“Welcome in/to Tofino!”

Tofino Travellers Guesthouse
Ranked #5 of 41 Tofino B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed twice during July, over in Tofino for work...I am not a "typical" hotel person. This is the kind of place you want to stay if you are a traveller; lots of interesting folks from around the world to chat with, a relaxed environment, casual and comfortable. Nick is an amazing host..wise, attentive and warm...and his staff are just as accommodating. Beds are comfortable. Breakfast was terrific, and one evening, we BBQ'd our dinner on the deck (the cedar tables are pretty awesome. BTW). If you want to feel "at home" on the West Coast, then check this place out. Seriously.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We spent two nights at the Guesthouse in a 6 bed dorm (which is something we wouldn't normally do). It was very comfortable and immaculately clean (almost unheard of for a backpackers).
Nick was a really friendly guy and made us feel comfortable and welcome. He bought a whole tuna and served MASSIVE tuna steaks one night ($7 each) DELICIOUS.
The waffles were also enormous, cooked fresh as you arrived at the breakfast table, they were some kind of wholemeal mix which made them all the more appealing.

We really liked the fact that there were a couple of families staying at the same time. Certainly different to the usual backpacker hostel experience.

Also as a side note for same sex couples/families - this is certainly a friendly place to stay.

The only thing I could mention is the size of the showers. They were extremely clean and there was never a line up - but if you're a woman wanting to shave her legs I would suggest waxing before you arrive :)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The guesthouse is great. We are a family of four (two girls ages 4 and 7) and had a great stay at Nick's in early july. He made us feel comfortable straight away and we got along fine with the other guests too. It really felt like a home away from home. Not just because of the excellent lessons in crab cooking (and eating) and the waffles (yum!), but mostly because of Nick's generous and kind nature, not to forget the jokes and words of wisdom. The kids were having great fun around the house, the public playground that was just a short walk away, not to forget the beaches of the Pacific Rim Park.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I wandered into Tofino basically without a clue as to what to expect. I came there becuase I knew it was one of the few places where I could find Surf.
As I surf in Ireland I wanted to experience somesurfing in Canada.
Anyway I arrived late in the evening to-fino :-) and basically walked around looking for accomadation. The first hostel I tried was equal in price to this one and would have been bigger etc. When I arrived at this one the guy at the door told me id love it. I told him I may be back and left for a walk to think on my options.
I decided to take his word for it and stayed the night.
What I didnt expect was I ended up staying for ten nights instead of two.
This was because I found it a fantastic "home from home" relaxing commuinal place to get to know Tofino from.
The hostel was very clean and everybody there seemed to become like a family and very quickly too. It had all the amenities I expected and more.
Its location overlooks lone cone mountain and the estuary and the sunsets right in front of the decking area where a large table of solid wood and log seats can be found. There is also bbq facilities here too.
I found the beds and washrooms comfortable and clean and the kitchen the same.
Over all I really liked this Hostel , it felt different to the many ive stayed where there was a warm welcome and the magic of Tofino that it has in abundance by the way seems to have been captured in this hostel.
Youll have to go there an see for yourself.
A truly memorable time :-)
Shane O

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Unfortunately, within 2 hours of arrival I felt very uncomfortable as the owner was asking very personal questions & it felt like he was flirting with me. I found this unsettling (extremely creepy) & I would strongly recommend solo, female travellers to consider staying elsewhere.

It was a shame because the location of this guesthouse is good, views of the water are spectacular, kitchen is well equipped & wifi works well (but unavailable at night). The waffles for breakfast are a nice too.

I felt there was little privacy here. Partly due to my initial experience, but also the beds are connected in the room & so it felt like I was sharing a bed with 2 others. All areas are communal, there are no lockers (no where to secure valuables) & no locks on doors. There is one bathroom sink available for use by up to 14 people.The owner is always around & seemed to be a control freak.

The owner is aiming for a family atmosphere which is a lovely idea, but for me, I just felt like I was back on school camp again *groan*

• Stayed: July 2013
8  Thank WAcatch
nickinvictoria, Owner at Tofino Travellers Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear WAcatch,

I am very sorry that you felt uncomfortable in the guesthouse. We pride ourselves on providing a communal, welcoming respite for travellers, be they travelling alone or with friends/family.

I can also understand your anger at being asked to leave. This was not a request that we made lightly - it is a first for us - and I believed it was in your best interest. I hope that was clear by our actions: we refunded the nights you did not stay and arranged travel to another location.

In response to your other comments:

* As per the room descriptions, only double rooms are private. When we are not full, as when you stayed, guests can choose where they sleep

* By being on site, we look after guest's belongings and make sure the environment is safe for all. We also offer locked storage if guests prefer

* Unless guests are staying in rooms with private facilities, bathrooms are shared and our experience to date is that we rarely have queues

Finally, as many guests attest to, our morning waffles are made with love.

At Tofino Travellers Guesthouse we want to make each guest feel at home and enjoy their stay with us. I'm sorry that didn't happen for you.

Wishing you the best,
Tofino Travellers Guesthouse

Reviewed July 6, 2013

This is probably the best value in Tofino. It's quite basic, but although it needs a little TLC it's clean, very friendly, and the only hostel I know that provides breakfast. The guests include young travellers, families, seniors on a budget. The location is great and the beds really comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Tofino Travellers Guesthouse is a perfect place to stay. I stayed here for three nights with two friends and we had an amazing time. The place is very community oriented with wonderful breakfasts and nice people. Nick, the host, knows everyone by name and he takes good care of his guests. This is the perfect place to stay whether you're travelling alone or with friends. I'm actually returning next week with my boyfriend!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends