“Nice view! Nice room! Nice service!”
Review of Middle Beach Lodge

Middle Beach Lodge
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Nice view! Nice room! Nice service!”
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

It's the second time i chose middle beach lodge resort. Their cabins are my favorite, not taht big but Cozy! They have delicious cookies and fresh fruits serving 24 hours. Beach is 2minutes away from cabins. My dog like the beach so much! They also designed beautiful trails for walking and wonderful BBQ spots. If u are heading to tofino, definitely choose them!

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We had an ocean view room. Quiet, serene and calming. We will definitely return to this resort. We found it to be a well-managed resort. Josh, the Manager, went out of his way to ensure our stay was just perfect!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kitchener, Ontario
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

The perfect setting for this seaside resort. Clean and comfortable lodge style with great views and a great location. The continental breakfast with homemade baked goods, etc were a great start to each morning. We will return!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

A real little find. We were welcomed warmly by Yasmina who was delightful and kind, she lit roaring fires and baked fresh cookies for all the guests. The staff here can't do enough for you, they booked our whale watching tour for us, they lend out bright yellow Sou'Westers and Wellington boots, tell you where things are, and how to find them, with willingness and smiles.
The Lodge itself is really charming a large open space with a communal flavour, and outstanding views over its own private beach, there are chess boards, books, blankets, tea and coffee always available.
The bit we stayed in happened to be a 'child free' area, and it was very soothing I must admit, but they have a 40 acre plot including a family friendly lodge, there is a dining room too, but you have to check the season to find out if they're serving evening meals.
The rooms are small but cleverly designed in an 'Eco lodge' style, with soft comforting bedding and views over the ocean. Ours had a private balcony but it only cost 100 Canadian dollars. The bathrooms are quite basic admittedly and it doesn't offer 5 star luxury, but when you walk in for breakfast in the morning freshly baked cinnamon buns waft to greet you and lots of kind, genuine people offer fantastic service in one of the most rugged and beautiful places. If we were ever here in Vancouver Island again we wouldn't hesitate to book in again.
It isn't at all corporate but offers lots of personality and individuality instead.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed in a lodge room with ocean views. The room was beautiful the staff were wonderful.
We had a package for bear and whale watching which was sensational.
The five course dinner in the restaurant was delicious and the cookies at evening were yummy.
The continental breakfast with eggs exceeded my expectations and was tasty and filling.

I would definitely come back to This gorgeous resort its the best place I've stayed in tofino I just wish they had hottubs for the people who are staying in the lodge rooms.

Only negative note I have to add is the beach is not accessible here to people who walk with canes or wheelchairs. I actually wouldn't stay here if I was handicapped due to stairs etc but other than that fantastic place.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Canadiatravelgoddess
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Middle Beach Lodge portrays the true character of the West Coast and is what first made me fall in love with the area. I remember first seeing the photos online and reading reviews here, thinking that this place must be special - and it is. I love the charm, the character, the West Coast decor. And of course the breakfasts were great too.

I chose an upper end unit in the sixplex, complete with balcony, fireplace, large jetted tub, small kitchenette, sitting area and separate bedroom. I absolutely loved it - it was cozy, but roomy enough compared to other rooms at MBL. I loved leaving the balcony door open, hearing the ocean, watching the tides, the sunsets. Even from when you first arrive, it's the small details that do stand out. There are raincoats and gum boots for guest's use by the lodge entrance, the keys are charming, and the lounge at the Headlands Lodge (and also the one at Lodge at the Beach) is extremely charming. You could spend hours just sitting there or leaning on the verandah, watching the water.

As I could only get three consecutive nights in the sixplex units, I moved to the Lodge at the Beach after those days. That place was great too, though I do enjoy being a bit higher up at the Headlands. The room was tiny, but of course also had a much lower price tag. A few shelves would have been handy, as there's literally only about a couple of feet around the bed. The hooks on the wall were handy for hanging things, and the balcony facing the ocean was superb. You truly do see the water and it was relaxing to sit out there.

As I am very particular in choosing my accommodations, I wanted something that offered me the West Coast charm, that was quiet, not a typical touristy spot (with all the rowdiness that goes along with that). Middle Beach Lodge truly delivered and I would certainly give five stars for all of the above.

The only minor drawback I would comment on is their reservation service. Before I booked I called a couple of times and was surprised to get vastly different offerings both times. I got the same sense while I was visiting; some of the front desk staff seemed very young and seasonal. My sense was that they can take reservations, but don't put in too much effort when you're looking for a specific type of room.

Having decided that I would return to Middle Beach Lodge this summer, then for a couple of weeks at Christmas, and basically make it my home-away-from-home for mid-year getaways, I decided to book further in advance this year and go for mid-week dates in order to finally get a lower triplex unit (#35, 35, 37, 38, 50 or 51) or otherwise stay in an upper end sixplex unit again (#43 or 45). I gave them all my room preferences, and noted that I would be willing to even switch rooms mid-stay if absolutely necessary. Ironically enough, the room types that I indicated I am not interested in are the only ones that were offered to me. It's made me wonder how carefully e-mails are read or whether any options were even considered, or whether this is a place that has a 'preferred' clientele. Unfortunately it means that I may not be able to return to Middle Beach Lodge, so have started looking for an alternate that can be a place to return to year after year.

Room Tip: For the real West Coast experience, go for a room with ocean view and stay at the Headlands.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The property this lodge is on is beautiful.

We stayed in a triplex cabin which had one bedroom, a loft with bed, and a pull out couch, we were in cabin #50. This cabin is up on a cliff with ocean views. It is not beach front. The cabin was clean. This particular cabin looks directly into the cabin next to you and did not have a hot tub on the patio like the one next to it.

My only complaints are that we were told that when we got to the room there would be a doggie package (towels, poop bag, and cookies) for our two dogs and there wasn't, I had to go back to the main desk and ask for it.

I also called and emailed ahead of time to find out what appliances were in the kitchen, I was told there would be a hot plate, microwave, small fridge, toaster, and a toaster oven as well as cutlery, utensils, pots pans etc. This is all true except that there isn't a toaster or a toaster oven, so all the food we had brought to make in the toaster oven went to waste.

Positives:
Complimentary continental breakfast between 8-10am and cookies around 8pm is they aren't serving dinner that day.

Overall I would try staying somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Cabin 50 is a lower suite and it can be noisy depending on who you have upstairs
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
MBL_Manager, Manager at Middle Beach Lodge, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear CWfromVIC,

Thank you for taking the time to review your past experience at Middle Beach Lodge in beautiful Tofino, British Columbia. It is unfortunate to learn that Middle Beach Lodge did not meet up to your accommodation expectations.

Each issue you have addressed will be reviewed by the appropriate department manager, who will make sure that these issues are corrected.

When booking a unit we do explain to guests which units are ocean views and which units are partial ocean views. Guests do have the option to specifically request ocean views and can even ask our front desk staff which units have the nicest views. None of our units have hot tubs, however, our Deluxe Cabins and our Single Cabins all come with Jacuzzi Tubs on the decks, and again these can be requested at the time of the booking.

We apologize for the misinformation about the toaster oven in your unit. Guests can request toasters from the front desk and units that have full kitchens do come with ovens.

We truly apologize that we did not meet your expectations, and our hope is that if you were to stay with us again, we could show you an exceptional experience which is truly the Middle Beach Lodge Experience.

Markus McRurie