“Longing for the Long Beach Lodge”

Long Beach Lodge Resort
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
Reviewed March 10, 2010

We booked an early start to spring vacation spending 2 nights at a cabin at the Long Beach Lodge. One word to describe it would be "fantastic". The staff was excellent, and the fish and chips at their dining room / lounge are to die for. They are probably the best fish and chips on the West Coast! The best surprise was the 2 days that we were there it was sunny with blue skies, warm and the surf was pounding in. The kids surfed and I took some great surfing photos.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Surfingphotographer
Write a ReviewReviews (3,105)

Reviewed February 28, 2010

A gorgeous hotel, beautiful rooms, fabulous food and spectacular sunsets...need I say more. Truly paradise!

Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CWR65
Reviewed February 24, 2010

We visit Long Beach Lodge annually with friends and without question have never been disappointed with any aspect of our stay. We travel extensively both locally and internationally and with all honesty feel that our stay at this resort is one which we most look forward to. We have been coming here since it has opened and as soon as you walk into the great room you know you have made the right choice. It is a place to relax...to enjoy the magnificant ocean before you... to endulge in a well prepared and presented dining experience...and to regenerate the soul. Everything is wonderful. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Victoria_Garry
Reviewed February 12, 2010

Everything about the lodge was perfect. I forgot my laptop and would not do that next time even though the lodge has computer for guest use.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 10, 2010

Our first stay at Long Beach Lodge. We took advantage of one of the winter specials and found it was a tremendous bargain. The spacious beachfront room had spectacular views and we enjoyed watching the surf and surfers from the balcony and in front of the fireplace. The Great Room was a wonderful place to sit and enjoy the scenery as well. The Lodge has one of the best locations - just steps to the beach at Cox Bay. We walked along the beach each day and did Tai Chi on the sand. There was tremendous choice for the continental breakfasts and the two dinners we had there were excellent. No big storm to see - but sometimes you can't get everything at once! We will be back.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WestCoastConvert
Reviewed February 9, 2010

Upon our arrival on this much needed 'romantic getaway', the staff we're friendly and attentive. We we're told we had been upgraded to a deluxe suite, 'how lovely' we thought.
When we booked we specified we wanted beach front, the 'upgraded' suite was on the first floor up. Back to the front desk and I said I had specifically booked a beach front. Woman at front desk said she would see if any we're available(!) In the end- how lucky for us, there was 'one left'. How kind of you I thought. Our room was EXCACTLY the same as the supposed upgrade. Yes, the room was decent, big bath looking out to ocean was nice, but both myself and partner we're certainly not blown away, and we notcied the 'little things' that fell short of 5star. Stir sticks, rather than spoons with our in-room coffee/tea. And the coffee? gross! That's a common complaint, I know. Toilet roll 3/4 empty on the hanger, upon check-in. Shower mediocre pressure, at best. The kingbed was amasing- those pillows! Where can I get them? The view did impress us greatly. And in short- this is what you pay at this place and all along this coast. But seriously, get over yourselves and unless your service is up to it, your prices need to be signifigantly lowered.. And the service left something to be desired, I had read previous reviews regarding staff here and the way they sniff around obviously and undeservedly for tips. This was the case when we went for lunch one afternoon in the great room. Overpriced food, little to commend our burger ($16), soup (8) and 1 cappuccino (4). Portions are small, the soup was litterally a laddle full. $29 was our total and when the bill came we gave the waitress 40 and she left and never came back.
The assumption that we we're leaving her $11 tip insulted me. Sure, maybe we would have done- if she had been a superb attendant- she wasn't and even so, bring me back the change and let us decide. We approached her at the bar as we we're leaving and she appeared shocked and asked had we 'wanted change'? Tacky. We left her $5, but I'd have rather left nothing.
We availed of a promotion on this trip which stated we had the 2nd night's dinner free, worth $75. Nowhere did it say we had to have a meal there to avail of this free meal. Another couple checking in encountered this news as we did, and we're equally shocked. As mentioned the restaurant is very pricey and we had planned to dine else where our first night in Tofino. No matter, we said we'd have a little something that evening and settle in. Our waiter(s) we're super friendly and helpful (even advised us of a better place to eat- his words). We ordered a caesar salad- $11, and steak sandwich $16. Both were pitiful in size and flavour. I don't mind paying the price for good food, but this was outrageous! My salad was on a plate the size of my butter dish at home, it was a rather sad affair with some pathetic store bought bacon, burnt even, strewn across. Would pancetta have killed them. For 11 bucks? Steak sandwich, slightly larger plate, and 5 mouthfuls later, also disappointing. We took our waiter's advice the next afternoon and dined at the Black Rock Resort. Now, this felt like a real 'resort', Long Beach lodge is more like a big condo, where you feel lack of privacy and hear your neighbours. '5 star?' We both said that a good few times over our stay. The lunch of organic beef burgers at Black Rock was fantastic and 10 bucks each! I highly recommend if not staying there, definately dining there. And what a view!
We still had a wonderful time, despite my many gripes, the setting and parks, walks all around are breathtaking and we will definately be back to the area, just not this hotel.
Upon our checkout, we tried to decipher a very confusing 'express checkout' form that was slipped under our door, it left us to believe we owed far more than we did. Hundreds more!
In the end it was sorted out, but what a crappy way to leave. But it got worse again. We had payed our deposit using our debit card rather than a credit card. Of course we expected the full $600deposit returned upon leaving($200/night deposit is a tad much no?- paranoid or what?) The fellow at the desk typed away and said- 'that's back in your account now' and we were off. Once back home, I checked my balance and it wasn't there at all. I rang the hotel, where I was told that it would take a few days to be in my account again. Why? They took the money instantly, why not it be put back in the same fashion. I said, fair enough, and a few days later when it wasn't there I rang again, where I was then told my money was still with them and the woman blamed her staff (very professional) and said it was not possible to wire $ to my account and that a cheque would be issued. So, I was lied to twice and it now being 10 days since our check out, the cheque only arrived today after many more screw ups on their end. (they didn't have my correct address!) What a bad taste left in my mouth after a very mediocre stay and having paid a great deal of money.
We have stayed in far nicer hotels, pensiones even, for less money and better service.
How is this a 5star? Voted #3 resort in Canada?! What sort of expectations and standards do Canadians have?

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank letsgoandhavefun
GeneralManagerLBLR, General Manager at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2010

I'm sorry that your visit to Long Beach Lodge did not meet your expectations. I carefully take into account all customer feeback, either if it is posted here on Trip Advisor, direct to me, or via our own checkout email survey.

I encourage other readers to visit other reviews posted on trip advisor about their expereince here at Long Beach Lodge.

Best Regards
Perry Schmunk

Reviewed February 8, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights in February the lodges are fantastic and the two bedroom ones could easily accommodate 2 couples without feeling like you are falling over each other. The views from the great room bar are amazing especially during the stormy months. Our two children were welcomed by all the staff and there is plenty to see and do. We also had a Surfing lesson which was excellent.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family