“What a great surprise -- and a delight!”

Baru Latino Restaurante
Reserve with OpenTable
Baru Latino Restaurante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #637 of 3,945 Restaurants in Vancouver
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Point Grey
Cross street: West Broadway / West 10th Ave
Transit: 99B Line stop, #7 Dunbar,#4, #17, #9
Reviewed January 6, 2012

We were looking for a place to celebrate my wife's birthday. The Baru Latino restaurant looks inviting from the outside -- attractive lighting and a warm ambiance. The restaurant proved to be a complete delight. We had tapas this evening, selecting six dishes (including a dessert). The items were superb - tasty, well-presented, and substantial servings. The service personnel were great, relaxed and well-informed.

Put this place on your list of restaurants to visit on the west side of Vancouver. It is a real treat!

Reviewed September 20, 2011

This little Point Grey latin restaurant is an absolute find! who knew? I have dined here 6 times now.. and I can't wait to go again! The decor, the ambiance, the lighting, the music check check check it's all just perfectly put together. The food is unique in its content and flavors very Argentinian.The roasted plantain dish is just yummy! Order that first with the seared scallop and advocado starter and you will be so satisfied! I have had their Paella dish 2 x and OMG ..loaded full of seafood halibut,scallops,prawns, mussels, chorizo,on this spicy yummy rice! now I'm craving it again! My friend had the Argentinian steak dish and it looked so unbelievable I can't wait to try it! I can't say enough good things about Baru... there is no way to be disappointed! The only observation I have made ONly for my own preference is it can be quite Hot in there with the candles and small area.. so I suggest not to sit in the far corner! The tables in front closer to the door are more comfortable in that regard. I also have to mention the service is fast and efficient and the servers are happy friendly and that just makes the whole dining experience memorable and leaves you wanting to return which I now think I will do tonight!

1  Thank LoliB818
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This small and relax restaurant has a latin-fusion menu with meals based on latin meals (mostly from Colombia). If you are looking for a fun, stylish, dark (and may romantic if you are between 20 and 32 years old) restaurant with new, safe (for those whose don't like the odd food) and well cooked flavors, then this place is fantastic. If you are looking for a true Colombian or Latin meal, better do not waste your time.
The price if not cheap but you pay for quality and the location is a bit out of the way, but this make it even more special. Unless you live nearby, you should drive or take a cab. There is little to walk around the place.
It was a bit too loud to bring clients but it was definitely a lot of fun. try the Plantain chips!
Enjoy!

2  Thank Alexander013
Reviewed February 22, 2011

I have been going to Baru for years and it is consistently the best food in town. Each dish is so flavourful and creative that you just cant stop ordering. And surprisingly after you eat a ton, the bill is suprisingly reasonable. The margaritas are so amazing that we spent an entire day trying to recreate them so we could make them at home. We have taken out of town guests there who absolutely raved, and recently gave gift certificates to Baru for birthday presents because we love it so much and want to share our find. I cant imagine anyone giving it a negative review. The atmosphere is almost the best part. It has a warm, hip decor, always lively and busy, and we often stop in after a movie for a drink and a little tapas to get our fix. The only negative is the service sometimes. It can be slow and we have found a server or two to have a bit of attitude. But for the most part, our experiences have been extremely positive.

1  Thank VancouverKoukla
Reviewed February 6, 2011

Went here as part of Dine Out Vancouver. It was disgusting with watered down drinks and boring food. Tiny portions of carboard with a $$$$ pricetag. The only thing with any flavor was a paella so overseasoned with black pepper it was inedible. The empanadas were greasy and cold. The ceviche was tiny bay shrimp - the whole dish was slimy tasteless/colorless goop. The service was okay, but the waitresses wore dresses so short we were uncomfortable. The atnoshere was nice, but as a foodie, I would eat in the back alley if the meal was worth it. This place was a big fat zero!