“Be prepared for ups and downs ...”

and 1 more site!
The Inn at Tough City
Ranked #20 of 41 Tofino B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 16, 2010

This property is quirky and eclectic so your stay may have some ups and downs like ours did. The owner helped us with our bags when we went to the room and introduced us to "King," his huge, but totally gentle dog, that spends a lot of time on the porch. Our check-in was courteous & the owner's partner/significant other helped us out 1 night by giving us a tip about a public (no fee) beach to walk on, Chesterman Beach. Our room was downstairs from the restaurant & the confirmation said, "There may be some noise from above when our sushi bar is open, just so you know." They were right - you could hear the staff setting up in late morning & the noises of tables & chairs being shuffled around & footsteps back & forth on the wooden floor, etc. but at least there wasn't a lot of conversation noise late into the night, even when the restaurant was quite busy. We had room #3 & stayed for 4 nights. The bathroom was roomy and modern, with good towels which were changed daily, but no hair dryer provided. The king size mattress was firm, which we liked, the duvet comfortable, and the pillows just O.K. A coffeemaker, wine glasses, tiny TV, & small mini frig that "buzzed" all the time (& woke me up frequently in the night) were provided. There was an old dressing table/mirror missing it's top with 3 tiny drawers, a coat rack with some hangers, and two luggage racks, but no closet. Due to our longer stay we lived out of our suitcasees and I would have appreciated a dresser or a closet. This room has a small deck that looks onto the ocean with one O.K. deck chair & a broken bar stool with an unattached seat. However, the view right off the deck was a pile of empty buckets & left-over wood from a buillding project. There was a combination of white cotton & black velvet curtains. so if you want a dark room at night these won't help you. The sushi bar was both a plus & a minus - GREAT restaurant (amazing Buddha roll and Crazy Ron roll), but the smell of sushi every time we walked in & out of the hotel to our room got to me after 1 day. Late one afternoon my husband wanted to have a beer on the deck of the restaurant (which had about six customers at the time) to look out onto the water but the staff wouldn't serve him unless he ordered a meal. We were kind of perturbed about that considering we were spending $800 Canadian for just our room and it wasn't busy at all. They do have four blue deck chairs on the porch (along with 2 rusting gallon paint cans & dried-up paint rollers a barrel next to them) where you could have a drink from their bar, but this side of the porch looks onto an unfinished restaurant that they appear to be slowly constructing next door.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank woodbuddy

Reviewed August 1, 2010

Quirky and comfortable hotel in a splendid corner of Vancouver Island. Room overlooked the Pacific Ocean and views of wildlife and boats. Good food as well.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2010

This was our second time staying here. We stayed here once in 2007 and loved it. We even got the same room. While we knew not to expect too much, the room was not very clean and there was a very large "love stain" on our blanket. I asked for the bed to be remade and received a much colder attitude than we had in the past. During our previous stay the staff were very welcoming... but it seems like no one really cared this time around. We were disappointed and probably won't go back. It just seemed like the front desk staff was sick of dealing with tourists.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2009

We spent one night at this hotel. The power was out from Port Alberni to Tofino (20 000 people) so the restaurant was not open and it was very quiet. The girl at the front desk (the owner) was very nice with us. We talked with her for a half of hour and it was very funny and interesting. The power was out and we wanted some beer. The BC Liquor Store was closed so we asked her if we could buy some beer from the restaurant even if it's closed. She said we could take some beers but told us that we could replace them the day after, when the power is back and the liquor store is open so we don't have to pay the big price. Very nice from her !

The room was beautiful and clean and the bed was very good (Room 4)
Wonderfull view of water and mountains.
The balcony was large enough... with chairs.
A very nice place from the inside and the outside.

The place is probably noisy when the restaurant is open. We could easily hear people going up and down the stairs. And there's probably a sushi smell too. If you don't mind about a little sushi smell and noise when the restaurant is open, this place is perfect !

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trounoir
Reviewed August 30, 2009

My boyfriend and I just got back from a 2 night stay at the Inn at Tough City. Even though we had a fabulous vacation, this Hotel was definitely not the highlight. The Hotel looks beautiful from the Outside, but we didn't have a very comfortable stay. The whole Hotel smells like Sushi of course, from the restaurant below. This is definitely not a luxury Hotel!
We stayed in Room # 6, which had a balcony with an ocean view and a soaker tub. The room was quite basic, and the bed was extremely uncomfortable. The pillows were totally flat and shapeless, and need replacing. The mattress sloped down really low on one side and gave no support, while the other side was firm. It seemed like a really old mattress that needed to be thrown out. We had to squeeze into one side of the bed together. The only nice thing about the bed was the duvet cover. The rooms are also hot with no AC and the fridge buzzed loudly throughout the night, waking me up. The smells coming in through the open door were either like camp fire or rotten fish, not too pleasent.
After the first night I went to speak to the Front Desk about possibly changing rooms because of the bed. The girl I spoke to offered no apology or suggestions about the bed being uncomfortable, except to let me know which other rooms were available, (and we would have to pay more.)
The bathroom was nice though, and I had a very relaxing bath in the big soaker tub! I wouldn't stay at this Hotel again!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Upon check in, we have been told check out time is 2 PM so I thought they were so nice to allow us for late check out. We were staying there for 2 night. On the check out day, we went for breakfast at 11:30 am and back to the hotel at 12:25 just to take my luggage. Once I walk into the hotel, the housekeeping lady was yelling at me that I did not check out by noon so I told her that I have been told that we can out by 2. She did not listening and keeps complaining. I ignored her and walked to my room I found that all of my personal belonging has been threw out from the room and left it at the hall way all over. I was so mad and went to talk with the front desk girl but got no help or apologize from the hotel other than staring at me like an alien and 2 other employees came in and were very rude and laughing at me and said I wasn't right about my check out time and blamed on the check in girl that she was stupid. There is nothing to do with me and nothing that I can do other than leaving the place with unhappiness.

The place is very nice in decoration. My room is in the lower level and quite hot (no AC). You can hear everyone walking or moving things around upstairs. Good view but the noise from the float plane bothering so much in the early morning. Sushi is good even the price is quite high. GOOD FOOD, GOOD LOCATION, GOOD VIEW, AVERAGE ROOM, BUT NOISY,AND POOR -LOW CLASS SERVICE which ruin the whole trip. Better find another place where I can pay the same but better customer service. Absolutely won't go back to this place again even I like the food there so much. Why you pay such a high price for the room and get this type of service?

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2009

We stayed at Tough City for 2 nights in June, and it wasn't long enough. The Inn is located on the water front in Tofino, and offered great views from our room (#4) of the goings on in the harbour. Our room was spacious with a comfy bed, balcony, bathroom with a huge soaker tub. The room was clean and well decorated with local artisan work on the walls. I had two nights of solid sleep at this property, and was only awaken the next morning by the sun coming in the window. It was great to have a coffee and watch the float planes and water taxi's arrive into the harbour.
The owners dog and cat made the place feel like home, and everyone who worked on site was friendly and helpful.
The Sushi restaurant is a must visit as well, and try the local micro brewery beer - it was fabulous.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple