“Great Mains, Overrated Waffles”
Review of Cafe Medina

Cafe Medina
Ranked #10 of 3,845 Restaurants in Vancouver
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We had brunch at Cafe Medina one Sunday morning. We had been warned by the concierge at our hotel that the wait time could be up to an hour and had set out to find another restaurant. When we walked by and saw what looked like a reasonably short line, we joined it. In all we waited only another 15 minutes to be seated.

We ordered the Fricasse and theTagine both of which were delicious. Additionally, we ordered waffles. They are highly overrated and really poor examples of a waffle. They were thin, dry, and room temperature. Some diners may be impressed by the sauces, but we thought they were mediocre at best. An interesting twist on the mimosa is good. My partner had a coffee and Baileys.

The restaurant space is weird. There are two sections- the store front space visible from the street , and a rear space at the back of the building which is connected to the front by a long, unattractive, and poorly maintained corridor.
Service was fine, but we felt our waiter adopted a staged aloofness and edge. Prices are extremely reasonable.

If you’d asked me while I was eating if I’d go back, I’d say absolutely. After leaving the restaurant, I don’t think so. Hygiene may be an issue here. When we later observed the waffle iron through the window of the restaurant, it and the surrounding counter were filthy.

1  Thank Fearful
There are newer reviews for Cafe Medina

Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely Sunday brunch with friends here. We arrived before they opened to a line already forming. Luckily we were seated with the first diners. The salted caramel waffle was crunchy and gooey, a piece of heaven early Sunday morning. Can also highly recommend the Paella eggs, it was a bit of Spain and California all in one skillet.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

You know - that little boutique restaurant, specializing in breakfasts, usually in a reclaimed building, that everyone insists you try. On a recent visit to Vancouver, the 'kids' took my wife and I to Cafe Medina 556 Beatty Street. It was an easy walk from our hotel, The Met, and soon we were in that preprandial social event - the lineup. Only 45 minutes - good deal!! A very efficient version of the breakfast maitre-d' policed the crowd, regularly called and rechecked the roll and ushered us to our table for four, through the bowels of the building to a bright a cheery room with a view of - I forget. I was facing the wrong way. But it was cheery and there was a view. My wife had the cassoulet, for me, the paella and frequent sharing took place. I know, you're thinking paella for breakfast! Ah but it was crowned with a soft cooked poached egg and avocado. Great service, fun food, wonderful coffee - an excellent choice.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We went here for breakfast one of the days of our trip to take a break from the food cart marathon we were on. Somehow, we lucked out and arrived at the perfect time to be seated right away, but the lineup started shortly after. Even if we would have had to wait out in the rain, it definitely would have been worth it.
Service: super friendly and helpful
Food: outstanding breakfast & waffles (lunch offerings looked great, but we were there for the breakfast)
Coffee: excellent coffee and tea selection
Do the right thing and go eat here!

Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Waffles were delicious and for 3 bucks each you can get 3-4 without spending too much ( they're small). The toppings were pretty good- we tried the salty caramel, milk chocolate lavender (the lavender is strong with that one) , and the raspberry caramel -- the winner. We also split the fricasse which was delicious.

I'd seen the line outside and heard this place was overhyped- but we got in after waiting maybe 5 minutes and it was as good as everyone said.