“Moroccan themed paradise - amazing!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Miraj Hammam Spa

Miraj Hammam Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: In centuries past, the Hammam was known as the silent doctor. A place of cleansing and healing for both body and soul. An exotic oasis where you can indulge yourself in traditional Middle Eastern treatments while your imagination takes you on a mystical journey into the past. Old World traditions, introduced into the new world - this is the MIRAJ HAMMAM SPA experience.
Vancouver
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Moroccan themed paradise - amazing!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

I had the pleasure of attending the Miraj Hamman Spa, I honestly almost forgot what country I was in. It's hard to believe this spa is located on busy Granville street when it is so tranquil inside. I was a little nervous about getting scrubbed down 'au naturel', but Darlene put me completely at ease. It was like I had rented the entire spa for a very reasonable price when you take into account it honestly feels as though you are their only client that day.

The spa was clean and gorgeous inside. I loved sitting in the steam room (the Hammam) and they give you and entire jug of ice cold water to sip while the delicious smells of eucalyptus, lemon and a hint of orange fill the air. The scrub (the Gommage) was a fantastic experience as well. This was followed by a wonderful 45 minute massage from Veronica then topped off with a decadent sweet and a delicious tea in a very peaceful room with cushions and blankets. You can even fall asleep because you are all by yourself.

A very special thank you for such a wonderful experience, I highly recommend Miraj Spa and I will be back!!

Visited January 2014
9 Thank NoonisGirl

vancouver
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“A magic time at the Miraj”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

I am always a bit surprised to see reviews that are not positive about the Miraj. This is one of the first hammams in Canada and is very similar to the experience you will have in a hammam in Paris, North Africa, Turkey or the Middle East. The difference I have found is the personal focus on you by the staff, the cleanliness, and the design of a seamless experience, which is different from the busy and noisy hammams I have experienced around the world.
I have been going to the Miraj hammam since it opened. You will be greeted in the reception room, asked to exchange your shoes for a pair of clean sandals, and asked to sit beside the bubbling fountain. You are then escorted into the change room and offered a sarong to change in to. The steam room scented with eucalyptus is wonderful, and the amount of steam you would prefer is catered to. The gommage is exceptional, and is done by an experienced massage therapist. You are then ushered into a massage room where you will have a massage.
I have just come back from another wonderful day at the Miraj, highlighted by the exceptional staff, and left feeling that I was treated as a special guest and individual. Yota, Mulu and Kayla will take great care of you.
Come and enjoy a middle eastern tradition that takes the chill out of the northwest winter.
This is a Middle Eastern treat that should be adopted everywhere.

Visited December 2013
6 Thank greenwayplanner
Vancouver, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“honest opinion”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Not worth going to. The spa is a bit run down, you can see this in the change room, the cupboard doors are worn and it just looks old. I did like the authentic feel of the place in that it was old, like places in the middle east. The music was also appropriate to give a middle eastern feel, although during my massage it was quite upbeat and not that relaxing.

Normally my experience at a spa is to be pampered and feel relaxed. This was not the case. When I arrived I was told to choose from an assortment of sandals, they did not ask what size I was nor did they try to figure out which size was appropriate for me. I had to get them myself. It's the little things like this that count. Spa equals pamper. Not do it yourself.

I usually like to relax before having a treatment, but this did not happen here. I waited in the main check in area until it was my time. Then I was taken into the change room, told to undress and put this sarong on. All the while the attendant is busy in the same room getting water for the hammam, etc. No privacy whatsoever. Awkward. I was taken into the steam room and sat there alone in this small room with steam so thick you couldn't see, but I did become used to it after a bit. The seating was cold and hard. Then the attendant took me out of that room into another area for the scrub down. I was told to take off my sarong, so I'm standing there naked, she puts the sarong onto the cold slab where I am told to lie face down. The scrub was rough and not very pleasant, although my skin felt very clean afterwards. If you read the other reviews they say what I experienced here. After this scrub down, I was told to put a robe on and wait in the not relaxing change room for the massage person. She came, and it seemed to me a bit rushed to get me into the massage room. The massage was average and not relaxing.

As mentioned by others, all I got at the end was a sweet biscuit with a small glass of tea, both which were good. I waited and waited for someone to come and see if I would like more tea, but no one came. Wow, so not pampered here.

And to top it off, while trying to relax in the lounge having tea, I was told that there were men there. What?! This is an all female day and there were men in the steam room, which is attached to the change room, the only change room! We were told to check with the desk first before going to the change room. I could not believe this. Very uncomfortable and not relaxing. I wanted to have a shower but was worried about the men coming into the room, so needless to say it was stressful and really unpleasant. They said this was a very rare occurrence which normally does not happen, but they let it happen without regard for the female guests that day.

Not impressed at all with this place and would not recommend. Spend your money elsewhere.

Visited August 2013
10 Thank trip1check
Yellowknife, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Pampered by Mulu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit where Mulu took such good care of me in this unique spa experience. I loved the steam room and the gommage. The environment was warm, welcoming and clean. Wished I had booked a longer massage (only did the 30 minutes) because it was wonderful. Next time!

Visited May 2013
2 Thank trwf
North Vancouver, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Miraj Hammam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Today I went to this hammam with my friend, the greeting was so good, and steam room was excellent. Hammam was so clean, I have been more than 50 places for massage, but the massage they did was so professional and so good, I did not expect to have special massage, but it was deferent.
In general I can say this place is so good, staff were so professional.
We booked massage for just 15 minutes but next time we will ask more time. We both loved here although we are from Iran and we had been such theses hammam in turkey or other countries. Here was excellent.

Visited May 2013