“The best way to kick off a trip to Europe, skilled chefs” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Globe @ YVR

Globe @ YVR
Ranked #1,062 of 3,677 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“The best way to kick off a trip to Europe, skilled chefs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Excellent meal every time I visit. This is my favourite send off place, the food is fantastic and I never eat on the plane. I highly recommend it for any one with time on their hands before their flight and who do not like airplane food. Just go up the escalators at the end of the Departures area to the Fairmont Airport Hotel. This is the restaurant next to the Jetside Bar. Fantastic service and consistently top notch.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Katherine M

Vancouver, Canada
“Should have gone into town.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband stayed at the Fairmont YVR (LOVE this hotel!) in April of 2013. We had just returned from a trip and were tired. However, it was our anniversary and we wanted to celebrate. Instead of taking the Canada Line into town, we decided to eat at Globe in the hotel.
I ordered a Stoly vodka martini, a little dirty with extra olives. This is something I order regularly when I go out. My first sip indicated that something wasn't quite right with this martini. It almost tasted sweet...as if the wrong vermouth had been added? I returned it after one sip to the very helpful waitress. My drink was returned to me a couple of minutes later...warm, and in a clean glass. It tasted just the same.
My son, who currently works as a bartender told me that the staff had simply poured the old drink into a new glass and re-delivered it to me. I did not drink it...but I was charged.
Our meal was good - not great...but good. We are used to high end dining out in Vancouver, so I guess we are pretty hard to impress. The drink thing really, really irritated me though....especially after talking to my son about it and finding out what had happened.
So, when staying at YVR - delight in all that the Fairmont Hotel has to offer - just make sure it doesn't include the Globe!!

• Visited April 2013
London,UK
“Food Excellent, Service Variable, Decor Drab”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We dined here twice in a matter of weeks, both times the food was excellent, though the service was variable. The second time the service was excellent, the first amateur at best, but chatting to our waitron the second time the issue was a known server who might no longer be there. So giving the benefit of the doubt this will concentrate on the second visit.

Fine dining at an airport isn't usual but as the Fairmont Hotel is IN the airport it makes sense! The ambience is a little hotel lobby lacking warmth and intimacy so I wouldn't recommend this for honeymooners!

The welcome was genuine and warm. We joined our friends at the table as they arrived before us. Aperitifs were offered and gratefully accepted along with our water choice. For starters I had the seared Qualicum Bay with bacon and eggs carbonara and meyer lemon marmalade. The carbonara was incredibly tasty and induced a yearning for paglia e fieno which I later satisfied at home. The main was a tasty sea food paella. This was beautifully presented with fresh sea food. I'd opted to swap the pork belly for chorizo. My only slightly negative comment would be that the rice seemed more like arborio so the paella had a more risotto like consistency.

We all enjoyed the food - this really is a top class restaurant. It helps that the open plan kitchen is right there visible - we actually sat by the pass!

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Vancouver, Canada
“Good, but not "wow"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Went here for their high tea with a coupon I got from groupon. The high tea set came with a choice of tea. There weren't that many varieties to choose from. I got their egyptian chamomile tea, and it came in a big jug. The flavour wasn't really strong, and it didn't taste very good. The savory part of the high tea was impressive. I especially enjoyed their aged chedder and apple with basil leaf sandwich. I loved the fresh basil taste with chedder, the flavours really came well together. The scones were also delicious. The butter that came with is was so creamy that my sister ended up eating plain butter with her spoon! Now I wasn't a big fan of their sweets. Everything was either too sweet, or had a really bad texture. I'd say the whole set was a little too pricey for $39 per person value, but overall, I had a great time! I would come back for their high tea if they switch up the sweets and if I have another coupon!

• Visited July 2013
Vancouver
“Lunch @ Globe @ YVR”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Lunch was just OK. I had the fish and chips. The fish was not that fresh and the chips were very salty. On the positive the staff, service, view and ambience was great.

• Visited July 2013