“Impeccable service and luxury to the nth degree”

Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver
Ranked #7 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 25, 2010

The concierge service at this hotel is the finest I have ever encountered!!! I emailed and spoke with Sureena on several occasions prior to the trip. She was extremely helpful and professional. It was such a pleasure to work with her. She arranged for a car/driver to pick up my parents from the train station and to take them on a guided tour of the city. She took care to address my questions about the Vancourver Art Gallery and various restaurants etc. Every detail requested was taken care of including what I wanted supplied in the hotel room, and ensuring that Tammy was available to carefully explain all the details of the room -- everything is automated -- lights, curtains etc. My parents had never seen such luxury -- the bathroom is the same size of a usual hotel room. The services in the hotel and the restaurants are superb. As my father had difficulty walking to the restaurant, Richard, the restaurant manager, and Virginia and David, helped to provide assistance and ensured my parents had a special evening. This is a place where they take care to serve your every need. This is amazing hospitality. The hotel is well located and is sumptious in its design. If you want to have a special experience and pamper yourself -- this is the place to be. They have a fabulous spa in this hotel -- perfect for a romantic holiday.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cohenprof
Write a ReviewReviews (1,755)

Reviewed September 23, 2010

My room was so delightful, that I didn't want to leave it. The room was immaculate, very clean. The bathroom was my favorite, with a huge soaking tub, see thru shower, and a tv in the mirror. Everything in the bathroom felt and looked like white marble from the border around the tub to the tile on the floor. The bed was unbelievable, so comfortable that it made the Hilton and Marriott hotel bed feel like a Motel 6 bed. In general, the whole room was elegant with wood that looked like mahogany. As a single woman, I felt very secure because you have to have a room card to activate the elevator, your room control, and other facilities throughout the hotel. I loved the technology, just push a button and the drapes would open, lights dim to reading, evening, or night, even "do not disturb" under your room number lights up at the push of a button. At most hotels, you can hear everyone in the next room. I didn't hear anyone in the neighboring rooms. Very quiet and nice large room, equal in size to any hotel suite room. This hotel was awesome, and I would suggest it to anybody that wanted to stay in a nice hotel while visiting Vancouver. It's in a excellent location in downtown Vancouver. It's close to the pier for cruise ships visitors, like myself, Robson St., Stanley Park, Amtrak, and restaurants galore. I paid a little over $300 a night on Expedia and got an awesome room at the Shangri-La with an incredible view and breakfast. The service at breakfast was excellent. They had fresh squeezed orange juice! I had the pancakes with real Canadian maple syrup, bacon, and fresh fruit. My favorite special touch was that in my room each day was a complimentary bottle of Whistler water, and a fresh fruit plate (banana, apple, and plum) that had a very special note, with my name hand written on it, that welcomed me to my room, and the Shangri-La. I've stayed at a lot of hotels including the Waldorf Astoria in Orlando, and Royal Hawaiian in Honolulu, and this hotel was more awesome than any hotel that I've ever been blessed to encounter. My only regret is that I couldn't stay longer at the Shangri-La, I even begged for a late check out time, but it wasn't available because another guest was waiting on my room. The business center was even elelgant with big screen Sony computer, with free internet, and 5 print pages. The lady that helped me in the business center was great, and very nice. Even the people that greeted me at the door, and parked my car, bent over backwards to help me find locations in Vancouver. There were people needing to get by me in the parking garage, and the doormen stayed calm, and nicely gave me directions to the Amtrak, and post office. One of the doormen, even programmed my GPS! I guarantee that if you stay at the Shangri-La hotel, you will be pleasantly pleased and impressed with this hotel, and customer service. Every staff member seemed very concern about me having a good time and constantly asked me if I needed anything to enhance my visit. Shangri-La thanks for a wonderful visit in downtown Vancouver. Currently, I'm still dreaming about that huge soaking tub, tv in the mirror, and pancakes with maple syrup! I wish that room 1506 would have fitted into one of my bags. I would have loved to have taken a piece of the Shangri-La home!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank user980401
Reviewed September 23, 2010

During a recent Alaskan Cruise due to mechanical difficulties we were unable to visit Vancouver. So we decided to go on our own. After researching hotels we decided on the Shangri-La. Thank goodness we did!! What exceptional service. Jarren the concierge never and I mean never steared us wrong!! We enjoyed every minute of the 3 days we had, we had great food, drink and hit all the great spots. If he didn't take the time each day to help us out and point us in the right direction it may not have been so rewarding. He went above and beyond. The hotel is just glorious, amenities are superior and the spa also is top notch. If you have the opportunity go, don't pass this one up!!

WOW
Such an amazing experience (Never been so satisfied with a hotel in my life and ive stayed at lots of them all around the world).
The minute you walk in to the lobby, you almost feel like you have been at a health spa for the last 10 days! Every staff member i encountered from the room maid to the breakfast manager were so polite and courteous with everything from information, to services ect...We needed some last minute flight details printed and they were more than happy to print out our itinerary's.
I have told everyone!!!
Loved every minute of it, and so worth every cent.
Thanks for an incredible time. Will be back again :)

Reviewed September 22, 2010

This is the highest level of service I have ever experienced in a hotel. I have stayed at many 4-5 star places (including the other nice hotel "L" nearby) and I must say this was so far the best. There was something about the way the people who worked there had a genuine appreciation for you being there. Unlike many "expensive" hotels that can be snobby, these people treat you with respect and genuine kindness. When we arrived in their car reception area they were so nice and professional on how they handled everything. We were driving our hybrid and most of the cars there were very expensive including a Lambo parked up front. Again they treated us with the highest level of service regardless of what we were driving (you all know what I mean).

The Girl at the front desk was extremely personal and professional and had told us that the hotel had "complimentary upgraded" us to the next level of room . Wow, were were surprised when we heard that. We had chosen the "Autumn" package which includes free parking and a breakfast each morning at their incredible restaurant MARKET by Jean-Georges. When we arrived at out room,
it was so incredible; everything so clean we couldn't believe it!!! There was a personal "hand written" note from the general manager "Mr Brea" thanking us for choosing their hotel and wishing us a great stay. Where did they find this person? Its like out of a movie to see this kind of service from ANY hotel these days.

The room was huge and well designed and included 2 balconies to see outside. The quality of the finishes, the lack of dust anywhere was awesome. The bed is one of the best I have ever slept on in a hotel and I wanted to take in home in my suitcase ( and we sleep on a dux!!):)

The entire place must be appreciated by those wanting an experience that's unpretentious and yet of the highest class. We will be back.

Randy

Reviewed September 11, 2010

Awesome room, central location, fantastic concierge staff, professional and efficient front desk and bell staff. All together enjoyable. Staff took lots of time with us... on everything from making restaurant reservations to making arrangements to park our oversized car (based on 2 seventeen -foot kayaks on top).

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank trhay
Reviewed September 7, 2010

This hotel was a choice for one night before our return to Toronto from being at Sonora Resort for 3 nights.
I chose it because of reviews on TripAdvisor.
When we arrived we asked for an upgrade from an executive suite to a 1-bedroom - we were given this for $40 extra.
The room was really nice and had some very cool modern features such as a TV built right into the mirror in the bathroom.
The only thing that I would complain about was the couch size in the suite area of the 1-bedroom - it is not made for a man or women taller than 5'6" - it is short and uncomfortable.
The restaurant has the signature of a Michelin 3 star chef - Jean-Georges, but the food and service were VERY average. The restaurant was very noise and out on the heated terrace (which is a nice touch) the dance/techno music was pounding - we switched tables.
All in all, for one night it was comfortable and the amenities were what you would expect for $400/night.