“Eclectic inn”

The Inn at Tough City
Ranked #22 of 41 Tofino B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 21, 2006

We came up on the Inn at Tough City as our last resort if we wanted to visit Tofino. We ended up staying in two different rooms (#3 & #4) and were happy with both. #4 was a bit more money, but definitely worth it as it had a wonderful view of the ocean and harbour. The bathroom was also a lot nicer. The only complaint that I have about the rooms is that there was nowhere to store any of our things- there aren't any dressers or anything with drawers. We were travelling with an infant and so the rooms seemed crowded because we couldn't really tuck anything away. If it were just my husband and I travelling, the rooms would have been spacious enough. Prior to going, we were concerned about the noise level coming from the restaurant, but didn't find it to be a problem. In room #3 (on the lower level), we could hear chairs scraping the floor upstairs, and in room #4 (on the top floor) some louder voices carried up to the room, but nothing that was disturbing. The restaurant closes at 10 anyways, so any noise being made in the restaurant is gone by the time you want to relax. When we go back to Tofino, we will book at a place that is beachfront (i.e. Pacific Sands), but for our first trip there, staying at the Inn allowed us to explore the town and drive out to the beaches.

• Stayed: August 2006
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank Mayasmum

A TripAdvisor Member
uk
Reviewed November 8, 2005

I had rainbows on my bed! Simply scrumptious!

Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 28, 2005

When we first got there, I checked the beds in our bedroon and they weren't changed, it had hair in it, long hair and other hair, you know what I mean... We had the room at the front right above the sushi bar, it was very hot, it had a constant smell of some gas from the kitchen. We left the windows opened because of the heat and smell and was kept up or woken up all night because of noise on the street. Got some ear plugs the next day. Then, the restaurant staff kept the music so loud while cleaning after it was closed. They also advertised "beatifull wrap-around" balcony, well, if you're lucky, you'll get one of the only two rooms with ocean view, other than that, "that" balcony is part of the restorant/bar and you have to pay money to sit on it, drinking-eating, they prefer that you eat, not only have a glass of wine as I was told.
I first emailed the Inn to ask about availability and price and I was sent a document with the price of each room. Later on my mother in-law called and reserved two rooms and was charged more money than advertised.
Don't go there, over-priced, mold in the shower, they don't change the bed, it's noisy, no service etc...But the cleaning girl is nice.

• Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank Caro_023
A TripAdvisor Member
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 9, 2005

We had reviewed the website pictures and information and when booking the rooms asked specificially if the rooms were quiet (the only rooms available to us were over the sushi bar and facing the street) and were told that the bar closes at 10:00 and it is quiet after that. We needed to leave windows open as the rooms were hot and we needed the ventilation. There was constant loud conversation outside the restaurant area until after midnight each night, and noise and foul language from roaming crowds of people walking the street in front of our rooms until 2:00 to 2:30 each of the 3 nights we were there. This combined with the daytime constant loud profanities from "crazy Ron" the owner, made The Inn at Tough City a totally unsuitable place to stay with our 12 year old daughter, and a place we will never return to or recommend to others. A few beautiful stained glass windows and antique furniture cannot make up for all of the other negatives.

• Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 6, 2004

There is nothing positive to write about this "hotel" room except that you can check out late! And, given the cleanliness of the room and bath, you'd not want to stay past 9 am! As others have noted, there are no closets or chest of drawers to put your belongings. And, black and pink mold on the bath tile didn't exactly contribute to wanting to use the oversized tub. There were also dirty finger smudges on the door mouldings, cracked baseboards, holes in the walls that were patched with spackle yet not painted, soot on the windowsills, and the piece de resistance: dirty coffee cups for in the in-room coffee. When confronted with the most portable of the aforementioned evidence (coffee cups) they offered to take off 10%, but then didn't when I left to talk to my husband. I plan on emailing my complaints to the owner, but from other comments on this site, it's doubtful that they will do anything. While the outside was very pretty, the rooms were disappointing.

• Stayed: November 2004
4  Thank TinaKayAlameda_CA
Reviewed September 27, 2004

A stunning imported and rebuilt brick hotel with the most gorgeous views of Meares Island and Tofino harbour. Beautifully and characterfully decorated in gorgeous shades of blue and yellow with lots of First Nations artwork and old tin signs; the use of stained and leaded glass everywhere adds a wonderfully eccentric touch. Someone has had fun here!! The atmosphere is extremely casual and service non-existent (you have to go out for breakfast) but the stunning views from rooms 4&5 make up for any deficiency. Besides a hotel with a checkout time of 2pm has got to be a rare thing!! Our stay cost $175 CAD per room (+ tax) in September and it was worth it. We'll go again!

Reviewed July 13, 2004

in August of 2002, my husband and I were visiting relatives in Vancouver, when we decided that we would take a trip to the Island. I called BC tourism that morning and was told to call back for hotel cancellations, as currently there were no vacancies in Tofino.

When I called they had one room! The Inn at Tough City. I booked it immediately. Upon our arrival I was speechless. The brick building, the stained glass windows, the antiques were so incredible, my comment to my husband at that time was; 'wow, we really lucked out.'

We ate dinner on the deck facing the harbour and the sushi and other food that we ordered were great. Joanna the owner was most friendly and very entertaining.

Unfortunately, we could only have the room for one night, as they were booked solid and no cancellations had come in for the next evening, but the memory of this Inn will stay with me forever.

• Stayed: August 2002