“Excellent service, beautiful accommodations”

Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver
Ranked #7 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 10, 2013

This hotel is not only beautifully appointed, but lives up to and exceeds the service expectations of its 5 star status. Staff were always pleasant and ensured that my needs were met at all times. The only negative feedback would be related to housekeeping timing, as one day our room was not serviced until 4-5pm. However, the room was always adequately cleaned and housekeeping was accommodating if the room was in use.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Vito R, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

It is certainly nice to learn that we have exceeded your service expectation during your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies if we were not able to service your room early, we have recently improved our scheduling to ensure that guest rooms are serviced at the most appropriate time. We hope to welcome you back at the Shangri-La Hotel Vancouver on your next visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,773)

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Everything about this hotel is amazing from the moment you arrive (extending before opening your car doors)

Room was extremely beautiful, clean, and has all the ammenities you need (yes, toothbrush, slippers, and shoecare included! - Rare in Vancouver/BC)

Breakfast at the Market, though menu looks average, the food and service post-ordering will give you the most memorable morning after!!

Truely an unique experience of luxury and an escape from the vancouver you've always known!!
Definately more value then the price paid.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Vito R, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Thank you for the kind words, we are delighted to learn that you had an excellent experience with us. We look forward welcoming you back to the Shangri-La Hotel.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is a beautifully decorated hotel, with a very nice front office manager (formerly with the Four Seasons). However, for a 5-star property, there were many issues I would consider unacceptable in a property of that caliber. Our room was a very peculiar design (a suite) with a lot of wasted space and small sitting area. The bathroom was huge, but the toilet area was tiny and the toilet tissue holder inconveniently place exactly where your knee was when on the toilet! The make-up mirror was in between the counter and the bathtub, not near a good lighting source, so not useful. The complicated shower apparatus with all sorts of attachments was OK, but hot water was not in large supply. We asked for the heat to be turned down, but no matter how we set the thermostat the room stayed overly warm for us. Almost NO closet space - literally room to hang one or two longer garments! We opened our balcony door to let in some fresh air and then the lock broke and we were told it was "fine" (we were on the 10th floor) and they would fix it when we left. The automatic drape opener was also broken in the bedroom. There were no comfortable chairs in the room for in-room dining. Only space on the desk for one of us to use our computer. The in-room dining was a big disappointment. The first person we spoke to (or tried to speak to) could barely be understood in English and didn't know anything about the menu. We found several things on the drink menu that she informed us they didn't have. When we called back she said oh, it was in the bar, but with further encouragement she finally got what we wanted included in our order. Dinner was adequate, but unremarkable. We tried the late night dining options in our room the next night, and they were very disappointing. The grilled cheese sandwiches were cold and the soup was not good. Also another operator who was difficult to understand. We also booked massages in the spa. My husband enjoyed his massage, but mine was disappointing. Again, the physical space is beautiful, but first the therapist thought I was having a different treatment than what I had booked. In the description of the massage there was no mention of 20 minutes in the steam room, which I don't like. It was very average. I think this property definitely has the "trendy" decor and lots of amenities in the room, but the food, spa, and even the design of the room itself was disappointing. The most shocking problem was the inability of the room service staff to speak English intelligibly and answer questions about the menu, or to go out of their way a little to get you what you wanted. I would not call this a 5 star property based on that alone. There is also no view, tons of construction noise all around the hotel and when we had gotten a late check-out (through AmEx platinum) our keys were deactivated before the check out time, so we had to go through showing ID, getting the keys reprogrammed, etc. I would go back to the Four Seasons next time.

Room Tip: Our "upgrade" to a suite was disappointing. I would have been upset had I paid extra for t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patti M
Vito R, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Thank you very much for your honest opinion. It is very disheartened to learn that our guest rooms were not specious enough during your stay, our bathroom layout was not suitable for you, the temperature of our guest rooms was too cold for you and that our staff was not able to assist you during your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is very important to us, and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I check in on Saturday... all seemed well... room was great... but then booked a message. The message I booked was poor and was approx. 15min short of my booked time... not wanting to get angry and impact my mood for the rest of the evening I just left and got ready for dinner. Arrived at dinner and they put my wife and I at a table that was so skinny I couldn't put both my arms on it...and I'm not a "big" guy... then Dinner arrived.... the Glazed Short Ribs. Now I was angry... it was one rib and dry. The $30+ dinner was out done by the $9 mashed potatoes... Seriously disappointed with the Shangril-la...I have spent twice as much for a dinner without a blink... but I felt I got what I paid for... this was just taking advantage of people... I didn't go into the evening expecting much, but found my experience and evening negatively impacted by my two extremely expensive, poor experiences....

Room Tip: Don't eat here... go to the Keg across the street and get real food...
1  Thank Karmazenophite

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and share your thoughts with us. I apologize if we fell short of your expectations and did not accommodate you on a larger table as well as the short ribs being dry and different to what you had expected. I will be sure to follow up with our team to review how we feel short in this instance. I can assure you we take pride in delivering a great culinary and service experience to our guests and that the experience you received is far below our standards. The next time you plan to visit MARKET by Jean-George, please feel free to reach out to me directly so I can rectify the situation you experienced and show you the true standards we are well known for.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

We have stayed at a number of Shangri-la properties in Asia and it is our number one pick, especially when in the business section (even though we are not on business).
The new Vancouver property offers a nice "romance package" - one night, valet parking, champagne and strawberries in the room, five course tasting menu at the highly rated Market restaurant, and breakfast in the room, or at Market the next morning.
The room was superb...we took a one bedroom suite. Smaller than our room in Bangkok, but then Vancouver land prices dictate the size of the building. Altogether a comfortable living room, bedroom and large bathroom with a shower that would accommodate 4 or 5 people.

