“And To All a Good Night!”

Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver
Ranked #7 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We enjoyed a great stay at the Shangi-La. The only glitch was the porter who brought up our bags upon arriving-he asked if he could fill up our ice bucket and 2 weeks later, we're still waiting for that bucket of ice! Don't know what happened to it. Other than that, a wonderful stay in an upscale hotel with fabulous views of the city.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Vito R, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Thank you for reviewing our property. I sincerely apologise that you did not receive the ice you were offered. I will be sure to touch base with my management team to see what happened. We hope to be given the opportunity to welcome you back to the Shangri-La Hotel Vancouver the next time you are in town.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We made a last minute decision to stay downtown on our anniversary...the front desk staff were incredibly helpful to find us the perfect room and package for our one night stay. All staff were very courteous and friendly, and the hotel property itself is very nicely finished. We'll go back for sure!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

from the time we checked in till our departure 3 days later everything was spectacular .we were upgraded to a suite very spacious . Breakfast and wifi was included . The concierge booked our air tickets to Victoria .Great restaurant picks

Room Tip: request corner balcony room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We chose the Shangri-La based on high reviews that we found on multiple trip adviser sites. The hotel itself was great. They upgraded us to the Executive Suite upon arrival (I had called in advance to let them know we were traveling for our honeymoon). Upon entering our room they even had laid rose petals through the living area and into the bedroom. The accommodations really were great in the room. They are very eco friendly so it was quite an experience figuring out all the lights, and opening the draps and such, but not terrible. The tv in the mirror of the bathroom was a plus for my husband. There was a full tub with an open air type shower to the right of it. Very spacious. The hotel restaurant though, The Market. Terrible. It was the worst dining experience of our entire trip. It took forever to be greeted by our server once we sat and our server, Bryce seemed like a bit of a snob when even greeting us. We ordered the watermelon salad and a tuna sushi option to start, both were ok, they didn't go above and beyond the norm at all. We then had ordered the crab cakes ( a whopping $21.00 by the way). I thought I read crab cakes, plural, but no it came out as one crab cake, so basically we each got one bite to share it. It as well wasn't the best crab cake I've ever had. For the price it actually kind of made me mad. The main course, my husband got the short ribs (literally that's all it was), you had to order sides separately. And I got the ravioli (dinner size). The server said that the dinner size was a good portion and I would be satisfied. Well I wasn't it was disgusting. Again we waited for this part of the meal for at least 35 minutes. Of which I guarantee the meal had been ready at least 15, by the time my ravioli made it to the table you could tell it had been cooking under a heat lamp. It wasn't soft to the bite like a ravioli should be at all, it was hard and just terrible. There was no flavor to the basil or spinach concoction it said it came with. I was not impressed. For the two hours it took to get that meal over with we spent $135.00 (for pretty much the worst meal ever) My husband had 1 beer. It just left me with a bad taste - literally. For the last meal we had in Vancouver, it was really disappointing.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Vito R, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and for letting us know how we could have done better. Please allow me to apologise on behalf of our team for the inconvenience you endured, and assure you that this situation is not indicative of the standards we want to be known for, or strive to provide. It is disheartening to know that your experience with us was less than favourable. Please note that I have addressed your points with the relevant department heads and taken measures to ensure that experiences such as these are prevented in the future.

As we would hope to see you return to the Shangri-La so we may be given an opportunity to rectify the situation you experienced, please feel free to contact me and I will make sure you are offered a complimentary dinner for two at MARKET by Jean-Georges restaurant the next time you visit Vancouver.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at the Shangri-La Hotel last year and had an amazing time. The rooms are well appointed, spotless, and have a great sense of luxury. The food at The Market Bar is always 2nd to non and the bartenders can mix you anything you ask. The only real downsides - splitting hairs here - are the lack of views due to being surrounded by tall buildings and the small'ish pool.

Room Tip: i would recommend staying on the west, north or east sides that favour the north of the building unt...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2013

While booking the staff were accomodating and catered to special requests. The room was luxurious clean and comfortable with all the amenities I could have needed. It was one of the best hotel experiences I have had.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Shangri-La Vancouver was beautiful, quiet and one of the roomiest stays we have had in a long time. Huge bathroom; all the amenities you could want (except for lotion), floor to ceiling windows and all the IT bells and whistles a room should have. Service at this hotel is excellent. Needs are attended to very quickly. Great concierge. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: There was construction directly across the street from us but I didn't hear any of it. Our room...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple