“Newly Opened”

Ranked #4 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Orange County, CA
“Newly Opened”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

This hotel is in a great location. It opened summer of 2011 - so everything is new. Nice workout facility with top notch equipment - super indoor lap pool. The only problem is I am a frequent Four Seasons traveler and I am accustomed to having an executive suite that could accommodate 3-4 people, as the sofa is also a bed. We ended up with two connecting rooms - but everyone was very comfortable. Beds were super comfortable..my bathroom had a heated floor - really luxurious.

Room Tip: They will provide connecting rooms at your request. Not always the case in all hotel chains.
1 Thank CAKarenOrangeCounty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We booked a room at the Shangri-la Vancouver first since it was one of the newest hotels in town. A couple weeks before our departure, we noticed the Rosewood Hotel Georgia opened. At first we reluctantly reserved our room there since it was so new. As most new hotels, the service could be a hit or miss and the amenities might not be readily available. However, we could resist the decor of the room, the central location, and beautiful indoor pool so we decided to give it a try.

The services were simply wonderful. It was attentive yet not too intrusive. The staff were welcoming and friendly but not stuffy or stuck up as some of those from older luxury hotels. Everyone was helpful and polite from the valet parking attendant to the room service staff. The room was exactly as it is shown in the hotel's website photos. The pool was beautiful and spotless. We had room service and the food was very good. It was a bit on pricey side as it is a Rosewood hotel, but it is worth it if you are too lazy or tired to get dressed and go out. We also tried Hawksworth restaurant in the hotel. We were pleasantly surprised at how great the food was and the service was top notch.

As for the negatives, there aren't a lot to discuss here. Just to be picky, they didn't have drink service at the pool area yet. We commented that on our survey and the general manager told us they are still waiting for alcohol license so that service should be available soon. The TV didn't work on the first night we were there. We didn't really care since we were not going to watch TV in Vancouver anyway, but it was fixed the next day as soon as we mentioned to the staff. This last issue is not the hotel but rather the restaurant. They didn't really have a proper dress code so you will see all kinds of people there. From couples in their suits and gown celebrating their special events to those "lesser class" who came in with shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops and expected immediate attention from the wait staff. If you ignore those around you, you would have an enjoyable meals as we did.

Overall, we would definitely return and stay at the hotel when we are in town.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SFTraveler33
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Have stayed in fine 5 star hotels around the world but The Rosewood Georgia Hotel tops all in elegance,excellent decor and class!

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Conciergesbc
florida
Reviewed August 20, 2011

This is the best hotel I have ever stayed at great for everyone luxurious comfortable beds would stay again!! The pool was beautiful!!

2 Thank travel v
minneapolis
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Having stayed at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia 2.5 weeks after a grand opening from a massive gutting and renovation of this landmark Vancouver property, and a rebranding to the Rosewood name, I found this property to be pure classic luxury with the highest standards to offer their guests.

The entire staff are outstanding, most welcoming, hospitable, and takes great interest in your stay at their property. The entire staff are very proud to be at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia and their enthusiasm definitely shines through.

The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful while very relaxing. I did not get that stuffy feeling you can get staying at a top luxury hotel. The hotel exudes a welcoming, sit down and relax feeling. The furnishings in the lobby are gorgeous and fits the decor perfectly.

The room I had was on the 6th floor overlooking Howe Street. The room windows do open wide - how refreshing it was to find this. I could hear no noise at all, street level or outside the room. The room itself is luxury. The furnishings, color coordination, bed and bedding (the best ever) (sorry Frette) and lighting are perfection. I might also add very, very, comfortable, beautiful, and of the best craftsmanship. Touch lighting is utilized throughout the room. A computer keyboard in the desk drawer is available for use anytime and set up through the television system - and free of charge. A very nice touch and was used. I also liked the Seiko alarm clock that was stylish yet very simple to set an alarm. We know how hotels have gotten with trying to set an alarm on a clock.

The bathroom - possibly the best I have encountered, Huge is not the word. You could live in the bathroom it is so big and beautiful. Everything is well thought out even down to the heated floor. You could have a party in the rainforest shower it is that big or possibly a smaller gathering in the soaking tub. All the amenities are there that one would expect at a luxury hotel and of the very highest quality.

The fitness center/spa/pool are amazing. The fitness center has all the newest and latest equipment available in a wonderful and airy room to work out in. Again, all the nice touches one would look for at a hotel of the caliber are available. The pool area in my opinion is the second best feature of this hotel. Stunning, breathtaking, unbelievable are just a few words to describe this indoor pool area. Chairs, chaise lounges, couches, towels - again no expense spared in having the absolute best for this hotel. I actually felt like I was in some kind of Roman bath. You must stay if for anything the pool area.

I did have breakfast at Hawksworth Restaurant. Decor, service, and food were excellent and price point was what is expected of a dining establishment of this high caliber. Absolutely no complaints for breakfast at Hawksworth.

I utilized the business center and was very surprised to see two brand new Mac computers, the top of the line Mac computers for complimentary use. Being Mac illiterate, the hotel staff was most helpful in getting me started.

The 1927 lobby bar was very nice, the drink was excellent, service outstanding, and pleasant, and overall a very relaxing time spent. Definitely have a drink or two there.

