“A lovely three night stay.”

Long Beach Lodge Resort
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
Toronto Canada
“A lovely three night stay.”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The place is beautiful. We were in a penthouse (third floor!) and had a beautiful view of the beach. The food was good at lunch and dinner. The breakfast buffet (included) was pretty lame, but for $12 you could add eggs, bacon etc. Seemed a little cheeky to charge for a few eggs.....

It was an absolutely lovely place to stay and my only complaint is that I didn't really understand Tofino when I booked it. The lodge is about 7 km out of town, so unless you want to drive into town for a different meal, you're eating at their restaurant every day. And the food was good, but three days was too long for my husband and me and our 20 year old son.

Prior to that we stayed one night at the House of Himwitsa, and after that we stayed two nights at the Wickininnish Inn.

I'd recommend Long Beach Lodge for honeymooners and couples. I sat for hours out on the balcony and watched the waves roll in. So very relaxing and energizing at the same time. I will come back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for you review, I am glad that you enjoyed the penthouse. We are completely revamping our breakfast program for next year, as we believe the current buffet has had it's time and expectations have changed. We will look forward your next visit.

Tim Hackett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
Shoham
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at the long beach hotel. It was very good. We took the cottage (number 2). The cottage was beautiful, big and clean. The hot tub was a surprise. They had DVD to borrow and we had family movie watching at night. Also the surfing club was great. We took a private lesson that went very well. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your cottage, great for families. I hope you will return for some more surfing, now that you are experts!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Went there to celebrate my 50th bday in July and had a really great experience. The resort isn't like anywhere else we've ever been - the place just feels really remote, wild and beautiful. Room overlooking the beach and the ocean was great, and dinner at the lodge was also great. In particular, the women who were working at the front desk were really nice and one in particular, Jen, did an amazing job of giving us advice on what to do. Thanks to her, we did a 4-hour sea kayaking excursion which was perfect, plus she also told us every single hike worth doing, and we did them all, one by one. (Hiking around there wasn't great - there were only short hikes on platform trails, for the most part, though the hike we did as part of the kayaking trip was really cool.) Jen's advice totally made our trip, but all the women at the front desk were really great and helpful. All the staff at the resort, really. It was just a great place to stay. Recommend it 100%.

Room Tip: Worth the extra we paid for the room overlooking the ocean. Really beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review and comments, I am delighted you had such a wonderful visit to the Lodge and the West Coast. I am glad that Jen was so helpful, she is awesome and loves helping guests. We will look forward to your next visit.

Toronto
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We just finished an amazing two week vacation in British Columbia which ended with 5 wonderful nights in Tofino. In Tofino we returned to Long Beach Lodge after having first stayed here 9 years ago. My expectations were high having nostalgic memories from our last visit and having recommended the Lodge to several other families including two who stayed here earlier this summer. In most respects I really enjoyed this hotel and if I returned to Tofino again I would definitely return to this hotel. Our two bedroom cottage was spacious and nicely appointed. The Great Room is still the most beautiful room for dining in Tofino and many of the hotel staff were great to deal with. I have a few small points though that prevent me from saying that it was as stellar as I had remembered. The house keeping in the cottage was minimal and aside from tidying up the bathroom, making the beds and throwing out the garbage, it did not seem as if the room was ever cleaned, I.e. crumbs on the coffee table, sticky hand marks on the fridge. We had as stayed at the Four Seasons in Vancouver and Whistler where the housekeeping seemed to be much better. I wasn't sure if thay was to be expected since this was a cottage so I didn't mention it until we left at which time I was told that that sort of thing should have been done. I found the service at breakfast a bit aloof and sometimes downright unfriendly (demanding my breakfast voucher when joining my husband and children who were already seated). It was also a bit unfortunate that although we had breakfast and dined in the Great Room several times, we were never able to sit at a window seat and truly enjoy the view because the room is set up so that there were only tables for two at the windows. I also thought the breakfast, while very good, could use some variety with the fruit selection as it was the same fruit salad for five days in a row and should offer hot chocolate along with the other beverages without charging extra so that kids could also enjoy a hot drink in the morning. We had a great surfing lesson from Davin, had wonderful meals in the Great Room and enjoyed the setting and beach immensely so I would still happily return but hope that some of this minor items get improved upon in the meantime.

