“FANTASTIC”

GreenLeadersGold level
Norwich, United Kingdom
“FANTASTIC”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Shangri-La for six days before our cruise to Alaska. We were so impressed with this hotel and the professional and friendly way in which we were looked after that we rebooked for two more days post our cruise. We are here now and after the cruise it felt like coming home, with such a warm welcome from staff. We found the Asian influence both relaxing and calming in a major city environment. However, it is also well placed for wonderful shops and restaurants. We intend to return to this hotel in the near future.

Sandy and George
UK

Room Tip: We had a corner executive deluxe room with partial views over the port. Light and spacious.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Kari K, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Sandy & George,
Thank you for your kind review. There is no greater compliment than a returning guest..... In your case, you returned twice on the same trip =)
We are glad you enjoyed our hotel and appreciate our "Asian Hospitality" in Vancouver.
We indeed are located right on the premier shopping street (Alberni Street) in Vancouver and as you mentioned, walking distance to most of the best restaurants in the city.
Sandy & George, we look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Treated my wife to a stay-cation and overnight for her birthday. I chose the Shangri-La based on reputation and the impression that this was THE top in town. We were not wrong.

We were given a typical room, but for this hotel it was very spacious and deluxe. Massive king bed, huge flat-screen tv, lots of plugs and docking stations, and a very large bathroom nicely with separate tub & shower as well as a separate toilet room and even a little tv screen within the bathroom mirror as the most classy and nouveau hotels now have.

Interesting that there was no Bible at all, but instead there was a copy of James Hilton's Lost Horizon on hand. Now, I'm not sure about boasting about and being influenced by an author who has the same name of one of your hotel competitors, but it seems that this classic novel is where a lot of the "shangri-la" catch-phrases come from.

For instance a really nice touch were the bookmarks on our pillows upon arrival, complete with wistful saying printing on the front.

Even better was the token complimentary gift of a small cake as well as the most immaculate purple rose I have ever seen given to my wife for her birthday celebration. It all almost (almost) put me and my efforts to shame!!

With an illustrious hotel like this, it's the little things that count most. The attentive service, quality everywhere, and lastly that personal touch. The Shangri-La Vancouver keeps meeting, if not surpassing, that bar. And really, it is all for a remarkably affordable price too.

We'll be back!

Room Tip: Can't wrong. What is mysterious is that this hotel is contained in the tallest skyscaper in Van...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear MatthewV,

Thank you for taking time in writing this review. I am very delighted to hear that you have decided to stay with us during your wife's birthday. It is so nice to know that both of your had enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward welcoming you back at the Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Even though we only stayed one day, we enjoyed ever minute. The room was very spacious with asian inspired decor which offered a very relaxing environment. All the public spaces were simple yet welcoming and comfortable. And of course the staff were all professional and very helpful. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and do not have any negative comments about this wonderful property in the heart of Vancouver.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kari K, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear JCW461,
Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your short stay with us, hopefully you can stay longer on your next visit. It is so nice to hear that you find our room very spacious and really like the Asian inspired decors and that our staff were all professional and very helpful. We look forward welcoming you back on your next trip to Vancouver.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I have checked out of the Shangri La Vanouver after 23 straight nights there. We had an A+ stay. The staff couldn't have been friendlier, and endeavored to learn most of our groups name---and there were a lot of us----. The rooms are great and the bed---well---it was so good that I just ordered the same one from the hotel to ship to my home--so I would say that is quite an endorsement for sleep comfort.

Just a block away is Joe Forte's Seafood Restaurant, where we ended up quite often (try Happy Hour there, 50% of the appetizer menu and $1 buck an oyster (4 to 6 PM). We were there…a lot. Also check out their roof bar during the good weather days--easy to not even discover if you don't know it's there.

The hotel breakfast was wonderful….(not a buffet, but ala carte), but a good number of choices (a particular favorite for our group was the maple bacon).

The hotel never lets its (very friendly) bartenders over pour drinks by even a quarter ounce, no matter how loyal a customer you are, but there is also a liquor store one block up the street if you feel like a great room party and want to stock up. Oysters at the the hotel bar/restaurant are great, as is their cheeseburger if you want a bit of comfort food.

