“Wow at The Pointe!”

Ranked #9 of 58 Restaurants in Tofino
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Surveying the panoramic vistas from the westernmost point of Tofino’s idyllic Chesterman Beach, The Pointe Restaurant’s Refined West Coast cuisine and attentive service come gift-wrapped with 240 degree views of the Pacific Ocean, surrounding islands and wildlife. Much of the fresh seafood is fished from the very waters overlooked by The Pointe, and a longstanding focus on locally sourced, high quality ingredients is evident. Dinner is offered on a seasonal à la carte menu, but for the best of the best, try Executive Chef Warren Barr's weekly tasting menu; Daily brunch is a true treat. Out of the ordinary desserts reflect an innovative Pastry program where most everything - from bread to butter to scrumptious chocolate croissants are housemade. An extensive wine list, recognized yearly by Wine Spectator magazine, showcases BC’s finest selections with a broad range of international bottlings. Over 100 Scotch Whiskies and a creative cocktail menu can be savoured in the comfortable On the Rocks Lounge. A true taste of Rustic Elegance On Nature’s Edge - and the West Coast’s best views - are on the menu at The Pointe Restaurant and On the Rocks Lounge.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I don't normally review restaurants when I travel however really felt The Pointe restaurant needed the appropriate credit. We've eaten at all the major restaurants in Tofino and Ucluelet (Norwoods, Black Rock, Shelter, Long Beach, etc...) and were definitely pleasantly surprised by our meal and the general atmosphere. The hosts were great, seating us in the lounge while we waited for our table where I was able to get a glass of wine from the best wine list (and biggest) I've ever seen. One thing that struck me is that in a higher-end location like this me and my wife being younger were not given any snooty attitude at all which we sometimes get (the "are you sure you can afford a 30-dollar glass of wine" look). Prices were in line with the other competing restaurants in the area but the big differentiator for us was the portion sizes...wow! Our entree plates were huge and neither of us were able to finish our main course! Great time; are planning to stay at Wick Inn next time we are out and get a couple more meals in! My only complaint was it did seem like there was some pretty heavy markup on the "by the bottle" selections, but I would expect this is par for the course.

1  Thank Nick911

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Choosing our dinner from their menu was the most difficult decision of our trip! The food was delicious and the experience was amazing. Travelling to Tofino to stay at the Wickininnish Inn was an adventure. Eating at there restaurant was priceless!

1  Thank Lori R
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We usually go to Tofino in the winter for the storm watching and have been eating at 'the Wick' now for several years. It would be hard to imagine somewhere with a better view.Yes, it's expensive, but when combined with the mystical view, good value. If you're there in the winter like us, breakfast or lunch is your best bet as it gets dark around 4:00, so you'll loose the view. Our favourite server was Keltie, however it seems she has moved on. The view a the very nice food remain.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I dined at The Pointe on Oct. 7th to celebrate our anniversary. We were looking forward to it but were extremely disappointed. The decor is nice and the service was good, but the food leaves a lot to be desired. I found it rather pretentious that the waitress informed us exactly what we were eating after she placed the dish in front of us. We ordered it so we know in fact what we are eating! We really didn't need a lengthy rundown.

We found nothing appealing with respect to appetizers so opted for main course. The pairings are very odd. I guess they are trying to be innovative, but the combinations are peculiar. For example, halibut is paired with a pork hock, and the beef comes with bone marrow. I had the organic crisp fried chicken and my husband had rack of lamb. My husband said the lamb was okay, but nothing special. The chicken (dark meat) was deep fried. It looked really nothing like chicken. It seemed to have been formed into a large egg shape then sliced and deep fried. The smell and taste were heavy "gamey" and I did not care for it. The summer truffle and mushrooms tasted a bit tangy, slightly "off". They did have a great wine list and we enjoyed a great bottle of Cedar Creek, Pinot Grigio.

We decided to order dessert since we did not order an appetizer, but quickly changed our minds when we saw the dessert menu. It is by far the worst dessert menu I have ever seen. Someone should tell the Pastry Chef that he should stop trying to be innovative and leave vegetables off the dessert menu. Seriously, who wants beets with pepper and dark chocolate or squash and smoked tomato with chocolate. My husband decided to order "Apple Pie" but after the waitress told us it was made with aged cheddar ice cream he changed his mind. They do offer a plate of chocolate petit fours for two, but my husband does not like chocolate, and it was outrageously priced. We did receive 2 complementary truffles and 2 tiny pumpkin tarts, but the truffles were sort of sour so was very glad we didn't order the chocolate.

All in all it was a disappointment. This restaurant is highly over-rated and most definitely over-priced. One more point is that tables for two are quite large so the person across from you seems very far away. So much for intimate couple dining. We most definitely will not return.

11  Thank damselfly_lady
guestrelationswick, Guest Relations Coordinator at The Pointe Restaurant at the Wickaninnish Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear Damselfly_lady,
Thank you for providing us with feedback on your dining experience at The Pointe Restaurant by way of Trip Advisor.
While we are pleased you enjoyed the décor of the Restaurant and our extensive wine list, we were most disappointed to learn that the service you received, as well as your meals were not to your satisfaction. As it is our standard to replace any dish not to our guest’s satisfaction, we certainly wish we could have had the opportunity to address your concerns personally with you at the time.
It is our goal to provide each and every guest with a culinary and service experience that meets and hopefully exceeds their expectations and we are truly sorry that we did not deliver on this for you. Please be assured that we will be reviewing your comments directly with our culinary team.
Please accept our most sincere apology if you found the food descriptions provided by your server to be unnecessary and pretentious. It has been our experience that diners of the Pointe Restaurant are interested in the special ingredients that are used to create each dish and that the descriptions enhance their dining experience. They are, however, meant to be brief and non-intrusive.
As we take our guests’ feedback very seriously, we would appreciate the opportunity to understand and learn from your experience. Should you care to discuss your dining experience personally with us, please feel free to provide your contact information to us through either Trip Advisor’s private messaging system or by emailing us directly at sandy@wickinn.com and we will arrange for a member of our senior management team to contact you directly.
Again, we are truly sorry that The Pointe Restaurant did not meet your expectations and sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to discuss your concerns personally with you.
Sandy Stocker
Guest Relations Coordinator
Wickaninnish Inn & The Pointe Restaurant

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is a beautiful spot run by attentive and knowledgeable staff. The food is unique and quite tasty. The attention to detail is impeccable, right down to bringing out a special amuse-bouche with no fish for our son who is allergic.