“Ultra-Luxury - but very expensive”

Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver
Ranked #7 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 24, 2011

I stayed here last year with my husband when they were having a $100 dining credit promotion. It was beautiful, everything is luxe luxe luxe, but it is VERY expensive as well. You are checked in in the room itself, which is a little strange but emblematic of the Shangri-La brand.

If you travel often and are looking for something different - this is a fabulous choice. There is nothing quite like the Shangri-La. Just check out the front entrance!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sarasingh
Write a ReviewReviews (1,775)

Reviewed March 11, 2011

Stayed here for a couple of days pre Xmas and then again for a couple of days after New Years 2011. My wife and I like to do a lot of walking when holidaying in cities and the shangri la was so central it was easy to get back to no matter which direction you chose to go. Add to that Urban Fare a gourmet supermarket just out the back door and you had easy breakfast, lunch or dinner (we had a baby so sometimes this was a great option). Service was always friendly and sincere and the rooms were beautifully furnished. Would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 2, 2011

The service at this hotel is by far the best I have ever experienced. Our room was amazing; dinner at Market was fun, romantic and both our dinner and breakfast were incredible! We went and relaxed by the pool and the gentlemen working made us protein smoothies that were to die for ! I spilt on my white blazer at dinner and they dry cleaned it for me that evening and returned it to my room, that’s service! Overall this beautiful hotel is my fav in Vancouver!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2011

It has been almost a year since my stay at the Shangri-La Hotel, and I am still reveling in the joy of my stay.

The Shangri-La lived up to its reputation as a fine luxurious hotel from the moment my husband and I arrived. There was a hand-written note from the manager welcoming us to the hotel, as well as a bowl of fresh fruits and an arrangement of dendrobium orchids in the room. Every detail was glorious: the way the drapes and lighting could be controlled from computerized panels by the bed, the mirror with built-in LED TV in the bathroom, and the way the hairdryer cord was wrapped concentrically around its handle.

The service was as impeccable as the decor. We ordered room service several times, and not only was the food outstanding and accompanied by a small centerpiece of fresh orchids, but the staff swiftly rearranged the table and the sofa in our room to allow for an ideal dining configuration. Turn-down service provided us with a new bookmark every night. The staff respectfully addressed us by title/name and seemed eager to provide anything else we might have desired, as if it were possible to desire anything more!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Vancouver. It is the finest hotel I have ever experienced. I only wish there were more Shangri-La's in North America.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2011

The ambiance of the Shangri-La is luxurious and tranquil. The professionalism of the staff made us feel welcomed from beginning to end. We have stayed in many hotels all around the world and the Shangri-la has raised the bar for the industry. Our next Shangri-la experience cannot come soon enough!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2011

There is nowhere to escape the heavy perfume piped into every corner of this otherwise beautiful hotel. It's not just that I'm allergic to some scents, and violently allergic to this one. It 's that customers should be informed, and have the right to choose. Though marketed as their 'signature', it's not even natural, but reeks of chemical fakery. A kindly member of cleaning staff showed me the hidden openable window and with the heat/air conditioning shut off, it was tolerable -- provided I didn't mind the freezing cold. To get to meetings, I held my breath and dashed through smelly elevators, hallways and lobbies, then retreated to my room for meals and (chilly) sleep. The beds, linens, amenities, room and bath are lovely. A major high-end hotel should have the courtesy to tell guests in advance about its perfume-permeated environment and give them a choice. Offer it on a particular floor, or in selected rooms. Don't ruin the entire hotel, and don't ruin my entire stay! Public places are now smoke-free; many are also scent-free. This is a wake-up call to management. You charged me a fortune for a room that was a misery and a hazard to my health!

Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
28  Thank visitingprof
Reviewed January 31, 2011

We stayed at the Shangri-La Vancouver for 4 nights in January 2011. I had originally paid for a superior room with twin beds and without breakfast on the hotel website, but they were nice enough to change it to the Winter Wonderland package upon request. This included breakfast ($60 credit/day for 2 pax). The cost was CD$347/night inclusive of taxes.

