“Foodie Heaven”

Ranked #804 of 3,994 Restaurants in Vancouver
Neighborhood: South Granville
Neighborhood: South Granville
Reviewed April 16, 2013

For unusual, gourmet or fabulous food for your own kitchen or to impress your friends. I always spend way too much money but come home with excellent gourmet sauces, oils, foods to experience.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Meinhardts is a South Granville staple, and a lot of Vancouverites love it. I go a couple of times a year just for novelty, as there are markets I prefer in my own neighbourhood. When I stopped in the other day, I was reminded why I don't bother making the trip more frequently. It's going for a European vibe, and has a lot of interesting products, but they seem so overpriced and the space is so crowded and sometimes smells a bit...well...pungent. If I were going to choose a similar kind of pricey market, I'd hit Urban Fare downtown or on 4th, or Whole Foods on Cambie, or the Granville Island market.

1  Thank girl_from_vancity
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The Meinhardts in Kits closed a while back leaving the Granville street store by itself. MH has excellent prepared food (Lunches, etc) but their groceries and flowers are way over priced. Urban fare does groceries and service better, tho' their food is not quite MH standard.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I learned recently that Urban Fare is now managing Meinhards. I am not sure of the details but it appears that the Pattison Group's Urban Fare business now operates Meinhards. We have noticed that the prices of some items have become less expensive and that there is more brand variety-and more crowding of shelved items. Other than that things so far are the same sort of although the atmosphere in the store is starting to get more of a big chain feel to it.

On the one hand the delight of walking into a store that feels more relaxed and interesting will be missed, on the other hand this neighbourhood lacks reasonable food shopping access so from a price point perspective there are some plusses. There hasn't been anything mentioned in the store to indicate the change of ownership but if you shopped here in the past you will notice the difference.

1  Thank Hereandtherelife
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I work close to this store and I visit it regularly. They have a great selection of items to satisfy the pickiest of foodies. Their deli section is excellent. The service is very good and their flower arrangements at the entrance is hard to ignore.