“Tasty brunch served lukewarm”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Spotted Bear - CLOSED

Spotted Bear
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Tofino, Canada
“Tasty brunch served lukewarm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Great tasting food for brunch, but served lukewarm. Likely worth eating here again.I am particular and thought the service could be better, as well as the food warmer. Was very busy for Sunday brunch, which can be challenging for servers trying to do all things pertaining to all customers at once and chefs/cooks trying to ensure food comes up in a timely manner. Interesting decor, but I did not like the wooden thingie on the table where the condiments and spices are housed - awkward to deal with!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Robin T

Bellingham, Washington
“Don't Miss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We ate at the Spotted Bear on our last night in Tofino, and it'll be our first stop on our next visit. Over the course of nearly a week, we sampled several of Tofino's restaurants, and in an area with numerous good places to enjoy, it stood out. It's a small venue and very intimate, and we'd give it high marks for a romantic dinner. It appears that the menu changes constantly, and on our evening, my partner had grilled salmon and I a seared albacore tuna. After our first bites, all we could do was look at each other and say "Oh My!" The fish was of the highest quality and prepared to perfection. The accompanying vegetables were superbly matched to the fish and just right as well. Even the house Cabernet was delicious. The Spotted Bear (love the name, too) is, frankly, as excellent a restaurant as I've ever experienced.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank HeadingOut98229
Italy, Texas
“Bring me back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I wish I could of taken this spot home with me. The staff were so great and the food was incredible. It's just off the main street and a hidden gem. You have to try the sunday brunch!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Charles B
Vancouver, Canada
“Nice cosy place, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Small place with cosy ambiance. Small menu, but good choices and fresh/local ingredients. We were 4 adults and a toddler so sampled quite a few items and we were all happy with our choices. I liked that the toddler menu offered grilled salmon in addition to the classic the pizza/pasta - our daughter likes fish and I'd rather her have the real "restaurant" experience. I had the pasta with slow cooked chicken which was good - not an amazing dish but then I have great expectations when it comes to food :) We shared a taste flambee as starter, which was slightly odd to me (it is prepared on naan bread) but then I come from Alsace - the region of tarte flambee - and should have known it wouldn't be homestyle.
I really liked the fact that it was a small place, we had made a reservation which may not have been needed in low season but then better safe than sorry. Owner was very friendly and very helpful. Other diners all seemed to enjoy their time as well.
In summary, good ambiance, good food, good evening; slightly on the expensive side, but you get what you pay for in terms of food quality. I'd go back.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank mc789
Calgary, Canada
“Lovely Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

We ate at the Spotted Bear on a Thursday night at 7pm on our first night we arrived in Tofino. Wow - did it ever set the bar high for our successor restaurants we planned on eating at. It is a cozy intimate restaurant without being pretentious and stuffy. The chef is amazing - and the kitchen is an open concept with it being front and centre. Great selection for land and sea lovers. The ambience is what you make of it - I think you could dress up or come in casual and it wouldn't matter. Great service. - we made our reservation by email - and we received a prompt response which was appreciated. Drink menu is good (recommend the the Homey Bear drink..mmmmm). Would definitely go back - the duck served with potato and kale with sweet wine reduction was so good we didn't have room for dessert...thank you for the great first night in Tofino!!

• Visited April 2013