“Great view but not amazing attitude”

The Pointe Restaurant at the Wickaninnish Inn
Ranked #10 of 60 Restaurants in Tofino
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Surveying the panoramic vistas from the westernmost point of Tofino’s idyllic Chesterman Beach, The Pointe Restaurant’s Refined West Coast cuisine and attentive service come gift-wrapped with 240 degree views of the Pacific Ocean, surrounding islands and wildlife. Much of the fresh seafood is fished from the very waters overlooked by The Pointe, and a longstanding focus on locally sourced, high quality ingredients is evident. Dinner is offered on a seasonal à la carte menu, but for the best of the best, try Executive Chef Warren Barr's weekly tasting menu; Daily brunch is a true treat. Out of the ordinary desserts reflect an innovative Pastry program where most everything - from bread to butter to scrumptious chocolate croissants are housemade. An extensive wine list, recognized yearly by Wine Spectator magazine, showcases BC’s finest selections with a broad range of international bottlings. Over 100 Scotch Whiskies and a creative cocktail menu can be savoured in the comfortable On the Rocks Lounge. A true taste of Rustic Elegance On Nature’s Edge - and the West Coast’s best views - are on the menu at The Pointe Restaurant and On the Rocks Lounge.
Reviewed June 9, 2019 via mobile

Having visited schooner the night before this restaurant had a lot to live up to.
The view was great out over the beach and sea (note as a non hotel guest you cant sit directly at the window but you can still see the view). Its beautifully decorated too. The main course was tasty and nicely cooked. However it is certainly more formal than schooner and that came across on the attitude of the staff. Our waiter was very friendly however I was disappointed that I was not permitted to have the desert on the tasting menu since we had ordered a la carte, even if I paid full price for it(most of the others were chocolate which I cant have). I did ask twice but just got a standard it's not permitted response. I have to say in a restaurant of this calibre I find that poor service and the manager could easily have agreed to this. As a result they lost out on either of us getting dessert or dessert wines and we left rather disappointed. All in all good food but not exceptional but rather stuffy attitude for what should have been top notch service. Honestly I would have gone back to schooner for a more enjoyable atmosphere.

Date of visit: May 2019
guestrelationswick, Guest Relations Coordinator at The Pointe Restaurant at the Wickaninnish Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear 94vickyd,

Thank you for providing us with feedback of your dining experience at The Pointe Restaurant in May.

We are delighted you enjoyed the décor and view from the Restaurant, however, we apologize that we were unable to provide you with the dessert being offered on our Tasting Menu. Our culinary team creates only the number of desserts required for the Tasting Menu. In addition, the portion size of the dessert is adjusted for that menu only and therefore does not meet the typical portion size of our Dessert Menu. We are pleased to advise that as a result of your Review and your comments, our culinary team will be creating additional Tasting Menu desserts meeting our Dessert Menu portion size moving forward, allowing all guests of The Pointe Restaurant to enjoy the dessert being offered on our Tasting Menu should they so choose.

Our Executive Chef, Carmen Ingham, and Annette Rawlinson, the Manager of The Pointe Restaurant, have requested that we pass along their most sincere apologies for not being able to provide you with your desired dessert and would like to invite you back to The Pointe Restaurant for dessert on them. Accordingly, if you would like to accept their offer, please provide your name and address directly to us at sandy@wickinn.com so that we may send a Gift Certificate to you by regular mail.

Sandy Stocker
Guest Relations Coordinator

Write a ReviewReviews (1,077)

Reviewed June 3, 2019

Wow. What a place. The views here are amazing. The food and service was spectacular. The drinks were amazing and a great menu!

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed May 28, 2019 via mobile

The cocktails were more pricey than other places in Tofino but the view is very nice and the waitress was very friendly!!

1  Thank BiancaBelle
Reviewed May 22, 2019

Food was perfect.
But rosé was not cold....and next day the Osoyoos La Rose was a 2015 and not 2013 as mentioned on the price list.

1  Thank Lemonner
Reviewed May 6, 2019

If you aren't a guest of the hotel, don't bother. The only thing appealing in this restaurant is the view, and if you aren't staying at the hotel, they will sit you in the back. I booked a reservation about 6 weeks in advance. I had let the lady making the reservation know that it was a special occasion, and I took an earlier seating so that I could get a Window seat. She said all the later evening sittings by the window were booked, so the only way we could be accommodated was if we went early. Fair enough I thought. We showed up to a basically empty restaurant when we arrived, which was surprising given the production that the lady made about how fully booked.The went to seat us basically in a booth, with the fire place completely blocking our view. I said their must be a mistake, because I made a reservation 6 weeks in advance to ensure a Window seat..I was told that Window seats are only for guests of the hotel. I inquired if there was no one sitting in one of the 4 open tables, if we could sit in one, and they decline. We sat for 2 hrs, and tried to make the best of it, and no one sat at the empty window tables. They would rather have tables empty, then give them to people that weren't staying at the hotel. Not only did they render my advance booking pointless, as the restaurant was basically empty, they ensured I will never eat there again, and let everyone know how they treat people that don't stay there.

Date of visit: April 2019
5  Thank Peter I
guestrelationswick, Guest Relations Coordinator at The Pointe Restaurant at the Wickaninnish Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2019

Dear Peter I.,

Thank you for positing a Review of your recent dining experience at The Pointe Restaurant earlier this month.

As you mention, window tables are reserved for our in-house guests and that it is our standard to advise guests during the reservation process that it is unlikely we would be able to seat them at the window but that they will be seated at the best available table. Reservations at The Pointe Restaurant do fill up quickly as many of our guests do book their dining reservations at the same time as their guest room reservation which can be up to a year in advance.

We appreciate your comments regarding tables sitting empty and while the Restaurant may have appeared to have a number of empty tables, often this is a result of reserved tables awaiting guests or late arrivals, last minute cancellations or as a result of guests not arriving at all and who did not cancellation their reservation. In an effort to avoid such situations, we do require a credit card to confirm all dining reservations and advise guests that there is a $25.00 charge for late changes, cancellations or no shows. We have established this cancellation standard to encourage guests wanting to cancel or change their dinner reservations to do so with a reasonable amount of advance notice so we are able to contact guests on our waitlist, seat arriving guests at that table or seat guests who arrive without a reservation. Since implementing this fee, we have seen a noticeable decline in tables sitting empty, unfortunately, it has not eliminated it completely. We would welcome any suggestions you may have that would assist us in avoiding these situations in the future.

Unfortunately, as we are unaware of the particular details of your dining experience, we are unable to comment further. Accordingly, should you have further information you would care to share with us, please feel free to provide that information to us, along with your contact information and date and time you dined, directly to us at sandy@wickinn.com.

Again, we are truly sorry we did not meet your expectations.

Sandy Stocker