The staff of the Rosewood Hotel Georgia is the #1 best feature of this property. Of the staff, the concierge staff I had multiple dealings with, Heather and Rob are the shining stars of the Hotel Georgia. Both are Members, Les Clefs d'Or Canada as well as the other team member of the concierge staff and one will be attaining membership into this prestigious organization in November, making the Rosewood Hotel Georgia the only hotel in Canada to have four Members Les Clefs d'Or Canada. This staff, again, particularly Heather and Rob know the city of Vancouver nside and out, all recommendations were right on, and some unusual requests were handled professionally, timely, and always with the result I the guest was looking for. My many interactions with this team certainly made me feel like I was their only guest. Heather and Rob are very special people and take pride in their work and pride in their hotel. I cannot highly recommend enough using their knowledge and services offered. As I said at the beginning of this review, all staff members are enthusiastic, proud of their job, and proud to be of any service to their guests to make the stay a very memorable on.

I was fortunate to be able to utilize the Bentley car and driver, Jim, to the Pacific Central Station. What can I say, I will never forget the ride, the car, nor Jim. Jim is a pleasure to talk to, always smiling, cheerful, and cares so much about the guest. He is such an asset to this organization and someone I shall not forget. Professional and caring at all times -- what more can you ask for in an employee or a person. I actually had wished he could have hopped on the train with me so we could continue our discussions on various topics.

I apologize for this lengthy report, however, I really wanted to give future guests a clear picture of this property. Remember please, the Rosewood Hotel Georgia had only been open 2.5 weeks, so there were some issues and definite oversights I saw during my stay. I will say every staff member took their time to listen to my suggestions, ideas, and thoughts and I believe took them to heart. I did not hesitate to let them know too, in a nice way. To give you a good idea, the following was what I found.

I was skipped one night for turn-down service. Was offered a very sincere apology from the Front Desk Manager regarding this oversight that should have never happened.
My room was rather small. Not the huge rooms I have encountered at other luxury hotels. Very little space for clothing. This in my opinion was the weakest and most disappointing part of the hotel. Actually had to have housekeeping come and get the extra pillows and blanket just to give myself more space in the closet. The business center with its new computers,etc., had absolutely no supplies to utilize that is readily available unless it was all hiding. The spa/fitness center/pool area - as absolutely beautiful as it is, offered none of the touches you will find at a luxury property's spa/fitness center/pool, i.e., lockers, (there were only 2), places to sit and change, and all the toiletries that are offered that take it a step higher. No footwear to use while in this area nor were there robes to put on. Also, there was no place to put the wet swimsuit but this issue has been addressed and there will be a suit dryer installed as soon as the equipment gets in. I was very disappointed and surprised to see how lacking this area was in comparison to a Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Shangri-La, Pan-Pacific, and Fairmont properties fitness center/pool area. However, Lenny, Spa Receptionist was outstanding, proactive in tackling my dilemma, and solved my problem. She is definitely the kind of member you want on your team to take you to the top.

Again, this was an outstanding stay, all the comforts one could want or ask for. The staff unsurpassed on their duties. The strongest asset of this hotel. However. to reach that pinnacle of being "the best Vancouver hotel" it is the small attention to details that separate properties as they are all in the general price range. This is where the Rosewood Hotel Georgia still needs improvement. It will be the little things that take it to the top and a 5-star rating. I will be back and cannot wait to see and notice the changes and the evolving nuances that take place to achieve this hospitality ranking as #1 place to stay in Vancouver. It can happen.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank myluvoftravel
vancouver
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We recently stayed at the Hotel Georgia, a family of four and a dachshund.

We've stayed at several hotels in Vancouver, but none of them is this special. The location is perfect. The restaurant, Hawkesworth, was extraordinary. Everyone who works there is kind and friendly and helpful. The bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept on. I've been searching online to find something comparable. The pool is gorgeous and so much fun with 8 geometric windows in the floor that continually change colour.

If you go, be kind to them. They deserve it.

1 Thank vancouver23
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Living here in Vancouver, we thought we'd take one for the team, and spend a couple of nights at this newly renovated landmark hotel so we could report our findings on this forum, to assist visitors in their decision in selecting accommodation. I know, a tough job, but someone's gotta do it!

The restoration is superb, marrying the historic with the modern. A classy lobby greets you, complete with rich mahogany, brass and a dazzling chandelier. Touches of the past are to be found with the original staircase, and pieces like the old wall mounted mailbox, period clock above the entrance, and even retro elevator dials!

We had a room on the 8th floor overlooking the art gallery, the best choice if you can swing it. The room was more like a small apartment, well appointed, and a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was huge, with two vanities, soaker tub, and separate walk in shower. A quality turn down service occurred each evening.

A superb lap pool and modern fitness centre are on the 4th floor, a popular restaurant and the lobby lounge are located on the ground floor. We ate breakfast in the restaurant and had cocktails in the lounge, and both were excellent. Also a Bentley is made available to guests for complimentary use around the city centre.

Look for the subtle nods to the past, doormen wearing fedora's, lounge waitresses wearing 1920's outfits and even "Sweet Georgia Brown" being played at 11-08 twice a day in recognition of the time it reopened!

But it's the service that commands the greatest recognition. From the check in desk, to the concierges, to the bellmen and doormen, bar staff and Jim the driver, they executed their duties with the highest degree of professionalism. Extremely courteous, yet friendly. Well done!

The only disappointment was the Prohibition Bar was still under construction, and it sounds like it will be a cool place once it's up and running, so there's a good reason to return!

Overall, a stylish and thoughtful renovation of a classic 1927 hotel that scores a bulls eye. Expensive, but highly recommended.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple