“Make Sure You Have An Ocean View”

Long Beach Lodge Resort
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
Alberta
“Make Sure You Have An Ocean View”
Reviewed September 26, 2009

When you stay here, make sure you've got an ocean view so you can be cooled by the ocean breeze. We stayed in the main building facing the parking lot, and it gets stinking hot in the rooms. All the rooms not facing the ocean are provided with standing fans, and even that's not enough. The free continental breakfast was good, and the hotel's location provides for nice strolls along the beach. Next time we're staying at the Westin Tin Wiz, where everyone has ocean views.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bonzo1234

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
Vancouver
Reviewed September 8, 2009

This was my fourth visit to Long Beach Lodge, the other trips had been for work, this one was to celebrate my husbands birthday. I have previously stayed twice in a small forest view suite - no fireplace, fridge, balcony, and the room is close to the Great Room and kitchen so you get a bit of hallway noise but it was clean & fine for the price (off-season government rate). I have also stayed once on the ground floor in a beachfront room, this room was larger and had a great tub, but the crapets could have used a cleaning & the closet door was broken... The direct access to the beach was great but the view from the patio was not spectacular. Again, I considered it good value for the discounted price I was paying (an email special).

Well, I got another email special this July and decided to try to secure a date for my husband's birthday. It was the September long weekend but I lucked out & got the last beachfront room. I mentioned it was hubbys bday & if it was at all possible, I'd love to have a room on a higher floor. The reservation agent said it probably was unlikely but if something came up she'd see what she could do. We arrived expecting the beachfront but were directed to an ocean view room on the third floor; a small bottle of champage and bday card were on the desk. It was fantastic & definitely made our weekend! My husband and I spent almost the entire weekend, when we weren't out hiking the rain forest or walking the beach on our fantasic balcony, even when it was raining out! The view, the sound of the waves, the fact that the weather changes every 5 minutes... we had an amazing time.

We found the location & staff at Long Beach Lodge really good overall, the continental breakfast was a little disappointing (toast, cereal, overcooked/hard croissants, muffins, & cinnamon buns) but the coffee was good and the room was the kicker! It absolutely made our trip! I would highly recommend an oceanview room.

A final note, I read the review by someone who had stayed in a room below the great room & I would have to agree that that wouldn't be ideal... It looks like there are 3 rooms below & the soundproofing in the hotel generally is not that good so staying below the restaurant, expecially if you want to go to bed earlyish or sleep in might be a bit of a disappointment...

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 5, 2009

I stayed here 4 nights...the location and view is the best! Overall, the staff was really accommodating -- exceptional in some cases. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. I visited the Wickannish Inn to see what that was like, and I really liked the ambiance of Long Beach Lodge much better....

There are some very minor glitches I ran into, and some unexpected pleasantries, so read on...

I agree with other reviewers that the food is overpriced. It's of good quality but the servings are on the small side. The scene in the Great Room is quite sociable, and I met a lot of people from all over the world, so it was a great experience for a single woman. One night the kitchen had an off night and the food service was REALLY slow...some tables walked out. Strange because on the other nights I had great service. My waiter says that happens about 3-4 nights a year.

My room (304) was spotless, but the bedskirt was ripped (and tacked back together) and a set of venetian blinds needed restringing. Also, my fireplace switch didn't work but I could control it using some knobs on the bottom But the views are to just die for so these were not major drawbacks....

The ambiance is casual and relaxed yet still upscale...I felt SO comfortable the whole time.

My only serious complaint is that they set up tables right by the doorway in the Great Room, where the ocean breeze comes in. People at these tables ask that the door be closed due to the breeze, so the rest of room becomes quite warm. Seems an easy fix....just don't have those tables set up!

It's cool to see the surfers so active, and I even saw whales in the bay from the Great Room one afternoon.

There's not laundry service, BUT, there's a laundry onsite which I liked even better. The front desk provides complimentary laundry detergent.

Internet connectivity was spotty, even tho there's wireless throughout the hotel. I never got a strong signal in my room, so the front desk provided LAN cables, but those had loose connections and didn't work. They need to get new cables and listen to guest complaints and throw away cables that aren't working.

Another nice perk is that there's fridge in the room so you can store your own cool drinks etc.

While there's no air conditioning (it is located on the ocean, and not a necessity), I found pulling the drapes in the afternoon kept my room reasonably cool. It would be nice if they provided fans for those few hot days.

Lastly, the beds are really great and they have the best pillows! I even checked to see the label to be able to buy one when I returned home. It's not normally the sort of thing I would comment on, but they really were exceptional.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Vancouver
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I had heard that the Long Beach Lodge Resort was one of Tofino's best accommodations, so I booked for three nights at $600/night.

