“Simply Delicious”

Ranked #11 of 60 Restaurants in Tofino
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Legendary Seafood & Steakhouse Locally owned, proudly destroying appetites since 1949. Casual dining, Fine dining, Oyster bar, Cocktails lounge and Tap house. Unrivalled ocean and mountain views. Great patio, centrally located.
Reviewed March 13, 2019 via mobile

OMG,what a memorable meal we enjoyed upon our return to this old survivor. The oyster and smoked salmon appetizers started off our amazing culinary journey. One of us ordered the house special of Bawden Bay halibut. Another the fish and chips and the third the seafood pappardelle. All were delicious and awesome. Justin was an excellent waiter and we can't wait to return.

Date of visit: March 2019
1  Thank Bentley333
Write a ReviewReviews (1,574)

Reviewed February 12, 2019

Best seafood in town I guess?! We had a halibut and red snapper, which was very good. Also the beer and the desert was great. The price was a little higher than somewhere else, but I would say still in the frame.

Date of visit: February 2019
2  Thank 247melliz
Reviewed January 24, 2019

We had heard good things so thought we would try it on our first night in Tofino. It was great! The mains are a little pricey but you get what you pay for, healthy sized portions seasoned to perfection! Can't afford to eat here all weekend but glad we went.

1  Thank island-guy250
Reviewed January 24, 2019

The famed Wolf in the Fog was closed for the season and so after a flurry of Trip Advisor research and menu drooling we decided to try Schooner's fully expecting it to be adequate but no Wolf in the Fog. Wow were we ever wrong. Excellent ocean view seating, balanced lighting and friendly staff got things off to a great start.

We decided to share the Goat Cheese Salad to start even though I've never fancied myself a rabbit but we devoured it and I quickly realized it was the best salad I had ever had and I may just be part Bunny. To be honest, calling it a salad would be an insult as it was so far superior to any salad we've ever had. In fact, it was a culinary experience. We had wanted to try the Calamari, which we heard was excellent, but knowing what we'd be ordering for our main course, we decided we had to leave room. Once again, we made the right choice.

My wife ordered the Halibut, Schooner's special, and I skipped past the steak and went right for the Wild Mushroom Ravioli. Absolutely incredible!! Incredible!!!! And my wife's Halibut? Totally worth the Hype. When it came to dessert we passed even though their Creme Brule is to die for. We've done the bloated after supper coma I -hate -my -life too many times that we've learned when we've reached our limit. All in all it was $125 with a generous tip for our EXCELLENT waiter. Oh yeah, we also ordered drinks! We didn't do wine this time but my wife ordered on of their speciality cocktails (once again, excellent) and I ordered a nice local brew (delish) The entire experience was exactly what we were hoping for but didn't think would happen. Wolf in the Fog.. you got some competition but we still love you too. Still, maybe don't close in Jan? haha.

1  Thank John C
Reviewed January 24, 2019 via mobile

We had been to Schooner many times over 30 years, but not recently. In the past it was always reliable. With most restaurants closed on Tuesday in the winter in Tofino, we thought we would give it a try.

We were delighted with our decision. From the service (thanks Michael) to the wine selection and food choices, it became a 5-star night. We paired the Alderlea Pinot Noir with a starter Caesar, stuffed halibut and blackened ling cod. We are west coasters and buy our fish fresh from the French Creek Fish Co-op, so are spoiled. The ling cod was the best I have ever had.

Desert was banana foster over a waffle in a rich yummy syrupy sauce with homemade ice cream. Wow!

Schooner may be celebrating 70 years but it is still an inventive high quality kitchen with a great chef. In our opinion, it is exceptional quality for fair value (all in $150 for two).

1  Thank dwits