The concierge would always be able to get us into a nearby restaurant even if the restaurant itself would say they had no tables, so this was very helpful.

And the hotel is only a few blocks down from the water and the port terminal, so its' a nice walk.

Bottom line: It was a great stay and we'll be back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Dear WorldTravelerAsia,

Thank you so much for taking time in writing this review about our hotel and services. It is to nice to learn that you enjoyed your 23 straight nights at our hotel and that you had an A+ stay the entire time. I will pass on your comments to the team as I am sure that they will be very delighted to learn that we had provided excellent service to you during your stay. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Vancouver.
Yokohama, Japan
Reviewed May 11, 2014

The Shangri-la chain has always been my favorite in Asia so I was curious how it would translate to North America. I wasn't disappointed. As always, its the staff that make the experience special. The hotel is very nicely located, well decorated, furnished and maintained. But the staff were superb - check-in/out, concierge, restaurant and room service staff, housekeeping etc etc. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Dear HJF209,
Thank you for your review. I am glad to learn that our staff had made your experience as special as your other visits to our other Shangri-La properties in Asia. We definitely look forward seeing you back at the Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I recently visited Vancouver on a quick 3 day vacation from Calgary and decided to spend a little and stay at the Shangri La as a treat. I walked into the Shangri la from the street entrance where I was immediately greeted by a friendly concierge representative who directed me downstairs to the check in. Something about the hotel is that it is not "grandeur", but flawlessly executes understated elegance and luxury. Its not about extravagance, but more about making the whole hotel look well put together and relaxing to be in. I was checked in by an extremely helpful and pleasant lady who had notified that we had already been upgraded to a suite. She offered me an upgrade to a larger suite under the penthouse, but we graciously declined.
The room was fantastic, beautifully appointed, amazingly clean, Nespresso coffee in nice Japanese china, marble everything in the large bathroom.
Our unit had a balcony which unfortunately faces right out onto the construction of the trump tower, which was nice to get a quick vantage point of city, however, was far too loud to sit outside on. I understand that the construction across the street is not the hotels fault, but it ended up being a major pian when it started again at 6:30AM the next morning and we were trying to catch up on some much needed rest in the amazing beds. I room not facing the construction would have been greatly appreciated, or at least a warning, so we could adjust appropriately. For what it’s worth, I am not a very sound sensitive sleeper - this was loud!
The second problem revolved around when we came into the hotel later in the evening. As we walked into the check in area of the lobby we were greeted with an unfriendly a "do you need directions?", insinuating that we (young, casually dressed), did not belong at such a hotel.
Small things that really took away from an otherwise excellent hotel. Location is also amazing for the record.

Room Tip: Away from the construction side of the hotel is a must if your going on a weekday.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NeilCanuck
Dear NeilCanuk,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am glad to learn that you find our hotel very relaxing and that our staff was very pleasant and helpful. I would like to personally apologise for the construction noise endured during you stay with us and if you felt that our lobby staff was very unfriendly. I assure you that this is not what we strive for. We hope that you would still remember the wonderful experience with us and hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Vancouver.
Canada
Reviewed May 2, 2014

...it does come at a cost. For a value traveller, this will probably not meet your criteria but it is an excellent hotel with a wonderful workout facility. I did not rate it as excellent because I was disappointed with how long I had to wait to register with the hotel and discovered that a building is being constructed across the street from my room. Coming from the east, I was planning on going to sleep closer to 7 pm but was kept up for a couple of hours because of this construction.

The front desk staff should have notified me of this at such a high-end hotel.

I've stayed a several higher-end hotels in Vancouver and this is one of the better ones. It's very modern, great room and wonderful workout facitities. They're probably trying to compete with the Four Seasons but I'm not sure if they have everything right, yet.

My firm also hosted an event in one of their meeting rooms. My team found their staff very helpful and the lunch served was very good.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Kari K, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear stinkyrules,

Thank you for taking time in writing this review. I am glad that you had a very favourable experience with us during your recent stay and on your firm's lunch event in one of our meeting rooms. I apologise for the disturbance coming from the construction across the hotel. We hope to see you again at the Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver.