“Not worth the money”

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
Parksville, Canada
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

One night stay in room 61, a deluxe sixplex suite.

For the price, I expected the room to be almost comparable with the pristine location. Not so. I don't often stay in accommodations in the $300+ price range, but when I do I certainly want to have an experience that justifies the expense.

The front desk and housekeeping staff were extremely helpful in getting us into our room a couple of hours ahead of time, and even calling to let me know when the room was ready. A great start to the stay!

On the surface, the room appeared well maintained with cozy decor and wonderful patio space for some drinks. Although I appreciated the basket of chocolate, nuts, chips and other goodies left on the table, I had a chuckle while reading the "Welcome Guest" card, as it was addressed to someone else. Not a big deal. Hopefully those other guests didn't miss out on the basket entirely, and got mine instead!

There were, however, other things that I found a bit more offensive. Dirty dishes in the cupboard, burn holes in the oven mitts, coffee stains on almost every page of the book containing details about the property, a time without hot water (which was sorted out quickly), and...holes in the sheets and pillow cases on the bed.

I have years of experience in hotel and resort housekeeping which may leave me overly critical in some respects. That being said, I am usually more than forgiving, as I know what it is like to clean up after people day in and day out. I was fine until I saw the sheets on the bed - there is no excuse for linen of this quality still being in rotation! At least two people touched these items before I checked in, and the person who made the bed was obviously one of them!

I haven't stayed anywhere else in the area, but I am certain that I could find similar quality for less of a charge on my credit card.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 8675309_82
MBL_Manager, Manager at Middle Beach Lodge, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear 8675309_82,

We appreciate you taking a moment to review your past stay at the lodge. Each comment you have made will be addressed with our management team, who will review the service levels that were provided during your stay.

We are truly sorry that your experience at Middle Beach Lodge did not meet up to your expectations. The housekeeping issues you have brought to our attention have been discussed with the housekeeping manager and are being dealt with accordingly. We also would also like to apologize for the rare occurrence of the hot water tank malfunction. Our maintenance team was able to locate and fix the problem and we have ordered a new appliance.

I would like to encourage you to contact myself or our General Manager, Duane Bell with any further comments or concerns.

Our hope is that if you were to return to the West Coast we would have the opportunity to show you that your past experience does not truly represent our brand.

Kind Regards,

Markus McRurie
Manager
Middle Beach Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I am a longtime fan of Middle Beach Lodge, and it is still one of my favorite places on the planet. That said, when I returned this time after a long absence of over eight years, I was a bit sad to see that the customer service and general "warmth" of the staff had declined a bit.

MBL's tendency has always been to hire young, attractive women, and this has not changed...however, I wonder if the staff are perhaps TOO young and could use a bit more training and experience. All of my interactions with the resort staff seemed stilted and a bit cursory, with none of the genuine warmth that I remembered so well from what used to be annual visits until 2005. The breakfast quality was also far below what I remembered, dominated by cold pastries. And due to a chimney issue they'd had, there was NO fire burning in the fireplace the whole time we were there. Granted, this happens, and it's just really, really bad timing! But I think other repeat guests would agree that MBL without a fire in the evening and morning isn't really MBL.

All that being said, Middle Beach Lodge still has the most perfect location and most stunning views anywhere. The decor and furnishings are comfortably rustic and beautiful, and the whole aura of the place is one of peace, beauty and tranquility. Our room was perfect, with a stunning beachfront view right from our super-soft bed, where we fell asleep and woke up to the sound of crashing waves right outside.

Overall, always worth a visit, and I have no doubt we'll be back again.

Room Tip: If you like peace & quiet, stay in the Lodge "At The Beach" (no kids allowed - love it...
Dear J19,

We appreciate you taking a moment to review your past stay at the lodge. We are thrilled that even after eight long years you decided to come back to Middle Beach Lodge!

We do take pride in having a well-trained customer serviced oriented front desk staff. Tofino, generally speaking, has an influx of young workers during the spring and summer months. Middle Beach Lodge’s policy has always been to hire the brightest and best out of this crowd. We do apologize that you unfortunately did not feel the usual Middle Beach Lodge “warmth” and the issue has been discussed with the Front Desk Manager.

Kind Regards,

Markus McRurie
Manager
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We had room #41 in the Headlands Lodge. Cheaper (smaller) than the rooms on either side, but with a great oceanside deck for viewing. This room is adjacent (30 ft.) from the main lodge. The room was quiet, clean and light. A nice touch was the unexpected bottle of wine for returning guests.
The buffet breakfast had lots of variety for a cold b/fast. Cereals, fruit, yogurt, rolls, buns, boiled eggs and great coffee. Nice open dining room.
The Lodge presents a dinner meal 3 times a week. We reserved for the halibut dinner and were very disappointed with the meal. Very bland and not as good as we expected at $37.00 each plus tax.
Other than that, we tended to agree with one of our fellow guests who said," This is as close to heaven as I'll ever get". We've been fortunate to have been going to Long Beach occasionally
over the last 30 years. We would go back to Middle Beach Lodge again in an instant.

Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We had a car cruise over to the Middle Beach Lodge mid week, Sarah from the Group Coordination section did a great job for us.....great rooms...great views...great staff....
Continental breakfast was great with a lot of items either local or made in house...blessed with 2 sunny calm days....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

It's the second time i chose middle beach lodge resort. Their cabins are my favorite, not taht big but Cozy! They have delicious cookies and fresh fruits serving 24 hours. Beach is 2minutes away from cabins. My dog like the beach so much! They also designed beautiful trails for walking and wonderful BBQ spots. If u are heading to tofino, definitely choose them!

• Stayed April 2013
Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We had an ocean view room. Quiet, serene and calming. We will definitely return to this resort. We found it to be a well-managed resort. Josh, the Manager, went out of his way to ensure our stay was just perfect!

Kitchener, Ontario
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

The perfect setting for this seaside resort. Clean and comfortable lodge style with great views and a great location. The continental breakfast with homemade baked goods, etc were a great start to each morning. We will return!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple