Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver
Hyatt Regency Vancouver(Vancouver)
Blue Horizon Hotel(Vancouver)
Fairmont Hotel Vancouver(Vancouver)
1,799 results
All reviewschi spamarket by jean georgeslower lobbyalberni streetbathroom mirrorstreet levelconcierge teambeautiful hotelone bedroom suitenespresso machinehotel experiencesteam roombreakfast was includedvalet parkingturn down servicefitness centeran upgrade
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 1, 2014

We had a four day stay at Shangri La in August, this was our first time at this Chain and we really enjoyed our experience. Service was very attentive and the Concierge services providing tickets and information was excellen. We were there for a wedding and found the bar area very good with good service and the breakfast was very good indeed, this was included in our room rate, we did not take any other meals there. However, there were a couple of downsides: the amount of storage in the bedroom, we would have liked a few drawers and bit more hanging space and the pool was very small with little seating although there was a very nice jacuzzi tub, the whole area was in shade much of the time as it is surrounded by many high rise buildings, however it was a good choice as a very central location within easy walking of transport to main attractions and restaurants

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Kari K, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2014

Dear Bubbles311,
Thank you for your feedback and for trying the Shangri-La Hotel chain. I am very glad to learn that our staff was very attentive and the Concierge team was very keen on providing you the tickets you needed. We hope to welcome you back at our hotel.

Reviewed September 1, 2014

I stayed their for 2 nights (Aug 27th and Aug 28th) in RM 1407. I had reserved a Deluxe room but was upgraded to an Executive suite. It was a memorable experience and they made our stay absolutely luxurious. Monette, the front desk agent who checked us in was very nice. Every time we entered the lower lobby she would come out of the front desk to greet us. She definitely impressed me and my wife. She made our anniversary special.
I am the front office manager myself in a big property and my wife is also in this industry and we both were impressed with the professionalism of every staff member. Benjamin showed us Punjab village which was amazing coz my wife did lot of shopping there. I don't remember the name of the valet but he was very helpful too. It was a man with short hairs and was working a PM shift on the day we arrived.
Housekeeper who cleaned our room was amazing too. I didn't even see her but our room was spotless. I have been to lot of Shangri la's in my life as I use to work for one of them but I must say this property definitely stands out,
It is a little bit on the pricier side but Luxury doesn't come cheap. Being from this industry it is totally understandable but I will try and stay here for sure in future if I can afford it.

Dear Harpreet T,
Thank you for your comment. I am glad to know that we were able to make your stay memorable. I will pass on your kind words about Monette and Benjamin, I am sure that they will be very delighted to hear from you. We hope to see you again at the Shangri-La Hotel Vancouver!

Reviewed September 1, 2014 via mobile

Have stayed in other Shangri-la hotels and this does not measure up to previous experiences. We arrived after 3pm and were made to wait 45 minutes for our room to be prepared ( 3pm check-in)
The suite was fine and bed was comfortable. There was no view worth mentioning as building is set amidst the concrete jungle
of Vancouver. Front desk was very slow. And the carpeting in hall way was getting that shabby look- needs refurbishing. Would not return there for the price-

• Stayed: August 2014
Kari K, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2014

Dear FredoTO,

Please accept my sincere apologies for your room not being ready yet at our published check-in time. I appreciate your comments regarding our corridor carpets and I am pleased to advise that these are due to be replaced in the winter months. I hope you will consider us again on your next trip to Vancouver.

Reviewed August 31, 2014

We stayed in an Executive suite for four nights in late August.

This is a 5* hotel and that is reflected in the prices. Cleanliness, excellent service, good quality rooms and good facilities should be taken for granted and were very much in evidence. However I was left feeling a little less than satisfied.

Firstly, the positives, the reception area being in a lower lobby for car access allows for swift checking in and out and allows the ground floor concierge area to be entirely unobtrusive. The staff are pleasant, polite and helpful. The décor is very nice and the hotel well set out. The room (as with the rest of the hotel) was very clean. The bed was very comfy and the sheets of good quality. The bathroom was nice and the complimentary vanity products were also good quality. The hotel is well located yet feels very tranquil.

However, as I say, many of these things should be taken for granted when paying a premium price. We found the pool and leisure facilities woeful. The attendant was excellent and the area is nicely set out however, there is one very small pool and a small hot tub. The board by the pool says it can accommodate 40 people (possibly it can but only in the way that the Black Hole of Calcutta accommodated 146). It is barely bigger than a paddling pool and no more than 2 people can swim in it at anyone time. There are very few loungers round the pool also. The pool is also on a balcony outside and while we were lucky to have sun, I'm sure that in a city that experiences this much rain, an additional covered pool would have been a good choice. In addition, as the pool is under the balcony of the function room above, when out for an evening swim (the only time we could get near the pool) we had groups above us, leering and spitting, not nice! It should also be noted that the leisure facilities are shared with all the apartment users above and not just hotel guests.

Other negatives are when my wife tried to use the advertised library she found it shut for an event. Events seem to be a large part of the hotel and guests should prepare themselves for that. Lifts were often full of caterers and large parties were common. I was also unimpressed with the maid service: despite having the maid trolley parked outside our room blocking our way when we left at 10am, our room had still not been cleaned when we returned at 4pm and this was not unusual. Also the there is no additional evening turn-down service (something we have appreciate when at other 5* hotels).

The largest sour taste was on arrival though. We made the error of only bring one credit card which we had problems with throughout. As a result I needed to use my debit card. They asked for a 200 CAD deposit payable back on departure in cash only. When I said that 800 CAD on the day we leave was a bit useless to us this was negotiated to a 200 CAD deposit on the condition that my mini-bar be emptied. The whole way that this was handled I felt was appaling with the implication that despite paying a considerable sum for staying at the hotel that I could not be trusted to have a Toblerone bar in my room in case I ate it and then ran off without paying - absurd! Certainly not the way I am used to being treated in good quality hotels usually. As it was after having just driven 850 km from Banff and wanting to get to a room, I couldn't be bothered to argue.

I have stayed in Shangri-La hotels when ever in China and always found them to be good. After this I shall not be using them again.

5  Thank Jac A
Kari K, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2014

Dear Jac A,
Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your compliments regarding our hotel. I also wish to thank you for your feedback on the areas we fell short on your expectations. We aim to exceed our guest expectations and it is always hard to hear when we fell short on our goal. We truly value your business and hope you will re-consider staying with us again on your future travel to Vancouver.

Reviewed August 31, 2014

This is the second Shangri-La Hotel I have stayed at. It offers true luxury service. The concierge service was first rate. They will spend as much time with you,as,needed and are so knowledgable.
The hotel is immaculate with a first rate spa and restaurant. .the location is right in the middle of downtown. It also has an Asian feel to it. You can have a complete Chinese breakfast if you wish. It's too bad they have not yet opened any hotel in United States.

Dear Judith B,
Thank you for your feedback. It is so nice to hear that you had decided to stay with us again during your recent visit to Vancouver. I am glad that our Concierge team has provided first rate service to you and that you enjoyed our Chinese breakfast at MARKET by Jean-Georges Restaurant. We look forward welcoming you back on your next trip to Vancouver.