“Top Notch!”

Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver
Ranked #7 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Couldn't have been a better stay! They have a great security system that gives you a safety factor unequaled to any place I have been. The staff is impeccably uniformed, always smiling and so helpful in every way. Housekeeping was always on time for the week I was there. Even though construction was underway outside the room, no sound came through when the balcony door was closed and it even provided interesting entertainment when sitting on the balcony.
The only negative thing I could say is that the sun didn't shine and the weather was miserable, but the hotel stay was superb!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Vito R, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are certainly glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope that the sun shines on your next visit at the Shangri-La Hotel Vancouver.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

My wife and I decided to have a night without the kids and do some Christmas shopping on Saturday and stay downtown at the Shangri-La. Our room was very nice for a 5 star hotel. We have stayed at most of the 5 star hotels in Vegas and this was just as good and a touch better. The room was very comfortable as well as the bed. Very nice bathroom with a separate large tub and shower. It was hard to leave, we could have easily spent 2 more nights. The location is perfect for walking distance to the best restaurants and shopping in Vancouver. We had the deluxe breakfast in the morning as it was included with our stay and it was delicious and the service was excellent. Our next date night will be here again and hopefully we can stretch it out to 2 nights!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2013

The Shangri La Vancouver, was the perfect mix of opulence and comfort, with exemplary service standards and a superb menu on offer, I would rate it as one of the finest hotels that I have stayed at in recent times.

I stayed with at the Shangri La for two night and was so well cared for that it was hard to leave. The concierge was helpful and was knowledgable on all aspect of the city and navigating its chilly streets. The hotel is nestled right among the action in downtown Vancouver, a quick walk to the Pacific Centre, and some if the finest dining experiences Vancouver has to offer.

With regards to my suite, it was the pinnacle of perfection trumping the last three Fairmont's that I have visited as well as the Rimrock in Banff. The staff were faultless in all aspects and should be commended for their exemplary service. I have serious plans to visit Vancouver in the future and my home from now and forever more will be with the Shangri La Vancouver.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank NichCo
Vito R, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

We are very touched with your kind words. I will certainly pass along the message to our team. We are glad that you found your second home with us and we look forward welcoming you back on your next trip to Vancouver.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

I got a balcony room and was told I can smoke on the balcony. On check out they tell me there's ashes on the floor and the room smells. But they wouldn't show me the ashes and kept my deposit. WORST HOTEL

Room Tip: to add to my review if they actually saw ashes on the floor why not show me the ashes when I asked...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
2  Thank basantclist
Vito R, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

We appreciate the time you took to post your review of our hotel. We sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding regarding the smoking policies of our hotel. We would like to be able to discuss and resolve this matter with you directly and ask that you contact the hotel at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

This hotel is not only beautifully appointed, but lives up to and exceeds the service expectations of its 5 star status. Staff were always pleasant and ensured that my needs were met at all times. The only negative feedback would be related to housekeeping timing, as one day our room was not serviced until 4-5pm. However, the room was always adequately cleaned and housekeeping was accommodating if the room was in use.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Vito R, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

It is certainly nice to learn that we have exceeded your service expectation during your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies if we were not able to service your room early, we have recently improved our scheduling to ensure that guest rooms are serviced at the most appropriate time. We hope to welcome you back at the Shangri-La Hotel Vancouver on your next visit.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Everything about this hotel is amazing from the moment you arrive (extending before opening your car doors)

Room was extremely beautiful, clean, and has all the ammenities you need (yes, toothbrush, slippers, and shoecare included! - Rare in Vancouver/BC)

Breakfast at the Market, though menu looks average, the food and service post-ordering will give you the most memorable morning after!!

Truely an unique experience of luxury and an escape from the vancouver you've always known!!
Definately more value then the price paid.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Vito R, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Thank you for the kind words, we are delighted to learn that you had an excellent experience with us. We look forward welcoming you back to the Shangri-La Hotel.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is a beautifully decorated hotel, with a very nice front office manager (formerly with the Four Seasons). However, for a 5-star property, there were many issues I would consider unacceptable in a property of that caliber. Our room was a very peculiar design (a suite) with a lot of wasted space and small sitting area. The bathroom was huge, but the toilet area was tiny and the toilet tissue holder inconveniently place exactly where your knee was when on the toilet! The make-up mirror was in between the counter and the bathtub, not near a good lighting source, so not useful. The complicated shower apparatus with all sorts of attachments was OK, but hot water was not in large supply. We asked for the heat to be turned down, but no matter how we set the thermostat the room stayed overly warm for us. Almost NO closet space - literally room to hang one or two longer garments! We opened our balcony door to let in some fresh air and then the lock broke and we were told it was "fine" (we were on the 10th floor) and they would fix it when we left. The automatic drape opener was also broken in the bedroom. There were no comfortable chairs in the room for in-room dining. Only space on the desk for one of us to use our computer. The in-room dining was a big disappointment. The first person we spoke to (or tried to speak to) could barely be understood in English and didn't know anything about the menu. We found several things on the drink menu that she informed us they didn't have. When we called back she said oh, it was in the bar, but with further encouragement she finally got what we wanted included in our order. Dinner was adequate, but unremarkable. We tried the late night dining options in our room the next night, and they were very disappointing. The grilled cheese sandwiches were cold and the soup was not good. Also another operator who was difficult to understand. We also booked massages in the spa. My husband enjoyed his massage, but mine was disappointing. Again, the physical space is beautiful, but first the therapist thought I was having a different treatment than what I had booked. In the description of the massage there was no mention of 20 minutes in the steam room, which I don't like. It was very average. I think this property definitely has the "trendy" decor and lots of amenities in the room, but the food, spa, and even the design of the room itself was disappointing. The most shocking problem was the inability of the room service staff to speak English intelligibly and answer questions about the menu, or to go out of their way a little to get you what you wanted. I would not call this a 5 star property based on that alone. There is also no view, tons of construction noise all around the hotel and when we had gotten a late check-out (through AmEx platinum) our keys were deactivated before the check out time, so we had to go through showing ID, getting the keys reprogrammed, etc. I would go back to the Four Seasons next time.

Room Tip: Our "upgrade" to a suite was disappointing. I would have been upset had I paid extra for t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patti M
Vito R, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Thank you very much for your honest opinion. It is very disheartened to learn that our guest rooms were not specious enough during your stay, our bathroom layout was not suitable for you, the temperature of our guest rooms was too cold for you and that our staff was not able to assist you during your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is very important to us, and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations.