“Perfect value/ perfect location”
Review of Dolphin Motel

Dolphin Motel
Ranked #38 of 41 Tofino B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

This motel is perfect for the unassuming traveller that wants to be close to the spectacular beaches of the west coast without the price and formality of a big hotel.
My daughter treated me to a Tofino getaway for Mother's Day and the motel was a good choice for us. We were happy our dog could be with us. The proprietor was delightful and we immediately knew this motel was a good choice for us.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Jody52

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Jody52
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed for two nights the room was very clean ,fridge tv, ect and very good value for Tofina. The lady who runs it was very helpful and did everything she could to make our stay enjoyable. The room was cleaned and fresh towels provided.There is a place a short walk away (towards town ) for early morning coffee and internet plus a grocery store and what I was told was an excellent place for food (Wildlife ? ) All in all could not fault Dolphin and as a BUDGET place to stay in Tofino I doubt you would beat it $70 a night.It is by a main road so ear plugs are advised

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Well there's nothing too special about the Dolphin, but if you want a place with a bed and a kitchen and you plan on spending most of your time at the beach, the Dolphin could be a good fit, but if you're looking for anything romantic, or a place you'd like to spend time indoors, this might not be the right spot for you. The whole place could really use an update, especially for the price. Bedding is super old and ugly, mismatched and stained, bring your own stuff if you want sleep comfortably. This place could actually be decent if they bothered to touch things up and buy some new bedding (it was pretty gross). The location is excellent, but I think I'd rather stay a bit further away and avoid this place again in the future. The owner was pretty nice, but she also came bursting into our room once or twice uninvited, which I didn't like. The front desk office smells so strongly of dead fish I would pre-pay over the internet to avoid having to go in there. I did like the kitchen and the table, we were able to easily cook our own food and were able to find the right dishes and cutlery to do so, even if it was a bit ghetto. Overall, it just is what it is and it's definitely in the "motel" category. Next time we'll spend a bit more and go somewhere else though to make the trip a bit more special.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank lkelsey
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed five nights for a solo R & R / surf and yoga trip. Veronica the owner is exceptionally warm and welcoming, a fantastic host and just a great person!

The reviews about miss matched towels and bed linens aren't incorrect, but this is one of the cleanest hotels I've stayed in. While you may have a floral pattern, or even hockey logo'd linens you can be sure they are immaculately clean and smell good. It can't be easy to keep up an older motel, but this couple does a great job!

My room had brand new hardwood flooring, was recently painted and had tasteful artwork. For such an amazing price point it's hard to ask too much, but you will still find large, flat screen televisions, an oversized mini fridge, coffee & tea with a kettle, etc... One of my favorite things about the rooms, price and people aside, is the independent heaters in the bathroom. This means I can crank the heat and dry out my wetsuit overnight, conveniently hanging from the hook in the bathtub! In the winter this is close to heaven.

The location is very convenient, within walking distance to the Chesterman beach and the Coastal Bliss Yoga Studio, which is right around the corner in a complex with a great little coffee shop (The Tofitian), Beaches Grocery, a surf shop (Live to Surf) and Chocolate Tofino. On a side note try the lavender honey ice cream at the chocolate shop; best in the world :)

Long story short, stay here! Save a few bucks and go out for a nice dinner instead. You will be warmly greeted, your room will be clean and you ill be in a great location.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank james-a-hague
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed there 5 nights, and enjoyed ourselves. There were NO BED BUGS, I'm thinking someone made that up. If you don't mind towels and dishes that don't match, the location of the motel is very convenient, only about 5 min. walk to either Chesterman or McKenzie beaches. The price is reasonable, the owner is friendly and hospitable, the place (and blankets, sheets, quilts) is older, but if you don't mind that it's a good value. We would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maria H
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My girlfriend and I arrived quite late so the lady gave us a discounted room because we didn't stay the day. She probably gave us the room cheap because the following morning we were covered by bed bug bites which we though were mosquito bites at that time. She didn't have the common courtesy to tell us about this problem so now we brought back bed bugs and are cleaning every last bit of the house and are praying we don't have to call someone in to get rid of them. Stay away from the motel the owners may come across and nice and respectful but will screw you over to make a few bucks. Also the interior looked terrible, ridiculous bed spreads that were stained, you didn't even want to take a shower there because the bathroom was quite dirty. If you choose to stay there bring your own sheets and check the mattress before you go to bed.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 11 or this place all together