Douglas Guest House
  • Room Service
Opus Hotel(Vancouver)
  • Room Service
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbroadway city hallcooked breakfastbreakfast roomquiet streetfirst floorrestaurants and shopswould stay here againshort walkcanada lineeasy accessgreat place to stayvisiting vancouverskytrainkettlesolariumcerealthermostat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Stayed one night before a medical appointment at the nearby Cancer Clinic in Room 4 (just outside the breakfast room). The room was clean, well appointed and relaxing but I would advise that this may not be the best room if you'd like to sleep in as guests start to arrive and chat at the breakfast room in the morning. Was not a problem for us however.

We had a great night's sleep on a comfortable bed. We arrived after staff had left for the day, but a welcome note and key were left at the door in an envelope. Had no problem with parking (there seems to be quite a generous number of spots available). The staff/owners were kind enough to let us leave our vehicle where it was while we walked to our appointment the next morning, even though we had checked out. Very thoughtful!

The lovely woman who looks after breakfast was warm and friendly, and very accommodating with everyone who joined our table for breakfast. Lovely scrambled eggs, pancakes, etc. and lots of fruit, toast and cereal. Nobody left hungry! She really went out of her way to make everyone feel welcome and comfortable.

We'd certainly stay here again based on our first experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here 4 different times for a family emergency, it is very close to VGH-within walking distance if you aren't hindered by mobility issues. Easy taxi ride otherwise. Our host Leslie, i can't say enough about her compassion & helpfullness...thank you! The house itself reminded me of a bed & breakfast we stayed at in downtown Barkerville, BC-it has a great homey, victorian feel. The rooms are great, beds comfortable. I think we stayed in at least 4 of the rooms over the course of our adventure! The ground floor rooms worked out best for my mom, who has mobility issues. Breakfast was always wonderful. Would stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We have stayed at Douglas House 4 times in the past 6 months and have had good experiences. The check in / check out is quick and the rooms are clean and always ready for us. This place has a charm you would not find in any hotel. The breakfasts are prepared quickly and there is a good selection (pancakes, eggs, toast, fruit, etc). We find the location perfect for us and would not consider any other place for our visits to Vancouver. Well done, thanks for a great experience and see you again soon.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We were very disappointed with our stay and felt this Guest House would be more accurately described as a hostel than a B&B. The Basement Suite designed for 4 or 6 people was small and inadequately equipped, for example only 1 glass and 4 plastic hangers. It was in need of redecoration and the furnishings were old and threadbare. On the positive side the location is very convenient for public transport to downtown and the breakfast food was good. However, having to queue and wait for other people to finish was not acceptable.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Trish578
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I spent 2 weeks at Douglas House while my husband was at VGH. I had a bedroom with private bath and a shared fridge, microwave, and kettle. There was limited plates and silverware but adequate for our use. Dish towels and sponge were available. The room itself was clean - even the corners sparkled and the bathroom appeared to have been replaced recently. Nice and clean. Bed comfortable, TV worked well, radio with clock at bed side. Plenty of closet and drawer space. Bath towels, hand towel and face cloths snow white and fluffy. Needs new pillows and the garbage wasn't picked up every day. Parking good and I was driving a Dodge SUV - much more of a vehicle than the small sports car I usually drive but I did manage to park it! Staff friendly, knowledgeable and co operative. I was not sure when I would be leaving and they were extremely accommodating. I thank then for their understanding during this stressful time. Breakfast - better that you get at my place! Eggs done anyway - scrambled with diced veggies and cheese were my choice along with hotcakes just the rite size. A choice of 3 fruits, orange juice, white & brown bread, cereal (2 choices) toaster that works! and a welcome smile. Reasonable rates and convenient to shopping, dining, and VGH! Breakfast served outside or inside and lots of friendly people to share stories with. Thank you for making my stay welcoming and pleasant My daughter stayed at Cambie House next door the sister house to Douglas. Would I stay there again - you betcha! Thank you Hardeep!

Room Tip: Don't stay on the ground floor facing the parking space. I guess that it would be quite noisy with the vehicles coming & going.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family