“Excellent seafood”

Tough City Sushi
Ranked #22 of 52 Restaurants in Tofino
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Edmonton
“Excellent seafood”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

A fun and busy place. Excellent maki. Some of the best tataki I've ever had. Breath-taking views of the inlet from a few tables. Interesting decor in what looks to have started out as an old house on the waterfront. Slow service. I would definitely go back for maki that good.

• Visited August 2012

Alberta
“Great location...very good sushi but pricey and slow service.”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Ate here with a small group on the patio on a sunny evening. The views were fantastic over the water. The atmosphere is a bit more laid back. The waitress was very friendly and was quick bringing out our drinks. I am not typically a fan of sushi but what we ordered was delicious and we ended up ordered more. It did take a very long time for the sushi to come out to the table...but we didn't mind taking our time and sitting out on the water. Each order of sushi was quite small and was quite expensive...but to be expected in Tofino i would imagine. I loved the sushi and would eat here again if back in Tofino

• Visited August 2012
Vancouver
“decent, but overpriced”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Sushi was average, priced how you would expect one of the few sushi places in such a major tourist destination. View on the patio was nice and relaxing. Service was friendly.

Visited August 2012
Toronto, Ontario
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Slooooow service and overpriced sushi”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My boyfriend and I went there for dinner one night (on a Wednesday night) and we wished we hadn't! We ordered 2 orders of maki and an assorted sushi platter (all to share). It took us about 90 minutes to get any food (except some edamame we ordered after the 1 hour mark cause we were starving).
We think our waitress messed up our order cause she tried to give us assorted tempura (at about the 1 hour mark, which made us order the edamame) and we said we didn't order it.... Instead of apologizing for the mix up and then trying to expedite the real order (of assorted sushi), she didn't do anything and just acted like she got the table wrong. Maybe she did - but I'm not sure that makes the situation any better...

We asked her a few times about when our food was coming and she kept on saying that a big table that ordered just before us and that it was very busy inside (we were on the patio). My boyfriend and I both went to the washroom at various times during the dinner and it wasn't that busy inside at all!
We finally did get our two orders of maki but only after having waited 90 minutes (during which of course we ordered drinks). The maki was good - but frankly, after 90 minutes of waiting, I think any food would have tasted good. After we ate the maki and it was apparent that the assorted sushi platter was not coming, we told our waitress to forget about the rest of the order and just to get the bill. We were so tired or waiting... She said it was the "next order" but we heard that too many times to have any faith!

Funny thing is that others on the patio did the same thing. We saw at least two tables on the patio that left without getting their courses.

I know Tofino (and a lot of the west coast) prides itself on being a bit more laid back than Toronto (where I'm from), but there is a difference between laid back and just plain SLOOOOOOW. I would not go back to Tough Sushi. The prices are expensive (I think we spent more on drinks in the end than food), and the service was terrible.

Visited July 2012
West kelowna
“Great view over the Harbour.. Expensive sushi”
Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

Very nice view... Sat outside overlooking the harbour. Spoilt by good sushi prices in Vancouver
so somewhat taken back by the prices here( but alo in most of Tofino).Both of us had salads , one with shrimp, the other with tuna. Okay.
Good service
Meet Crazy Ron , the owner... A " Colourful " character .