We arrived late in the evening and checked in. We were not happy at all with our suite.
1) The bed was BROKEN. That's right! The bed had a huge indentation on the left side in the middle of the bed. That was shocking.
2) The suite smelled like wet dog.
3) I went to the other bedroom to grab sheets so I could sleep on the couch since the bed was broken. The sheets had not been washed since the last guests had been there. Absolutely disgusting.
4) I called the front desk and told the fellow that we would be checking out early, he asked why, and so I told him we were not happy with the accommodations. His intonation changed and was quite rude.
5) In the morning, I opened the sliding door to the private patio. I noticed a black mold along the sill.

For $600/night we didn't even get a view of the ocean. That's the first and last time at this property.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
15 Thank canadian-blue
Tofino, BC
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Was extremely disappointing.
We found dog poo in our room on the last night of our stay on the floor by the window.
We called the front desk to let them know, and they never sent any one to take care of it despite saying they would send someone right away.
RIDICULOUS at $500 a night.

During the daytime, we were sitting in the hot tub with friends- around the corner of our cottage with no notice came a staff member to put in chemicals.
Was a total invasion of privacy.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
8 Thank maplebay
BC, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We have stayed at here a total of 6 times, each time staying 7-10 days.
The location of the lodge is great, Cox bay is wonderful. We rented here for three reasons: I love cox bay, the cottages are perfect for us and they allow dogs. We don't go back for service.
Each visit we rented a cottage, really its more like a town house. Two floors, two bed rooms, two bathrooms, full kitchen and living room. Small back patio (no grass) with a small hot tub. The back patio area has a fence running along the back and down each side, however the sides don't connect with the back fence so if the people next to you have a dog they are not watching you might end up with another guest. Near the cottages you will find a BBQ area which has 2 or 3 large bbq's.

The cleaning staff do a OK job, they just assume we have only used the master bedroom downstairs and never make the bed(s) upstairs or the bathroom upstairs. Alot of the times they do not restock the coffee/tea or the hand soap etc in the bathrooms.

This is why we will NOT be back:
When I was booking our 5th trip I made it very clear the reason for this trip was to met with the wedding planner and plan our wedding there. I made it very clear that we would not get there till 10pm or so and asked if we could met the planner the next day. When we arrived I was given folder of info on weddings there & told to call the front desk the next day to set a time to met with the planner. When I called the next day (Sat) I was told she was not in and would not be in until Monday. I asked to set a time to met with her on Monday but was told they did not know what time she could met. Monday came and she was busy with another couple, we never did get our meeting. We drove down the road to the Wickaninnish Inn to try to book a meeting with the wedding planner there, we were told if we could wait 10mins someone would met with us. The planner there spent close to two hours with us, walked us all over the place, took us into the different rooms ect.
When we informed the front desk back at long beach lodge of what was going on we simply received 2 free nights for our next stay. We went back to use the free nights and have not been back. When I made the booking for the 2 free nights I booked under the same name and credit card I used the other 5 times and told her why I was getting the free nights, I did not ask for a meeting this time cause I wanted to see if they would arrange it and make up for the missed apt last time. When we arrived I was again given the same folder I got on the last trip. I was never offered another meeting with the planner. We have not been back since.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MissChill
Burnaby
Reviewed August 21, 2009

We visited Long Beach Resort at the end of May. We had great weather, mostly sunny and no rain. We have lived in Vancouver most of our lives, but had never been to the west coast of Vancouver Island. This trip was to celebrate our wedding aniversary. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the lodge, there was a bottle of champagne on ice and a card to congratulate us!...it was refreshing and we sat on our deck facing the ocean, just mesmerized. The room was cozy, and very clean. There was a fireplace which we didn't use. Large bathroom, king size bed. We had dinner once at the resort and it was delicious, about what we expected to pay. We had no idea that the west coast was so beautiful!...The lodge is a terrific little place, very cozy, very relaxing. You can sit in the grand room, even if the weather is bad, and just look outside at the ocean, and the beach. Every day at 7 am when we woke up there were already several surfers on the water. We would go down to breakfast, which was included, freshly baked muffins and breads, coffee. The area is so incredibly pristine, we walked thru the rain forest and end up at a deserted beach. At the entrance to the Pacific Rim National park there is a tourist info center, here you pick up your parking pass. They will give you a map of all the trails and beaches, so just explore! we even saw a black bear. Tofino is a very small town, restaurants are a little expensive. We stopped in a few times at the Co-op grocery store, it was well stocked, expansive in selection, and even had a salad bar. So we bought our meals and headed back to the lodge to eat on our deck. Also in Tofino, you can book tours for kayaking and wale watching.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple