Douglas Guest House
  • Room Service
Opus Hotel(Vancouver)
  • Room Service
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbroadway city hallcooked breakfastbreakfast roomquiet streetfirst floorrestaurants and shopswould stay here againshort walkcanada lineeasy accessgreat place to stayvisiting vancouverskytrainkettlesolariumcerealthermostat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 8, 2010

This was the second time I have stayed at the Douglas house and am looking forward the next. The location is excellent with or without a car. The service, hospitality, and value are excellent. I would highly recommend this B&B to friends and family. Thanks.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank especkne
Reviewed February 3, 2010

hi...well I am on my second night this week of my stay at Douglas House Bed and Breakfast in Vancouver.

I have been staying at this home for over two and half years...and look forward to my visit each week. Hardeep who is my host in the morning is a lovey person, looks after me on all my visits and goes far beyond what one expects at a hotel or bed and breakfast.

I gave up my condo a few years ago, and after staying at a number of the fine hotels in Vancouver, I got tired of the isolation, not meeting anyone,and in fact in most cases, I could not even open a window. Since coming to Douglas House, I have made friends from all over the world and have invited other guests I have met to my home on Vancouver Island a number of times. This is the magic of the experience here and Hardeep simply makes my mornings start the right way.

I come over everyweek for 1 - 3 days and will continue to do so as long as my work requires. The rooms have recenly been upgraded, painted, and are open for new visitors.

This is my first report on tripadvisor, but have used it many times on my searches for accommodation in other parts of the world and have and will contnue to recommended this location to others. And don't forget the great location to downtown Vancouver and I know many other guests stay because of the proximity to Vancouver medical and hospital facilities. Cheers....bill

Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 5, 2010

While the location is good and the price reasonable, we were assured, twice, that this property was handicapped accessible. It was anything but: 10 to 12 steps just to make it to the breakfast area. The Garden Suite was suitable for sleep purposes, but don't believe because it sleeps six that six will be comfortable in the unit. Mistakes happen, however, so we hoped the offsite owner would make some reparations. He offered $10 off per day, even though we then had four nights to contend with the situation. That's unacceptable. Tyhe Garden Suite is also below ground level, so is quite dark.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2009

I booked my parents into the Penthouse Suite for a total of 2 weeks as they were visiting me in Vancouver. On arrival we were told that the room had been booked for somebody else. I spoke to the owner on the phone and explained that I had a confirmation e-mail and had spoken to her less than a month previously. Eventually the room was assigned but as other commenters have noted the booking process seems to be haphazard. As for the stay itself here's the good and the bad

The Good

Great location-easy to walk to the sea wall and get transport into town.
The room itself was clean and the staff friendly.
The breakfast was good.

The Bad

The balcony of the suite was very dirty and it was impossible to sit out on it.
Although the bedroom was clean it was showing distinct signs of shabbiness.
The garden was full of disused kitchen appliances.
The "little things" weren't taken care of (no plug in the sink, faulty tv remote etc).
The owners don't seem to live on site, so the usual B & B feel is lost.

Overall this B & B wasn't worth the money that they were charging.

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank bdr2835
Reviewed June 7, 2009

Its situation is excellent as it is just next to Cambie Street. There you could take a bus to the downtown with ease. As a Hong Kong guy, I found it convenient to search for Restaurants of Asian Cuisines, particularly of hongkong style along Cambie and Broadway streets. Last but not least, the breakfast prepared by the host is fantastic!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business