Before dinner we went to Xi-Shi bar for a cocktail. Smart service just like we would get overseas. The star of the show was the steelhead salmon sashimi on crispy rice we ordered for a snack. I could of had a couple more plates and called it dinner. Excellent.

We had the five-course chef's tasting menu as part of the package. After an amuse bouche, we had seabream nigiri. It was followed (at a nice slow pace) with lightly fried sweetbreads with roasted pumpkin (yum) and a mix of nuts and exotic fruits and tart apple foam. Next came sablefish in a lentil broth. (sablefish is the expensive name for cold water cod). It was cooked to perfection - that is light and flaky and moist. Then we had venison loin perfectly cooked to a rare-to-medium-rare. I could not have been better. And then a dessert of an assortment of items.

We had the suggested wine pairing featuring the very best of BC wines. All were exactly the right wine for the dish.

Breakfast was luxury.

A very satisfying visit to Shangri-la - as usual.

Even if not on a "romance package", I would suggest going for a similar experience. Each component was excellent - the room, the bar, the restaurant and service, the breakfast.

They could use a bit more help at the check in - there was only one person there. We are used to checking-in in our suite or the private business bar, but the wait was only a few minutes.

I can't wait for my next Shangri-la experience - anywhere in the world.

Room Tip: Up grade to a suite, or consider business class. South facing rooms in the winter get sunset views...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Vito R, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. Our people are our greatest asset and we are very pleased to see that you enjoyed the experience provided by our culinary and service team. We are also very pleased that you enjoyed our Romance Package Promotion and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Afternoon tea at the Shangrila Vancouver has always been one of my
favourite places in Vancouver to go for tea for several years. I've tried
them all in Vancouver! (also tried Shangrila in Hong Kong - fantastic)

Their bespoke China is exquisitely beautiful, the food delicious and varied.
All the while being serenaded by their gifted resident pianist Perry. And
the service excellent until last weekend! Was entertaining out of town
guests from Boston (4 of us in total) and we were all dressed to the nines!
Made reservations 2 weeks in advance. We were taken to a "bar table" for
afternoon tea! Can you imagine? An elegant woman perched high up on a
stool sipping her tea? While us gents were dressed in business suits? No
way to sit back and relax at all. We've always sat in the comfy cushioned
lounge chairs. So we requested that an EMPTY corner table be set up for us
instead. They said it was reserved for a family with strollers. ( 30 mins
later 3 young teenager girls arrived with NO stroller or baby in tow!!!)
The new manager on duty reluctantly set us up on another table which was
fine. But the attitude he gave off to us was so unprofessional. So today
the tea cups came out unmatched with unmatched tea pot lids. No consistency
whatsoever! No matching sugar or creamers anymore. The creamer was cheap,
flimsy stainless steel and not even pretty! So i gently and politely
brought it to the attention of the server ( who was most hospitable,
friendly and gracious!) who then brought it to the attention of the manager.
I complimented the manager that Shangrila afternoon teas were the best in
the city! He didn't even want to hear my compliment to him! (how short
sighted) The food was considerably less than last time. There were no hot
appetizers or h'or d'oevres as the previous occasions! As we were leaving,
putting on our coats, the manager started to clear our table and didn`t
even ask how our experience was. Nor did he say good bye! So much for 5
star service in a 5 star hotel!! Such a shame!

Needless to say, that will be the last time we have afternoon tea at the
Shangrila!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank YVRFoodsnob
Vito R, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for letting us know about the unpleasant experience you had at Xi Shi Lounge during your recent afternoon tea service. I sincerely apologize that the experience was not up to your expectations. I have addressed this issue with the Management Team to ensure that a situation such as this does not occur in the future. Our Culinary and Service Teams are dedicated to providing you with an exceptional afternoon tea experience. With that being said, we'd very much like the opportunity to invite you back to Xi Shi Lounge so that we can make up for the short comings and restore your faith in the Xi Shi Lounge and in our afternoon tea. Please feel free to reach out to me directly and I would be happy to make the necessary arrangements on your behalf.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Great hotel, staff and service.
I was welcomed by friendly professional concierge on the LL entrance. I was immediately struck by the beautiful fragranced air which can be enjoyed in all common areas throughout the hotel. Check-in was easy; I arrived at noon however my room was not available until 3pm.
Baggage storage is available for patrons if needed.
I stayed at the Shangri-La for a week and each morning I was provided complimentary newspaper delivery which can be enjoyed with your nespresso as each room is equipped with a nespresso machine and a small selection of capsules(extra cost).
Housekeeping service is excellent. The staff are friendly and respectful of guests requests and preferences.
The hotel has a business office on the 3rd floor where guests can go to utilize computer, printing, fax, and meeting room services as needed. During my stay I required use of this service and I was appreciative to have had this available on site.

During my stay I planned to book a massage. I went to the hotel's Chi Spa to make an appointment with a male RMT however I was informed that there were no male RMT on staff; only non-RMT. This was disappointing as a non-RMT massage was quite pricey and I didn't feel that it warranted the cost so I decided to go to a competing hotel spa where I could get the service I was looking for.

Overall my stay at the Shangri-La was great. I would recommend this hotel to anyone planning to be in Vancouver and who want to be in close proximity to all that downtown has to offer.

Room Tip: There is construction on Alberni Street(South side of the hotel) which creates a lot of noise during...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Vito R, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Thank you for your nice comments. For the next time that you stay with us, please be advised that the use of Nespresso is complimentary. We apologize if we did not inform you about this during check-in. We also apologize that we do not have an in-house male RMT, this is something we are working towards in the future. We look forward welcoming you back to the Shangri-La Hotel the next time you are in Vancouver.