Room Tip: Would choose an ocean view room instead of a cottage
1 Thank SR40
lblr, Manager at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for your return visit to the resort, I am glad that your enjoyed your visit. I am sorry that you did not find the housekeeping quite as good as you expected, this is something I have told staff has to improve. While management checks all the rooms and cottages before guests arrive, it is sometimes difficult to check on stay overs, as we do not want to disturb guests. As things slow down a bit in September, I will be scheduling another training session for cleaning staff. The breakfast program is going to be revamped for next year, as we have had a number of complaints concerning the complimentary buffet this year.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This was our third trip to Tofino having stayed at the Wickaninnish Inn (4-5 years ago) and Pacific Sands (last summer) before. We are luxury travellers and like to stay in Four Seasons level properties. We also like to bring our dog with us when travelling close to home so that is a factor when picking a resort. Last time we stayed at Pacific Sands, while the location is the same amazing spot on Cox Bay and the room was nice, it was a "no frills" experience (no restaurant on site), while there we went to Long Beach Lodge (2 min walk away) for drinks and appy's and loved the Great Room, the view was amazing and the the staff delivered us lovely service so we decided to give it a try next time.

Our room was not cheap but a price point we are used to paying at luxury hotels. Upon arrival I pulled our car up at the entrance and sat there waiting to be greeted and helped with our luggage. No one came, so we parked the car, checked in and took our luggage to the room by ourself.

We booked a deluxe beach front pet friendly room. The view was very important to us and while the room was on the main floor it truly was at the front of the property with a lovely view, of course the views from the 2nd and 3rd floors would be better but with the dog this was great. The room was a standard hotel room, it really was all about location and view. The bathroom could be uncomfortable for some, while it is separated with blinds from the bedroom, there is no sound barrier. This was not an issue for us but please be sure you are comfortable doing all bathroom activities within earshot of your room partner.

Housekeeping was exceptional, very clean, even in our pet-friendly room. Top marks!

A buffet breakfast is included with your room and it looked amazing, lots of choice (I don't know why people complain!). I like a hot egg breakfast and was happy to pay a few dollars extra for bacon and eggs, etc. The hot breakfast was delicious, hot, fresh and nicely presented. At breakfast they let you seat yourself which sometimes means you sit for 5-10 minutes before someone notices you and offers coffee or asks for your hot breakfast order (waving arms required one morning), this did annoy us.

Last time at Pacific Sands, while there was no restaurant on site, they offered free shuttle to and from Tofino, where there are many amazing restaurants to explore (we are foodies). I expected this service would also be offered at the much more expensive Long Beach Lodge. Not so. As dinner usually involves wine I was not comfortable driving the 6km to and from town. The best the hotel could offer was bike rentals or a chance encounter with Tofino's ONE taxi (could be 45 min wait we were told), I guess this keeps guests onsite to dine. So, 3 dinners in the same Great Room restaurant, normally we would do one dinner on site. The first night we did it up fine dining style and the next couple of nights we decided to just do some appy's off the apres surf menu (would have preferred to have been exploring dining in Tofino).

This is a lovely property but for us the lack of transport to and from Tofino would probably prevent us from booking again. So many good restaurants to explore for dinner in Tofino (if that is your thing).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ryzee
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Loved our weekend away at long beach lodge. The cottages are perfect for families and the location on cox bay is spectacular. The private hot tub was a big bonus. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Only critiques are:
- cleanliness of dishes provided at continential breakfast was hit and miss
- pet-free family was booked in a pet friendly and smelly cottage.( i didn't want my 1 yr old crawling around the floor)
-free wifi was non-existent in most places
Our kids loved exploring the beach and at low tide small pools by the rocks had sea anenomes, starfish, sunfish and other sea creatures.

• Stayed August 2013
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the resort, thank you comments concerning the staff . Wifi is poor in Tofino, the good news is that Telus has committed to providing service to the area.

Tim
BC
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the resort the cottage was perfect. The staff was warm and welcoming. The new hot tub from when I was there last was a bonus after the fog rolled in on the beach. Chance at the surf club was one of a kind helping my nephews with all of his surfing needs. We will be back for years to come. Thanks Samantha and Tim it gets better everytime!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for your great review, I am delighted you had a wonderful visit. I also think our staff are the best! We are planning an exciting new feature for next year, which we will be excited to announce, once we have approval.