“One of many fine Tofino restaurants”
Review of Spotted Bear - CLOSED

Spotted Bear
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 15, 2012

The chef is great!...wonderfully prepared and delicious food with a portion that's not skimpy like most "bistros". My only gripe might be that (like all Tofino restaurants) they could perhaps have at least a couple of more reasonably priced house wines on the menu....I know there are decent one's out there that can be sold (with a profit) for under $30/bottle....

1  Thank fullguy

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I wanted to write another review of this restaurant based on our last visit there.

I can't believe anyone thinks this place isn't great value for money. For the quality of the ingredients and preparation its a complete steal.

We had a slight hiccup at the last visit due to the our table being double booked (can happen anywhere) - we were immediately sorted out with seats at the bar whilst we waited and free drinks - and very well looked after throughout the rest of the evening.

The starters and main course were all superb - my only, very slight , criticism is that the desserts lack as much flair as the rest of the menu - but are still very good.

We will visit again - and I thoroughly recommend it.

1  Thank DarrenKell
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This was recommended by the managers of our B&B, and I can't fathom why. The atmosphere was terrible, like eating in a box. The chef is talented and the food good, but way overpriced. They need a new location!

1  Thank flicka55
spottedbear, Owner at Spotted Bear, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear flicka55,

As the owner and chef of the Spotted Bear, I'm extremely sorry to hear that you did not have a more than wonderful dining experience. I was so glad to see that you did indeed enjoy the food and am flattered that you feel I am a talented chef, so I thank you very much. I am sorry you felt that my food did not merit the pricing. I believe in using the freshest and most sustainable products available; purveying those items from such a remote location in the winter months is not always easy and can dictate the prices accordingly.

Regarding the atmosphere and decor of the restaurant, I am always striving to make my restaurant a cozy, relaxed and comfortable space and it pains me to see that your experience was not so. If you could provide me with more detailed feedback - via private message if you prefer (info@spottedbearbistro.com) - so that I might better understand why it impacted your rating so much, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for coming in and for your feedback.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We have never been disappointed with our meal at this funky place. The food is fresh, prepared to perfection and delicious! The chef obviously takes pride in what he does.

1  Thank kinderale
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This bistro was recommended by our host at the B&B. It lived up to the recommendation. The three of us had a beautiful dinner, with great service. Who could ask for more?

1  Thank rjhoffman1950