“Good lunch place”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Noodlebox

Noodlebox
Ranked #1,891 of 3,704 Restaurants in Vancouver
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Description: Southeast Asian street food, made fresh for westcoast tastes. Our bold dishes start with delicious and nutritious ingredients because we believe real food is at the heart of great food.
Wellington, New Zealand
“Good lunch place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I used to work around the area so I would come here every week for some good noodles. There's not a place to seat a large group, which I would come with a group of 6 every other week and always have trouble finding seating. They are generally fast in service. Do not order your food "hot" unless you can really take it. I love spicy food but I usually just order Medium. Good price and good atmosphere. I order the spicy peanut noodle box every time, it's my favorite.

• Visited December 2012

Vancouver, Canada
“Awful on so many levels”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

What can I say? I'm a sucker for good packaging, and totally got lured in by seeing folk wander about Kitsilano with their funky little Noodle Box noodle boxes! Not to mention the good reviews on here. Ah well, you live and learn...

There were enough positives to save it from "terrible", at least. The space is very clean and pleasant, and drinking water freely available from a little self-serve dispenser by the till. There were a nice range of options on the menu, with the additional features of being able to choose your own protein (chicken, beef, tofu, etc) and how hot - or otherwise - you wanted your dish to be.

So far, so good.

We ordered spring rolls to share, then I ordered the noodles in peanut sauce with chicken and my husband the Thai green curry.

He also ordered a beer, mispronouncing the unfamiliar name, to which the waitress unfortunately compounded the problem, laughing about how her Australian friend can't pronounce "Adidas" correctly (apparently exactly the same way we would in the UK!)

Hey, new country. Steep learning curve. No big deal.

I do kind of have a British thing about putting customers at their ease, though. We're both perfectly handy with a pair of chopsticks, but if we hadn't been the last thing you'd need is the weirdly passive-aggressive note on the back of the menu stating they did "have forks, but then you'd be that person in a noodle bar using a fork"!

We found a seat and waited for our starter, resorting to iPhone checking as the thumpingly loud music rather precluded any form of conversation.

Two smallish spring rolls arrived, the batter sodden with oil, the filling of indeterminate substance, the dipping sauce... sort of a spiced vinegar, but not the flavoursome kind you'd normally expect.

Next came two enormous bowls of noodles - far larger than either of us expected or needed - arrived, and very attractively presented.

Sadly, the taste didn't live up to the appearance! No mention of it on their website, but the main flavouring seemed to be liberal quantities of MSG, followed closely by an overpowering hit of salt.

The green curry added "hot" to that mix, with no actual sense of flavour you'd normally expect from one. The peanut noodles were like some decidedly unfortunate marriage of pad Thai with non-authentic spaghetti carbonara! Just this weird, salty, vaguely peanuty gloop. Really quite unpleasant.

Despite having skipped breakfast and built up a healthy appetite walking for several hours, both of us ended up leaving about two thirds of our meal. For hours afterwards we had the unpleasant aftertaste of MSG in our mouths, were desperately thirsty from all the salt, and felt genuinely quite unwell.

Seeing another Brit excuse themselves thinking perhaps it was them, I have to say anything from standard chains like Wagamama to the superb Rumwong restaurant in my former location of Guildford knocks spots off this place even on their worst days. Not a UK thing. Just a very bad eatery.

Definitely not somewhere I'd recommend, especially not in a city famed for its excellent Asian food!

• Visited June 2013
“The best place ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

My son said"I want to work here" he is 11yrs old. It's not expensive , and such great value for the money. I really loved the option of everything is vegetarian with the option to add meat. I would recommend this to everyone.

• Visited May 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Always really tasty noodles”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

First discovered The Noodle Box in Victoria and very happy they opened in Vancouver. Always a tasty meal. I find it hard not to order the spicy peanut noodle bowl. It is so good. But my partner has tried the curries, many of the other noodle dishes, and the specials are always good too. Want to try the Pho, saw someone with it a few weeks ago and it looked delicious! Huge portions, we usually end up getting a second meal from the leftovers. So even if a bit pricey for a casual lunch, the quality, taste and portion make it worth it!

• Visited April 2013
“Not what I imagined...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

It is perhaps a bit unfair my 2 star review, so keep in mind that the food simply was not to my taste. Being British, I'm used to a different flavour when it comes to Asian cuisine. I think it's likely that Vancouver's Asian food is much more authentic than Scotland's! So really, what do I know?

However, when I order noodles, I want them to be comforting. I don't buy them to feel light and healthy.... Usually I find myself resorting to takeout when I've had a bad day and I'm feeling miserable.... Anyway, such was the case on last Friday afternoon. I met my BF after work in the pouring rain. We walked six blocks to Noodle Box, I was excited to try it for the first time - the extra walk would do me good right? The boxes come in one size and it's roughly $12 a box, not cheap but acceptable for fresh food.

I plonked down on the sofa, hungry and damp but happy in the thought that my tasty meal awaited me. I ordered the Spicy Peanut box after reading on here that it was a favourite of many. I had one mouthful of the box and I knew it wasn't for me. It was bland to my tastebuds and not even that spicy (I'd asked for medium spice and then worried it would be too hot). I had to add lots of my own soy sauce to perk it up a bit. I really wanted to enjoy it, I love the little boxes they come in! And the staff seemed helpful and attentive.

Sorry to say, I wouldn't go back. That's just me though I'd rather have unhealthy flavoursome takeout than bland semi-healthy takeout.

My quest continues!