“Prime Fish & Chips”
Review of Sea Shanty Restaurant - CLOSED

Sea Shanty Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: The Owners Lewis & Cathy George would like to welcome you to the Shanty. We are very excited to offer a wide variety of seafood options. The best view in Tofino combined with great food and service promises you an unforgettable experience. Located on 300 Main Street Downtown Tofino on the waterfront.
Reviewed June 27, 2014

This is not "fine dining" but it is does do excellent and good value Halibut and chips. Where the Shanty scores is in it's location, we had a table by the window with superb views over the harbour and inlet, that itself makes this a venue to go for. Service was OK albeit it a bit amateurish and over friendly.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

We went to the sea shanty on a dull sunday for lunch. W e wanted to order the mixed shellfish platter but they told us that was available from 4.00 pm ony. We thought about leaving but the view was very nice s we stayed. Instead my wife ordered the dungeness crab, market price it mentioned, but nobody told us that market price would be $ 70, an absurd amount of money for a crab. I haven't paid that much for a crab (except King crab) in any restaurant anywhere.
Winelist is extremely limited.
This was a once but never again Sea Shanty, even though the crab was tasty.

2  Thank ekholland27
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Everywhere in Tofino the views are spectacular. But most restaurants look out on the Pacific or have no view. Sea Shanty, in a First Nations owned building near the float plane dock, looks out on Clayoquot Sound and islands and mountains to the north and east. The view is amazing. Surprisingly for a "look at this view!" place, the food is also quite good. TwoInMaine and two travelling companions enjoyed fish and chips (simple and delicious), broiled lingcod, a very good hamburger, and a special request to the kitchen for a simple bowl of steamed local mussels that the chef whipped up for only $12. Selection of local beers on tap and wines was inexpensive, varied, and enjoyable. Coffee and desserts were OK but nothing special. There's an outdoor deck even closer to the water, and some braved the wind (using restaurant supplied blankets and eating quickly before the dishes cooled). We stayed indoors. But oh my what a view.

1  Thank twoinmaine
Reviewed June 23, 2014

In our search for a seafood lunch in Tofino, we came across the Sea Shanty restaurant. My husband wanted especially to taste the famous local Dungeness Crab, and the name of the restaurant seemed promising. We got a nice table in the shade on the sunny terrace - as I requested - with a view towards the water with mountains covered with patches of snow in the background, all very romantic. Our waitress, Laura, a very efficient young woman, brought us the menu which contained a large variety of choices - seafood, pasta, salads, etc. - The Dungeness crab was listed as "market price", a worrysome choice of words. Laura informed us, apologetically smiling, that this special crab meal costs $70. Of course, we lost the taste for Dungeness crab very fast. Our disappointment was of short duration. Both my husband and I found good choices on the menu and ended up having a wonderful and relaxed lunch. I had an interesting chowder "smoked salmon chowder", a delicious variant on the classical chowder, where pieces of smoked salmon mingled successfully with bits of celery, cabbage, onions, and probably other things as well, creating a lighter version of the well known clam chowder. This was followed by "Shanty Monte Cristo", egg dipped surdough bread, richly stuffed with Dungeness crab (no $70 mention here), shrimp and Swiss cheese, perfectly grilled and accompanied by superb french fries. My husband enjoyed a "fresh steamer pot", a full plate of mussels and clams in a delicious white wine and Pernod creme sauce, accompanied by garlic bread. He also ordered a glass of chilled BC wine. All impeccably served by Laura.

I must add a little anecdotal tidbit: The menu's last page featured an interesting history of the town of Tofino. Captain Tofino was a naval officer... but I will not bore you with the details. What we loved was that "naval" was spelled "navel", and we had a good time imagining good old captain Tofino building a career by contemplating his "navel". We mentioned this to Laura who also had a good laugh. If you go to the Sea Shanty - and we recommend you do - check if Captain Tofino is still watching his navel, or if he was finally promoted to the Navy.

2  Thank Kasuta
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Returned to have a seafood Monte Cristo as I do every time I go to Tofino. Although it was not as large as the first one years ago it was still really good. The local fresh crab and fresh shrimp was just so tasty and the fries were awesome. Noticed new owners but did not notice a drop in service or quality. Good beer selection, lots on the menu but did not look for prices as I already knew what I wanted.