“My fave lunch spot!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: South Granville
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Rangoli offers small plates of Indian food and it is for this reason if I am in the neighbourhood and feeling a little hungry, it is my number one go-to. There are a LOT of vegetarian options, about half the menu is veg. I have never had a dish that I thought was only OK. Every time, the food delivers. Even the meat-eaters I know love the food, veg and non-veg, here.

My favourite thing to order at Rangoli is the samosa dish. Two samosas are the perfect size for lunch, or it's great to share with someone else as an appetizer. The plates are fairly small, so if you have a large appetite, you may have to order a couple of dishes or be disappointed. I prefer Rangoli to Vij's as the food seems less complicated. It is also way less expensive and you can usually get a seat.

The menu is the same for dinner or for lunch, but I prefer it as a lunch spot as the seating is kind of crammed and it is not a very relaxing environment. The turnover is fairly quick, likely for this reason.

3  Thank Robyn E

Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

The food was good, a bit hot for hubby. While the veges were fresher than at most indian restaurants, it was a bit of a mush. I assume that this is a pale comparison to vij

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had just landed in Vancouver, just before the lunching hour, and were searching for somewhere to eat. I pulled out my trusty iPhone to discover through the enRoute app that Vij's Rangoli was just 6km north of where we were as we began our search for eats.

I'll start out by saying I'm a big Indian food lover. My partner isn't. However, I prevailed, and to cut to the chase -- she loved it.

I ordered a lamb curry -- the lamb was melt-in-your-mouth delicious, great flavour with just enough heat. She had a chickpea curry -- large chickpeas, and fabulous Naan was wonderful.

This is not your Indian food local chow kind of place. They've definitely modernized and raised the bar for Indian food, and it is really delicious. And very reasonably priced -- lunch was probably around $40.00 for two, but I spent far more, as I was entranced by the really lovely stainless steel containers of various masalas that I had to buy. And I did.

I brought some home, and proceeded to make some lamb with the Vij's masala -- I have to tell you, it's not quite there. In fact, it's got a bit of a ways to go. So, there's some seriously good skill in that kitchen that is just not that easy to reproduce.

Go -- eat.

And just try to do it at home -- and you'll see just how special this place is.

1  Thank StephenM465
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We decided to head to Rangoli because Vij's next door had a 1.5 hour waiting.Rangoli has a casual restaurant atmosphere.Quick service with servers helping us to make choices. The dishes are tweaked to suit the western palate.I ordered a pakora curry with pilaf dish and I was salad served with it was the tastiest part of the meal. The chutney served with samosas was tasty.The owner is very courteous and did check on us while we were eating.Not a place for Indians missing authentic Indian food

1  Thank ShailajaVora
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Rangoli is part of the Vij's Rangoli restaurant property. Sitting adjacent to the highly popular Vij's Rangoli it is a hidden gem of itself. The spices are all from the same rack but the preparation is different and the cuts of the same meats may be different. From the cooling yogurt dips to accompany the spicy appetizers to the ever so simply elegantly prepared main dish it is an eating experience you will not soon forget. I won't be lining up anymore for an hour to go to Vij's I will simply see if I can get into Rangoli. And I must admit the aesthetics of both restaurants are equally appealing but I might be leaning more to the laid back but modern look of Rangoli. And folks, what a great price point.

2  Thank CityMice