“Good brunch”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Redondo Beach, California
“Good brunch”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Found this place on Yelp on our first day in Vancouver. The reviews looked promising and it was very close to where we were staying. For a Tuesday early afternoon the place was packed and we had to wait about 20-25 minutes before we were seated. There were a couple empty tables but they didn't seat people as the tables got empty, instead they waited until about 50% of the seats were empty then sat us down. I thought that was a little interesting. It made sense after because all the tables were pretty close together. It would be pretty annoying having to move the tables in the middle of a meal.

We ordered:

La Santé (soft boiled egg, vine ripened tomato, olive tapenade, avocado, prosciutto, extra virgin olive oil, grilled ciabatta) - I ordered it because I never had a soft boiled egg this way before. Everything together was really good, except for the olive tapenade. I'm not a huge fan of olives. The soft boiled egg was cooked to perfection and it was a fun experience for me to crack it open.

Saumon Fumé (open faced ciabatta sandwich. Fried egg, smoked salmon caper cream cheese, sliced avocado, arugula peppadew and artichoke salad) - smoked salmon was nice and fresh and the caper cream cheese was a good balance.

Waffle with dark chocolate sauce - these Belgian waffles looked exactly like these waffles that I LOVE in Lake Tahoe, unfortunately the taste wasn't the same. They were a little more dense than I expected. The dark chocolate sauce was really rich and I liked that.

The food was pretty good but I think it was a little on the pricey side for the amount of food that you get. Service was nice and friendly. I would have loved to come back and try their dinner menu. It didn't occur to me by the name of the restaurant that it was a Moroccan place. I'll have to save that for another trip.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Northern Virginia, Virginia
“Great place for Breakfast”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We had a late breakfast at this very popular Vancouver restaurant. Their Earl Gray tea was unusual and very fragrant. I have to call the Cafe to find out what brand they used. My Fricassé was tasty but on the sweet side due to raisins that was not listed on the menu. I am not a raisin lover, so I tried to give all my raisins to my husband. Even my raisin loving husband didn’t care for them. Anyway, the combination of the short ribs, potatoes, onions and cheddar was satisfying. My husband enjoyed his Cassoulet but was not crazy about the bacon. My mom liked her Saucisse Maison and I took a bite of her tasty Chambar Pork Sausage and juicy plum. My father found his Tagine on the spicy side and he said there were no olives in his dish. Service was professional and we had pretty good breakfast and were ready to hit the streets of Vancouver. You can see the pictures at:

Charlotte, NC
“one of the most interesting, unique and intriguing breakfasts”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Probably one of the most interesting, unique and intriguing breakfasts. The menu is Moroccan-inspired, so a little different than your typical bacon and eggs. I had the (breakfast) paella which was delicious. However, my husband had the fricassee which was outstanding, and one of the items they are known for. My only disappointment is that we tried this restaurant on our last day in Vancouver and could not go back again.

Visited September 2013
“For a leisurely one-of-a-kind brunch”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Tips:
1. No reservations so only plan for a seated breakfast if you have time for a possible wait and a leisurely brunch. Otherwise, come early
2. The lavender latte and waffles are available for carry out – I bought extra waffle sauces so I can sample them with waffles once back in LA.
3. Order different dishes and share among your party so you can sample more items.
_________________
I really enjoyed this place. It was a priced a little more than some places but I was on vacation and this definitely was not just a regular brunch place.

Researching ahead, I heard about the lines so I planned on getting there early. I was there by 8:20am at which time, there was plenty of seating and I realized why - the kitchen opens at 9am during weekdays. I decided this would be a good excuse to start with a lavender latte and the waffle with the salted caramel sauce. It was heavenly. I've never had lavender latte before and I enjoyed the subtle nuance in each whiff and sip. The waffle with the sauce was decadent and made me feel like I was having dessert before my meal.

Finally, when the kitchen opened, I had the Tagine, which was spicy and very flavorful but perfectly balanced by the accompanying side of yogurt/hummus blend.

During this time, I noticed that all seating was taken by 9:15am and they had a waiting list started. Even with the line of waiting people, I was allowed to take my time and enjoy the meal.

I hate waiting so I understand why people can get upset especially if they had limited time to go back to their cruise ships. So plan ahead because they don’t take reservation. However, I would say that it would certainly be worth the wait.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Dexina
Victoria, Canada
“Not worth the wait!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

A brunch to forget! Very much overrated...the space itself, very small with little ambience, wait staff seems to have difficulty maneuvering in confined space as well. Service was friendly but very inattentive…had to get our own table setting and then waited over 40 minutes for our meal…did I mention, we waited 30 minutes just to get in! Now, the food itself was good but very complex, perhaps too much so. Too much going on with the flavor profiles. The menu itself, very exotic….again, too much so….perhaps, would have liked to see their interpretation of some of the more classic brunch dishes. Despite contrary comments, did not find the meal overpriced.

Would we go back, probably not…certainly would not wait to get in!