“Very great place but probably a little noisy when the restaurant is open.”

The Inn at Tough City
Ranked #17 of 42 Tofino B&B and Inns
Montreal
“Very great place but probably a little noisy when the restaurant is open.”
Reviewed October 2, 2009

We spent one night at this hotel. The power was out from Port Alberni to Tofino (20 000 people) so the restaurant was not open and it was very quiet. The girl at the front desk (the owner) was very nice with us. We talked with her for a half of hour and it was very funny and interesting. The power was out and we wanted some beer. The BC Liquor Store was closed so we asked her if we could buy some beer from the restaurant even if it's closed. She said we could take some beers but told us that we could replace them the day after, when the power is back and the liquor store is open so we don't have to pay the big price. Very nice from her !

The room was beautiful and clean and the bed was very good (Room 4)
Wonderfull view of water and mountains.
The balcony was large enough... with chairs.
A very nice place from the inside and the outside.

The place is probably noisy when the restaurant is open. We could easily hear people going up and down the stairs. And there's probably a sushi smell too. If you don't mind about a little sushi smell and noise when the restaurant is open, this place is perfect !

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trounoir

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Vancouver
Reviewed August 30, 2009

My boyfriend and I just got back from a 2 night stay at the Inn at Tough City. Even though we had a fabulous vacation, this Hotel was definitely not the highlight. The Hotel looks beautiful from the Outside, but we didn't have a very comfortable stay. The whole Hotel smells like Sushi of course, from the restaurant below. This is definitely not a luxury Hotel!
We stayed in Room # 6, which had a balcony with an ocean view and a soaker tub. The room was quite basic, and the bed was extremely uncomfortable. The pillows were totally flat and shapeless, and need replacing. The mattress sloped down really low on one side and gave no support, while the other side was firm. It seemed like a really old mattress that needed to be thrown out. We had to squeeze into one side of the bed together. The only nice thing about the bed was the duvet cover. The rooms are also hot with no AC and the fridge buzzed loudly throughout the night, waking me up. The smells coming in through the open door were either like camp fire or rotten fish, not too pleasent.
After the first night I went to speak to the Front Desk about possibly changing rooms because of the bed. The girl I spoke to offered no apology or suggestions about the bed being uncomfortable, except to let me know which other rooms were available, (and we would have to pay more.)
The bathroom was nice though, and I had a very relaxing bath in the big soaker tub! I wouldn't stay at this Hotel again!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
BC
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Upon check in, we have been told check out time is 2 PM so I thought they were so nice to allow us for late check out. We were staying there for 2 night. On the check out day, we went for breakfast at 11:30 am and back to the hotel at 12:25 just to take my luggage. Once I walk into the hotel, the housekeeping lady was yelling at me that I did not check out by noon so I told her that I have been told that we can out by 2. She did not listening and keeps complaining. I ignored her and walked to my room I found that all of my personal belonging has been threw out from the room and left it at the hall way all over. I was so mad and went to talk with the front desk girl but got no help or apologize from the hotel other than staring at me like an alien and 2 other employees came in and were very rude and laughing at me and said I wasn't right about my check out time and blamed on the check in girl that she was stupid. There is nothing to do with me and nothing that I can do other than leaving the place with unhappiness.

The place is very nice in decoration. My room is in the lower level and quite hot (no AC). You can hear everyone walking or moving things around upstairs. Good view but the noise from the float plane bothering so much in the early morning. Sushi is good even the price is quite high. GOOD FOOD, GOOD LOCATION, GOOD VIEW, AVERAGE ROOM, BUT NOISY,AND POOR -LOW CLASS SERVICE which ruin the whole trip. Better find another place where I can pay the same but better customer service. Absolutely won't go back to this place again even I like the food there so much. Why you pay such a high price for the room and get this type of service?

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Tofino hotels

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2009

We stayed at Tough City for 2 nights in June, and it wasn't long enough. The Inn is located on the water front in Tofino, and offered great views from our room (#4) of the goings on in the harbour. Our room was spacious with a comfy bed, balcony, bathroom with a huge soaker tub. The room was clean and well decorated with local artisan work on the walls. I had two nights of solid sleep at this property, and was only awaken the next morning by the sun coming in the window. It was great to have a coffee and watch the float planes and water taxi's arrive into the harbour.
The owners dog and cat made the place feel like home, and everyone who worked on site was friendly and helpful.
The Sushi restaurant is a must visit as well, and try the local micro brewery beer - it was fabulous.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2009

It's not a resort, but if you're looking for a place to kickback and take your shoes on the deck then this is the place. It's a unique hotel and loved the service. Especially Francine at the Front Desk. Room was OK. We stayed in room and it has a nice view of the bay.

The sushi at the Restaurant is to die for. Mmmmmmm. So buttery and fresh. The portions are perfect and quality is supreme. The Tsunami roll...has my heart for a very long time.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 20, 2008

Fabulous view from some of the rooms but a somewhat quirky hotel with an owner who is also equally strange. Rooms are OK but you have to be willing to be a bit flexible on the standard of cleaniness

• Liked — location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2008

This was a cute little place and very enjoyable stay for us. It is centrally located in the town of Tofino and would require a car drive to reach major beaches in the area.

We found it to be clean, friendly, and good value for the money . Glad we stayed here instead of the Wick!. Crazy Ron was a hoot too!

• Liked — coziness
  • Stayed September 2004, traveled as a couple