 times (over a span of 2 days) before I could get two pairs of bathroom slippers and the mineral water that I asked for never came. This is absolutely unacceptable especially when the person on the other line tells you “we will get it for you straight away”. I also question what benefits a Golden Circle member could enjoy at the hotel as I could see none being a member myself. So why bother having such a membership programme in the first place? If I were to return to Vancouver, I’d probably stay at another hotel such as the Four Seasons where I would most likely get better service.

• Stayed January 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dragoneti
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2011

After the rave reviews on Trip Advisor, we booked 4 rooms for the extended family, and were not disappointed. The hotel was sensational; very personal, which is often lacking in 5 star hotels; centrally located and within walking distance of all sites and shopping; located on West Georgia, probably the most central street in Vancouver; and located next to Urban Fare probably one of the best run deli/market stores we've seen anywhere in the world.

The rooms were exceptional. Although we had a suite to accomodate 3 teenagers and 1 adult, we were very comfortably and luxuriously accommodated even to the point that a tv was located within the bathroom mirror. The kids loved that little inclusion. The beds were to die for and a pillow menu was available.

The hotel gym located on the first floor was home to first class equipment and overlooked the streetscape of Vancouver with a heated pool in the vicinity. Wi-fi was free.

Shangri-La gives true meaning to the 5 star experience. Service was superb at every level of the hotel and truly personifies an exceptionally managed hotel. Should we return to Vancouver we will definitely rebook.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
sfo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2011

The Shangri-La Vancouver is a luxury hotel in the tallest building in the city located in the premier business address at West Georgia and Thurlow Streets. The hotel occupies the fist 15 floors of this landmark building. The accommodations are very luxurious with high end fabrics, beddings, fine Asian art throughout the hotel and complimentary high speed wireless internal access. The service is impeccable! I left my jewelry in the safe and they had a car and driver deliver it to me at another location! They really live up to their sterling reputation.

The hotel has an outdoor pool, fitness center, sauna, stretch and pilates rooms, and a state-of-the art spa called Chi.

The Market restaurant is very chic and the food is incredible! It’s one of the hottest dining spots in town so book your reservation early! A truly unforgettable experience!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

This hotel is a five star, that truly rates a five star.
It's location is amazing, perfect for both business and leisure, great shopping and restaurants all around the hotel. The views are stunning and the rooms are fantastic.
The staff are so wonderful and helpful, going out of their way to exceed all of my requests.
I recommend this hotel to everyone, live like a King when your in Vancouver, and sleep like a baby.
This is truly one of the most amazing hotels in the city.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

First let me state that I did not stay at this hotel. I went there for lunch (review already posted) and was cheeky enough to ask if it was possible to see a room. I was shown 2 rooms, one standard, one executive, and the spa. (and no I did not tell them that I planned to write a review)

Both rooms were spacious with top quality furnishings and linens. The style was understated elegance and every convenience was provided - even a walk-in closet in one room.

The bathrooms were amazing - all marble with dual vessel sinks, large tub and powerful looking showers. Each of the rooms also had a balcony.

The spa was tranquil with subdued lighting and the treatment room I saw was an oasis of calm with private shower and huge tub, fluffy robe and slippers. It was relaxing just to visit. The outside all year pool looked very inviting.

The decor throuout the hotel was elegant and calm. lots of wood , a water wall, asian inspired hangings and a total feeling of quality. Naturally this quality is reflected in the price but one would expect that to be the case.

The staff I spoke to were all extremely polite and helpful, especially the concierge who arranged for me to tour the rooms. The one slightly odd thing was that the main enterance is on the car park level - excellent privacy for the famous but hard to find when going for lunch. The street level eentrance brings you to the concierge desk where you will be courteously directed to your destination.

I will deffinately consider this hotel for future stays.

• Stayed January 2011
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2011

I am frequent traveler in North America. I spent about 50% of my time in hotels. I am delighted by the quality of service at the Shangri-La at Vancouver. The room is excellent and the food was amazing. The price I paid for the hotel and food is so reasonable. This hotel will be my home in Vancouver.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business