“OK for beach bums”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tofino
Solwood Healing Arts Retreat & Spa
Ranked #38 of 42 Tofino B&B and Inns
Norfolk
“OK for beach bums”
Reviewed August 8, 2007

I booked this room (The Cathedral room) as I wanted our visit to Tofino to be the high spot of our trip to Vancouver & the island. The room was very expensive but looked something special on the website. In fact it WAS spectacular, but not comfortable. No shower (OK it has got a powertub, but I like a shower). Bed not comfortable. No comfortable seating, although there is acres of space. No chest of drawers.

Worst of all was the service, which is provided by surf dogs in exchange for a bed - in other words non-existant. We felt as if we were intruding on a private party - which we probably were. One morning we had no breakfast as the lad making it had no clue about what to do.

If you are looking for a laid back stay and are about 20, this may be the place for you - but it is not the 5* accomodation which we paid for. Just writing to the owners......

• Liked — Close to Chesterman beach
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed June 17, 2007

If you want a flashback to the past, this is the place. A true hippy gem. We stayed in the Solwood cabin for $150/ night as we came during the week. Loved the driftwood/wood decor, and cedar shingles, Cottage style dishes, surrounding trees. The best part were the skylights above the loft bed, and watching the stars. And, it was very quiet at night. Didn't like the resident cat, which was left inside, and was very cute, but left fuzzy black cat hair all over the duvet. It was very nice being so close to the beach, but we got the impression when booking that it was on the beach. We were anticipating the hot stone massage, but when we arrived, nothing was ever mentioned to us about it (but we should have asked). The owners were very nice, but the staff were a bit standoffish. Note: the breakfast is homemade muffins and waffles, don't expect eggs. Tthe neighbouring b& b's were a little overzealous with the leafblower/chainsaw/ around dinner time, so it would have been better to have eaten out. I have been to Tofino several times over 8 years, and I would recommend this to someone surfing/with pets, and as a romantic hippy getaway.

• Liked — Cottage decor & skylights
  • Disliked — Cat hair and standoffish staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
San Francisco
Reviewed October 7, 2006

I stayed here two nights last week (October 2006) and found it to be an interesting experience. This is a great place for some visitors but I don't think it's for everyone. Imagine it as an artist's cottage right across the street from gorgeous Chesterman Beach and you'll get the picture. I stayed in the Forest Den Cottage, which has a loft with a double bed, a separate loft room (no door) with another double bed, and a downstairs sunroom (with a door) with yet another futon couch bed. If you are staying there with a large group and you all get along in close quarters, this would be a perfect place. As a solo traveler, I found it a bit odd to have three beds to choose from, but I just picked the separate loft room and that was fun to stay in. The stairs to the loft are beautifully made from curved wood but very steep, so I wouldn't recommend it for people who might not be steady on their feet. I didn't use the kitchen but if you're wanting to save money (meals in Tofino can be expensive) or you're there to fish and want to cook what you catch, this would be a great place to do it. If you're a surfer or with a group of outdoor enthusiasts who like to rent cabins, these cottages would be perfect. They are literally yards from the beach and the entire street has so many trees, you can barely see the houses. It has a very foresty feel which I loved. I peeked into the other Sala Berry Cottage, which was also very cute. The main house, where the owner and her son live, is gorgeous, but I don't know how private it would feel if I had stayed there as a B&B guest. I think the cottages are better bets for solo travelers. The owner and her son are both very nice, I got a good vibe from them. Overall, this place is a good alternative to the more expensive places to stay in Tofino, but just be aware that it's very stripped down, not like a B&B.

1 Thank Momo_on_vacation