“I think I probably was unlucky” 3 of 5 bubbles

Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver
Ranked #6 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“I think I probably was unlucky”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

So I arrive dog tired with two bags. The lobby is in the basement. Go figure. So after a warren of tunnels and elevators I arrive and check in.

Dude at the check in watches me struggle with my bags. Does he lift a manicured finger? Nope.

So I struggle up to my room. Couple of thoughts:

The architect of this hotel is an idiot. Super narrow corridors that twist and turn. You feel claustrophobic even if you aren't. The rooms are weirdly laid out. Giant closets for no reason. Fans in the bathroom that look unclean even though I am sure they are not. Rooms are small. I had a extra big one with a balcony. The balcony was a joke. A shower stall like room almost all glassed in. See my review on the Pacific rim re a proper patio room.

Service was spotty from there on in at best. In the restaurant it was terrible. On check out it was superb. concierge is super.

Super competitive market for high end hotels in Vancouver. Shangri-la needs to try harder.

PS the restaurant here Jean George is not a draw unless you are a huge fan of peeled grapefruit.

Room Tip: Dont pay extra for the shower stall sized balcony unless you like small glass rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank parrot101
Vito R, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. Guest feedback is the only true way for us to measure the effectiveness of our service delivery and unfortunately in this case, it has come at your expense as well as a poor way for you to remember us by. Please note that I have shared your review with the management team so that these issues will be looked in to. I hope to see you return to the Shangri-La so we may be given an opportunity to show you our true hospitality.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

The best, most comfortable hotel in which I have ever stayed. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff - help and assistance always given with a cheerful smile. My room was extremely luxurious and very comfortable. I stayed for ten nights and was really sad when the time came to leave. I very much look forward to another visit to a Shangri-La Hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have stayed at the Shangri-La Makati (Manila) many times in the past and always had a wonderful experience and I must say that the Shangri-La Vancouver is no different: Wonderful, friendly staff and an exquisite room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

A long weekend stay at the end of September to celebrate my wife's birthday.
Very nicely furnished and well presented, it all has a very high-end look & feel. Every member of staff extremely professional, friendly and helpful - they really made us feel at home. The service is impeccable.
We we upgraded to a one-bedroom suite which was terrific. The living space and bedroom are a little compact which is not surprising since the city has a high density of population and land/space are at a premium - that said, the bathroom was spacious and quite luxurious. The only downside of significance is that the was limited hanging and cupboard space for clothing.
The bar is a litle small and was quite quiet on a Thursday night....we need to check it out on a Friday and Saturday night.
There is some construction noise from the sites either side of the hotel but it was not obtrusive and did not spoil our visit at all.
Overall, a fabulous hotel and a great experience. We'll be back.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

I spent a night at Shangri-La for business and it was nothing like any other place i have stayed there before. The Hotel is located central to places to eat and places to go shopping. My favorite place to eat very close by is the Cactus Club, their food there is amazing (my fav is the Spaghettini with Prawns and Scallops). We also had an amazing coffee and Sugar Bun at "G". I was impressed by the room's hi tech stuff, you basically have all the buttons right next to your bed that will do everything for you like open the drapes, turn on lights etc. The TV on your vanity mirror surpasses them all. It was nice to be able to finish your show or watch news while finishing up your hair or brushing your teeth...amazing experience :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

I can't express enough gratitude to the team at the Shangri-La Hotel. I had a major brand launch event spanning two days with an abundant of special requests - complicated deliveries, specific menu and wine pairings, two events with set up and tear down... you name it - we had it.

Aside from being a beautiful first class hotel with all the luxury and amenities you'd expect from a 5star property, the people of the Shangri-La are some of the finest I've ever had the pleasure of working with. Everyone at the Shangri-La had a hand in making my events spectacular and for that, I am eternally grateful.

For business or personal I would recommend the Shangri-La Hotel Vancouver over and over again.

Room Tip: Executive King room was fabulous!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

On August 4th my wife and I were married at the Shangri-La. Our experience with the hotel and its staff has always been and continues to be outstanding. A couple years ago my fiance (at the time) and I had an opportunity to stay at this hotel and it impressed us so much that it became a benchmark on which to judge other hotels. When it became time to look for a venue for our wedding we flew out to Vancouver and booked the Shangri-La without giving it another thought.

Throughout the entire planning process their staff was incredibly helpful and a great source of information for an out of town couple. They were able to recommend anything from DJ's to cake bakers, to even activities in the city for out of town guests. The ceremony was held on the outside terrace which was narrow but created an intimate setting. The view from the terrace was a unique blend of urban and nature, the line of sight was frames by tall buildings on both sides of Thurlow street extending down to the water. Beyond that in the distance were the mountains and the skyline. The hotels' restaurant, Market, catered the event for us and the food was amazing. We are still having guests tell us how delicious their meals were. Sally, who is the director of events manager, was meticulous in helping us prepare for the event. She really went above and beyond for us and on the day of our wedding she was at the hotel very early and she was still there checking in to make sure things were still going smoothly for us well past 1am. She was very dedicated to making our day special and we are very grateful to her.

The rooms were immaculate. The beds are large and extremely comfortable, and the bathrooms are all marble. We were married on a long weekend and everything was booked up as it was a busy weekend for Vancouver. Regardless Shangri-La was still able to set aside a more than adequate block of rooms and a great rate for our guests.

The hotel has a great fitness room room and an outdoor pool and hot tub. It was very relaxing to sit in the hot tub in the evening and watch the Vancouver skyline change colours as dusk set in. With this location you are in walking distance to all downtown attractions. The morning of our wedding the two of us snuck of at 6 am and walked to a local coffee shop and took a moment to ourselves while the city slept.

We stayed for an additional 7 days after the wedding. Throughout this time the service continued to be beyond excellent and even though the hotel was booked completely it was very quiet and it was easy to forget that the hotel was full.

My wife I would would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone planning an event or just looking for a great place to vacation. We would definitely stay again and we are looking forward to seeing some of the other Shangr-La's around the world.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vito R, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for your kind review. We very pleased to hear that you had an exceptional stay with us. I will be sure to share your lovely comments with Sally. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Vancouver.