Reserving a place to stay far away from home is always a gamble. However, I realized that this resort was special even before we arrived. A day earlier, our waiter at a nice Vancouver restaurant became excited when we told him that we were heading for the Pacific Sands. He told us of his many surfing and storm watching trips to Tofino. He always stayed at this resort. He was right; this place was superb.
The online reservation system in the Pacific Sands web site is a bit confusing. I called and e-mailed the resort a few times before booking our stay. I always received prompt replies. The staff was eager to help. Finally, I reserved an ocean view studio. There was even a special going on!
We arrived in Tofino on Orca Air. The resort is less than 10 minutes drive from the airport. There is an abandoned Pacific Beach Hotel a few miles before you reach the Pacific Sands. Don't get confused as we did and keep driving. You will see the sign for the Pacific Sands in a few miles on the left-hand side. The check-in is in the separate building. It is the first house on your right once you enter the resort; you can miss it.
Our check in was quick and flawless. The front desk staff also helped us to select a few excursions. They do have a few companies they prefer to deal with (Jamie's Whaling Station). However, if asked they will contact any of the Tofino outfitters. They also sell various passes to the Pacific Rim National Park.
Our studio was located in a three-story lodge. We stayed on the second-floor. Parked was right in front of the building. Accommodations were superb. The living area was spacious with a large comfortable bed facing the deck. There was also a couch, a dining table, and a TV with the DVD player. Our studio had a small kitchen with all the major utensils and kitchenware for four. The bathroom was basic, but with plenty of towels. There was a lot of closet space. The room also had a gas fireplace. It quickly heated the room and were rarely used it. The best part of the room was of course the ocean-facing deck. The beach was only a few steps away. Our view was spectacular. Very conveniently, a laundry room was located on the first flow of the building. You could buy laundry detergent in the gift shop.
The resort has no restaurant. Not to worry! There are many excellent restaurants in Tofino nearby. Alternatively, you can buy fresh seafood, a bottle of wine, and eat in. There are few grills right next to the beach that you can also use. The staff usually steers you to the higher end establishments. Ask the locals. They're plenty of dives with cheaper food.
We stayed at the Pacific Sands for just three days. We could have spent at month there. I would love to go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pacific Sands Beach Resort is located on 41 pristine acres of property and 2500 feet of ocean front on Cox Bay. Adjacent to the Pacific Rim National Park all suites and Luxury Beach Houses offer spectacular ocean or beach front views, mesmerizing sunsets and breathtaking storm watching. A walk to Pettinger Point is a must. Enjoy unrivaled culinary splendors at one of Tofino's many restaurants. Adventure tours of the Clayoquot Sound, beach combing and surfing are the most popular activities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Evoline ltd so you can book your Pacific Sands Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pacific Sands Beach Hotel Tofino
- Pacific Sands Beach Tofino