“Too expensive with many quirks to warrant 5*”

Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver
Ranked #7 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Mmmmm......interesting hotel with many quirks.
We are traveling the west coast, staying at 5* hotels throughout, the Shangri-La was the most expensive around $600 per night, and unfortunately scored the lowest overall.

Pros: super attentive, discreet staff, you get the impression nothing would be too much to ask for.
Beautiful corridors, bathrooms (large and luxurious), balconies and hotel lounge.
Comfortable beds, tasteful decor and fab light switches with dimmers.
Nice hand written note, apricots and cookies awaiting us in our room.

Cons: bizarre entrances; from the below ground car park/ check-in to the downright weird street level (no signage or markings) concierge? You are shunted downstairs to a tiny desk which felt like an airport car drop off. As a first impression, this sucked.
Our corner suite room was also a bizarre layout, with a huge dark wood inner paneled hall, leading to a very small lounge/work area. The hall is larger than the living area and a complete waste of space. The large desk also obscures the best view of the suite. If this is feng shui it doesn't work-it's rather baffling.

The location is so-so neither good nor bad.... not close to the waterfront with no views and a couple of blocks to the downtown main area. There were also a few entitled, young Asian princesses hanging at the (v small) pool. Their mother apparently owned an apartment there and they thought nothing of talking smack about girls they knew, fat models!?! and cussing in front of children. Not the hotels fault, for sure - but maybe an indication of the clientelle.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank eurostylist
Kari K, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear eurostylist,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that our staff was very discreet and has provided their services to you and that you find our bathrooms and balconies large and luxurious. I do apologise if you find our lower lobby a bit confusing and that your room layout is quite bizarre. I still hope that you had a nice time during your stay with us and hopefully give us a chance to welcome you back in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,755)

Reviewed June 20, 2014

I am spending 4 glorious nights in the Shangri-La in downtown Vancouver (currently on my 3rd night) and I don't want to leave. This hotel has far exceeded my expectations, from the staff to the food to the room, everything is outstanding. The staff is not overly intrusive, but always available to help. I love that they all magically know my name. I have a one bedroom suite and it is lovely-well appointed and has every amenity imaginable. The bed is so comfortable, I have no problems sleeping. I will say there are so many buttons in the room, it makes my head swim. It look me about 15 minutes to figure out how to open the drapes, as they are operated by a nifty button somewhere in the room. The terrace is lovely, overlooks the pool. My only mild annoyance is that there is a lot of high-rise construction across from my particular room so it is very noisy and ruins the ambiance on the terrace. It is muffled when the door is shut, and they start after 8AM so I cant say it has disturbed my sleep. But it does take away the enjoyment on the patio. Not enough for me to ask for another room, but if it bothers you-make sure to request the non-construction facing side of the hotel. I highly recommend this hotel, and I will certainly make this my luxury hotel chain of choice in the future - assuming I can ever afford it again! Lovely stay, lovely staff and lovely accommodations.

Room Tip: If the noise is a concern, as about construction on the adjacent buildings and request a room not fa...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear joybuyer,

Thank you for taking time in writing your comments. I am very glad to hear that you are currently enjoying your stay with us and that our staff has exceeded your expectations. I do apologise for the disturbance from the construction across the street as this is something that we are unable to control. We hope to be your preferred hotel for all your visits to Vancouver.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

Stayed at this beautiful property before our Alaskan cruise. Very easy to get to downtown via train. Hotel staff was extremeley helpful and freindly. We arrived early from PHL and I had called the hotel prior to leaving to notify them, however when we arrived our room was not ready. They offered an upgrade to a suite for $40, which was totally worth it after a long flight.

The room was extremely comfortable and clean. Nice views of the city from the balcony.

We did not take advantage of any other services provided by the hotel, however there were plenty to choose from.

Would absolutely stay again!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Mark S,

Thank you for your kind words. We are very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you find our rooms extremely comfortable and clean. Our hotel staff indeed is one of our best assets and that is something we are very proud of. We definitely hope to see you again on your next trip to Vancouver!

Reviewed June 19, 2014

I was very impressed with this hotel. The hotel actually is in three portions; the hotel and 1 bedroom condos and 2 bedroom condos. I was lucky to stay with a member of my family in her 1 bedroom condo. We had access to the hotel amenities like the restaurants within it. The security was so tight and it made me feel very comfortable. I went shopping, eating out, attended a art gallery exhibition, attended an Indian classical music concert at Simon Fraser University; all within walking distant. There are so many restaurants and excellent coffee shops all around. I never felt intimidated or afraid - day or night.

Room Tip: I only had the experience of the condo from where the views were great. I could see the Trump Tower...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear Esmail J,
Thank you for your comments. It is so nice to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at the residences and that you enjoyed our hotel amenities. We are indeed located in the downtown core, very near to shopping street and excellent restaurants and coffee shops. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Vancouver.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

We stayed for one night and paid $1256 for a one night stay. We did order room service and had dinner in the restaurant. It was good, but we were not blown away. I was hoping to be becasue of spending that sort of money. All the staff are courteous and very helpful. The room was gorgeous but it did have dirty tired carpets and the view was marred by tall office buildings in the way. We paid for an $150 upgrade for the view but it was not worth it.. The food was good but just not amazing. I don't know what I was expecting but I just was not blown away.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Julianna Z,

Thank you for your honest feedback. I apologise if you feel that we did not exceed your expectations during your recent stay with us. I hope that we can still have an opportunity to welcome you back at the Shangri-La Vancouver.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Let me start off by saying that my girlfriend and I had an amazing weekend in Vancouver. It was our first time visiting and staying at the Shangri-La was definitely the right choice. The hotel boasts the only 5 diamond rating in Vancouver, and the service was for the most part, amazing. Big thanks to Vincent at the front desk for making us so comfortable and Eric for providing first aid to my gf after she burned herself with a curling iron.

I did have two issues, one was when we asked for extra towels and a pillow and no one came for 30 min, I had to call back and ask again and the concierge claimed that they knew nothing about my previous call. The other was the lady at the check in desk, who didn't really know what she was doing and got our reservation mixed up and also couldn't answer simple questions such as when the pool closes. Vincent cleared that all up, thanks again! The overall experience was still really great, the hotel is beautiful and really conveniently located to great food and shops. Everyone else was really helpful, and the Jean-Georges restaurant had the BEST desserts. I'm a fan, and will definitely stay here again when in town.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Kari K, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear Alchie07,

Thank you for taking time in writing your thoughts and comments. I am glad to know that you and your girlfriend had an amazing weekend stay with us. I will pass on your note to Vincent and Eric, I am sure that they will be very humbled by your words. I would like to apologise for the delay of the extra towels and pillow as per your request and that if our front desk agent had mixed up your reservation with someone else. We hope to see you and your girlfriend back on your next trip to Vancouver.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

Really nice room, incl balcony, amenities etc. Great food for dinner and breakfast. Very nice Spa treatment. Excellent concierge, really helpful. Good location. A few blocks off train station for a 4$ metro to airport. (more in evening). This is a hotel I want to go back to. Definately.

Room Tip: Consider upgrade to suite for a co pay at check in.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gumball997
Kari K, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear gumball997,

Thank you for your comments. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed our room, food and spa during your recent stay with us. We look forward welcoming you back.