“Food was good but the service was awful.”

Sea Shanty Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 53 Restaurants in Tofino
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: The Owners Lewis & Cathy George would like to welcome you to the Shanty. We are very excited to offer a wide variety of seafood options. The best view in Tofino combined with great food and service promises you an unforgettable experience. Located on 300 Main Street Downtown Tofino on the waterfront.
“Food was good but the service was awful.”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I ate lunch here while on vacation. We ordered and it took around an hour for our food to get to us. The soup i had was really good and so were the french fries but My husbaf and i both ordered the retro burger. The burgers were so tough that I could barely cut through the burger with my knife. It was the worst burger that we have ever had. The ladies across from us also complained about their burgers being really tough. He gave us 20% off our bill which was okay but I only ate half my burger. It would have been nice if he had offered us something else to eat instead. And if all that wasnt enough we stood up at the interac machine for 10 minutes and still no one helped us! So we finally scrounged up enough cash to pay and left it in the bill fold at the front. It was probably just a off day for them and their burgers but there is no excuse for the complete lack of customer service. We will not be back.

Godalming, United Kingdom
“Great sunset”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We timed out visit to coincide with the sunset over the bay and wasn't disappointed. The staff were very helpful putting up blinds and moving umbrellas! Felt a little rushed when we were asked about dessert before everyone had finished their mains - but then hadn't realised that they finished at 9pm!

Visited August 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Way to pricy for the service and quality of food”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My family ate at the Sea Shanty on Aug 9th because every other place in Tofino was filled up.

The view was great, but our food was not the best. The chowder was tasteless and kids fish and chips were ok but the kids meals were $13/ each. My oysters were okay.

The service wasn't special either.

Overall it was the most expensive meal we had in Tofino with the least value for money.

• Visited August 2013
Margot B, Owner at Sea Shanty Restaurant, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor with fellow travellers.
I would like to start by apologizing that your experience with us did not exceed your expectations. All of our menu items are created from fresh, local ingredients with recipes that highlight the natural flavours of all the wonderful ingredients. The same is true for the items on the Children's menu. We simply could not compromise quality for price. Though they are slightly higher than what most consider 'normal,' we feel the quality justifies the price.

If you would like to elaborate more regarding the service, I would be most pleased to correspond with you directly. The comment regarding the service not being 'special' is vague and I would love to hear more direct feedback pertaining to the service. I'm always looking for constructive comments about service because this is very important to me.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to provide additional details and thank you for stopping in. I certainly hope you'd give us another opportunity on your next visit to Tofino. Ask your service staff what they would recommend. Everyone has a favourite and everyone loves something different.

Warmest Regards,
Margot
Chef/Owner
Palermo, Italy
“Good food but slow service”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Great view, very romantic and good atmosphere inside. However the service is quite slow. Good food. We got salmon (well cooked), but the condiment was cold. Same issue with the beef. Did they use microwave to reheat? Maybe...
As dessert we had a banana with a chocolate cream! Delicious!!
Overall I think it's worthy having dinner here, also because the price is appropriate for what you eat.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great view, ok food”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Wait staff were lovely but food was very mayo heavy!
Deck is restricted - no minors but I suspect the view would have been worth it.

Visited August 2013