“One of My Favourites”

Ranked #18 of 53 Restaurants in Tofino
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: The Owners Lewis & Cathy George would like to welcome you to the Shanty. We are very excited to offer a wide variety of seafood options. The best view in Tofino combined with great food and service promises you an unforgettable experience. Located on 300 Main Street Downtown Tofino on the waterfront.
Sooke BC
“One of My Favourites”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Returned to have a seafood Monte Cristo as I do every time I go to Tofino. Although it was not as large as the first one years ago it was still really good. The local fresh crab and fresh shrimp was just so tasty and the fries were awesome. Noticed new owners but did not notice a drop in service or quality. Good beer selection, lots on the menu but did not look for prices as I already knew what I wanted.

Victoria, BC, Canada
“overpriced tourist trap”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

and they get away with it because of their location right by the water's edge.
Not enough healthy, affordable options. The salad was $18! Most of us ended up having a hard-as-rock, overly deep-fried piece of cod on chips.

4 Thank cala3
Victoria, Canada
“Tasty but left me sick”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

My daughter and I shared the seafood platter for two because she just loves crab. The shellfish was very tasty, the salmon and halibut a bit overcooked. Like everyone mentions, the view is wonderful. I found the server to be quite friendly. Unfortunately, I had a reaction to some of the shellfish, I suspect it was the scallops. Let's just say that it was a very expensive and uncomfortable cleanse.

4 Thank Suzanne G
Tofino, Canada
“New Owners”
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Just an FYI- the Shanty went under new owners. Haven't tried their new Menu yet. Going to miss Margot's cooking from last year

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank MellyVT
Himwitsa, Guest Relations Manager at Sea Shanty Restaurant, responded to this review, November 15, 2015
Hi Melly,

The original owner's, Cathy and Lewis George have taken back over the restaurant and we can tell you that if you haven't tried the new menu, with the exception of a few classics, then we invite you to come on in. Our Chef's have put together some beautiful dishes, utilizing the freshest of ingredients from local fishermen and farmers on Vancouver Island.

Cheers,

Marty Kukler

Tofino, BC
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“Poor service, bland food”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Went there for lunch. Service was superficially friendly but there was an obvious lack of knowledge about the menu items. Frequent blank stares of apathy were encountered from the wait staff.

My girlfriend had the Salmon salad which turned out to be mostly just lettuce, some quite average salmon and a very bland sauce. I had the house "Shanty" Monte Cristo sandwich, which was soggy and tasteless. The clam chowder was decent however.

We would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. We were quite disappointed.

• Visited April 2014
4 Thank George G
Hi George,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what areas we needed improvement on. Over the past year we have gone through a complete shift. The original owner's, Cathy and Lewis George, of the restaurant took back ownership and completely changed up the management, service staff and Chef's.

We have rolled out a new menus that utilizes the freshest of ingredients from our local ocean waters and farmers here on Vancouver Island.

We hope that on your next trip to Tofino, you will allow us to prove all this to you.

Cheers,