“Lacking in charm”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chevy Chase MD
“Lacking in charm”
Reviewed August 5, 2007

I just returned from The Wick and while the scenery is magnificent, I found the resort to be very sterile and our room at the Point was very ordinary with limited views. The Ancient Cedars Spa was wonderful. The Point Restaurant was good but not as good as it should have been. We found dinner at the Shelter in Tofino fabulous. Next time I would stay at Long Beach Resort which seemed much warmer and cozier, with similar beach views.

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank cecerecr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed August 3, 2007

The Wickaninnish offers everything you would expect for a spectacular Vancouver Island experience:
- A spectacular location overlooking 3 km of Pacific beach, with the restaurant sitting directly on the cliff and offering sights of bald eagles hunting dungeness crabs while you are enjoying great sea food.
- An architecture that from the outside is rather rustic and plain and blends in with the environment, yet at the same time has very nice and cozy rooms. (Comfortable beds, thick carpets, fire place, nice bath tubs etc.)

Many outdoor opportunities such as hiking trails, kayak tours, boat trips and the nice village of Tofino are right around the corner.

If possible try the crab bake on the beach which they do two to three times a week.

Service was o.k. but not quite as professional as you would expect.

But all in all a place to be highly recommended if you stay on the West Coast.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LehGo
seattle,wa
Reviewed August 2, 2007

We were excited to spend our nniversary at this seemingly luxurious hotel (if one trusts their website, our mistake). We were so disappointed by the room which is akin to any motel and by the pretentious staff who felt it necessary to show up 'the TV', 'the fireplace', 'the balcony' and very basic bathtub. This hotel is sadly lacking in any amenities, charm or decently appointed and furnished rooms.

Additionally, my wife got food poisoning from The Pointe Restaurant and was very ill. This complaint was met with the inexperienced staffs' standard, 'do you want some water?'

I would recommend Stephanie's Inn in Cannon Beach which is by far superior with a spectacular view, antique furnished rooms and wonderful staff.

Stayed July 2007
21 Thank hazlet
California
Reviewed July 26, 2007

I was really looking forward to visiting the Wick. Had heard wonderful things, and the picture on the website was terrific. I had stayed at the Kingfisher on the east side of the island, and was eager to see the west side.

My first two hours were tremendous. My room in the Pointe building was private and beautiful. Perfect for an all-alone, relaxing getaway. Then I discovered that all was not perfect.

Be careful when you visit. I learned that in July and August, there are many, MANY children. Even during a very nice and expensive dinner, I had to listen to whiny children around me. (The restaurant is truly special, by the way.) Breakfast and lunch were even worse in terms of active children.

And be careful about your accommodations. Because of availability, I had to move after one night to the beach building. I was assured (even after specific questions after I read reviews here) that the building is just as quiet, private and pretty as the Pointe. Wrong, wrong, wrong. I was on the second floor, and felt very exposed as I sat on my supposedly private balcony. Everyone walking to and from the beach could see me. The service was even worse in the beach building. The guys at the door were very friendly and helpful, but the front desk people were almost dismissive, and were clearly too inexperienced for this expensive property.

Bottom line - don't come in the summer if you want a quiet getaway. And know that despite the hefty price, the service will be inconsistent, and include very inexperienced staff that don't understand how to make a traveler feel welcome.

• Liked — View from Pointe building
  • Disliked — Inexperienced staff with attitude
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12 Thank LuLuCalifornia
Bermuda
Reviewed July 16, 2007

After reading some of these recent less-than-extremely-positive reviews, I felt the urge to post about our June stay. My husband and I loved our experience at this hotel! I recently traveled to Vancouver for a conference. My husband and I made a weekend out of a trip to Vancouver Island. We had heard of this hotel through numerous sources - friends, magazines, this site - and really wanted to check it out. We felt that it lived up to the hype. We had a wonderful 3-night stay. The location of the hotel on the beach is spectacular. We stayed at the (somewhat cheaper) "Beach" building on the second floor. While there were trees in the view, the setting was still incredibly gorgeous. The detail in the hotel room - heated bath tiles, Aveda toiletries, DVD's, binoculars, rain slickers, candles, etc. was impressive. The public areas (building, art work, etc.) are really nice as well. We felt that the restaurant was elegant (what you would expect for this league of hotel), but not overly formal. We also had great dinners at the Rain Forest Cafe and the Shelter restaurants in Tofino. The sea kayak trip to Meares Island recommended by the hotel was also a very fun way to spend a day.

1 Thank BermudaTraveler1
Pfalz
Reviewed July 9, 2007

Beautiful room!
Breathtaking location: the pacific and the beach are really beautiful.
Fantastic restaurant: We never had better food and never had such a great view while eating.
Obliging service. Cedar spa seems fantastic, unfortunately we couldn't try.

• Liked — Rooms, restaurant, location, service
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank xrudyx
Cheshire, UK
Reviewed July 9, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Wick at the beginning of June 07. The location was fabulous and everything we had hoped for. The hotel is beautifully designed and furnished, and our room was comfortable with a great bathroom and, of course, wonderful views of the beach and the ocean. As soon as we arrived we saw a river otter eating its supper on the rocks just below our room, which made our day!

What we were not impressed with was the atmosphere or character of the place - the staff were friendly, but so formal that it created quite a soulless feel. Eating breakfast and dinner in the Pointe restaurant were very formal affairs, at odds with the style and location of the inn.

We also dined at the Schooner Inn in Tofino, which was pretty good, and stayed for another two nights at Meares Retreat on Duffin Cove, just outside Tofino, where Charlie made us very welcome.

• Liked — the views
  • Disliked — the formality
1 Thank TetleyC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tofino
Middle Beach Lodge
#7 of 16 in Tofino
Magnolia Hotel And Spa
#2 of 49 in Victoria
Fairfield
Abigail's Hotel
Abigail's Hotel
#1 of 49 in Victoria

Been to Wickaninnish Inn and The Pointe Restaurant? Share your experiences!