The location of the hotel is perfect. Right in downtown Vancouver with Robson street, the main shopping area, just behind the hotel. However, the layout is unusual as the main reception is one floor below ground level. Tell your taxi driver to enter the underground carpark which is where you will find the entrance to the reception. This is great for people who want privacy. The doorman was efficient in opening the car door and getting our bags. The reception area was small and thus gave the feeling of a private check-in for guests. The receptionist was very welcoming, friendly and ushered us to the lift. The hotel is the tallest building in British Columbia and occupies the first 15 floors. Our room was located on the 14th floor.

The room was of adequate size for a Superior room. The interior design was zen-like with chinese paintings on the walls. There was a hand written card from the manager welcoming us to the hotel which I thought was nice. We had a great view of the city surrounded by office buildings. The flat screen TV was the largest I had seen in any hotel room. You could control the intensity of the room lighting (instead of just on/off) but I found the room to be very dim; great for those who want to get some sleep! You could draw and open the blinds and curtains with the touch of a switch. The beds were exceptionally comfortable. The minibar was adequate with a nespresso coffee machine. They also provided welcome fruits (only on the first night), complimentary daily newspapers and free mineral water bottles during turn down service. The bathroom was almost all marble and was beautifully designed with the usual L’occitane bath products. The TV in the mirror was certainly a pleasant surprise! However, I felt that the bathroom was quite small (maybe because it was a superior room). There is complimentary internet in the room. Alternatively you could use the business centre with internet, fax and printing services.

The Concierge is located on the street level which is where the hotel’s main lobby is located. This place felt more like the entrance to a private luxurious living room with a warm fireplace, large chandeliers and plush sofas. It didn’t look like your usual hotel lobby and you would never find large group of tourists hanging around. You really have to get acquainted with which entrances lead to the hotel lobby as we walked into the residential entrance and had to walk through a “maze” before we found the lifts to the hotel rooms. The main lobby entrance was very understated with 2 chinese lion statues at the revolving door. There was no doorman to welcome you. They really should have more staff in this area to attend to the guests as I felt that the Concierge was always busy. Before I arrived at the hotel, the Concierge was extremely helpful in providing information on day tours and booking transportation to Whistler. Communication was done efficiently via email. During my stay, the Concierge was helpful in pointing out the local sights and recommending dining options. They even had the restaurant menus! However, I felt that they could have taken it to the next level and have been more personal rather than just telling me information which I could google from the Internet if I had time.

We had breakfast at the Market restaurant everyday. The service was great and one of the waitresses (she seemed like eastern european) was exceptionally friendly and talked to us about the weather and places of interest in Vancouver. The food was good, not exceptional. Don’t order the chinese breakfast. I didn’t like the french toast as it seemed as if the toast was deep fried and too sweet for my liking. The banana pancakes were great!

What I didn’t like. The layout of the hotel is unusual as tour buses cannot stop anywhere along the hotel to pick you up. We had to wait for our Whistler coach at the Hyatt hotel which was a 10-15 minute walk away. When we asked the hotel how we could get there, they suggested walking there. I’m sure they could have considered the fact that we could have many pieces of luggage and dragging it all the way to the Hyatt in the horrible Vancouver rain wasn’t such a good idea. It would have been nice if they offered hotel transport but we took a cab anyway. The hotel was certainly splendid like any other Shangri-La should be, but it lacked the hospitality, sincerity and personal touch which I have experienced at other Shangri-La hotels. They don’t really value their guests here. I had to call room service 4 times (over a span of 2 days) before I could get two pairs of bathroom slippers and the mineral water that I asked for never came. This is absolutely unacceptable especially when the person on the other line tells you “we will get it for you straight away”. I also question what benefits a Golden Circle member could enjoy at the hotel as I could see none being a member myself. So why bother having such a membership programme in the first place? If I were to return to Vancouver, I’d probably stay at another hotel such as the Four Seasons where I would most likely get better service.

• Stayed: January 2011