“Inexpensive, good food, nice veg selections.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Axum

Axum
Ranked #829 of 3,637 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Vancouver, Canada
“Inexpensive, good food, nice veg selections.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

We went to this restaurant for the first time, with the Veg Meetup group. The restaurant had arranged a buffet for us -- essentially all of the $8 veg menu items. They were generous with the food -- at other meetups, the restaurant let the dishes run out -- there was plentiful injera and lots of all of the other food, so people could fill their plates and get seconds if wanted.

Our meal consisted of spinach, cabbage and carrot, green beans, mild split peas, mushrooms, and spicy split red lentils. I particularly liked the spinach and spicy red lentils. I think the spinach was a favourite all around. Others, who were not used to spices, liked the mild yellow split peas. These were also nice, but somewhat generic.

As mentioned, all of the above are $8 on the regular menu. You can also order a "veg selection" choosing any 4 of them for $10. They have a couple of $10 dishes including marinated portobello mushroom.

For our group, there was a guy doing live music. Not sure if this is always the case. There was someone just helping out for the evening, doing his very best. They were attentive to filling water glasses.

There is a small parking lot (shared with an auto shop during the day) and free parking on the street; also on bus routes. Very easy to find. Bathroom was clean. Decor is fairly standard, not inspiring but pleasant enough. They seemed to have a full bar but we just drank Diet Coke with lime.

Can't comment on the non-veg items. However, we were so impressed with the spinach and red lentils, we will return just to eat these again. Looking forward to going by ourselves/with friends, rather than in a huge group.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CrystalVancouver

Roatan, Honduras
“Don't let the location scare you - Axum is amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

I am not Ethiopian but I think I have been to every Ethiopian restaurant in Vancouver, and Axum is one of my favourites. I see a lot of people complaining about slow service at these restaurants but this is just the way the food and culture is - slow down and enjoy (just don't go if you're in a hurry). I love the owner here, she is the absolute sweetest lady and always helps people order if they're not familiar with the food. I have some allergies and she works around them beautifully. The vegetarian platter for $10 is a struggle to finish with so much food on it - I get this every time and I love it. Everything is spiced perfectly and the injera has a great tang to it. I would encourage everyone to check out this restaurant - while the 'hood is a little sketchy you will find Axum warm and inviting with delicious food.

• Visited January 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“Best Ethiopian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

Who would have thought such a great restaurant would be hidden in this location? I had heard from a few friends that Axum was the best Ethiopian joint in town and I was not disappointed. Love the injera and the spicing! The atmosphere is the only thing stopping me from giving it 5 stars.

• Visited December 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bloomington, IL
“Tasty food; friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

Axum is a small restaurant on East Hastings, about 2 miles from downtown. It is located on several bus routes, making it easy to get to. The food is well prepared, and the portions are large. The chef isn't afraid to use spice! The service was attentive and friendly. The only drawback is that their menu is somewhat limited. Still, the food is very good, and you'll be happy here.

• Visited August 2011