All reviews ocean breeze suite lookout suite garden cottage chesterman beach todd lynda grinder perfect hosts fully equipped kitchen rubber boots crashing waves vancouver island fire pit we've stayed spent nights coffee maker storm watching tofino area
Reviewed October 9, 2011

...this is the place you want to choose.

I have been to Tofino before but had not spent a night there until I wanted to treat my partner to the 'West Coast' experience. As she had never seen the Ocean before, I knew I would need the perfect place to stay and I found it in the Chesterman Beach B&B. At the time of booking, I didn't know this is the ONLY B&B ON THE BEACH in Tofino but the pictures sold me and we were not at all disappointed. The second we stepped through the breezeway and saw the view, we both said, "Oh, we are definitely coming back here again!"

I booked with Todd and we were met by Lynda who gave us the 'tour' of our new found piece of heaven. With a relaxed tone and friendly smile, Lynda showed us all the amenities, including wet weather gear(just in case, they have thought of everything) and asked what time we would like breakfast. We thought a late service would be best for us and she was only too happy to accommodate this as it meant she got to 'sleep in, too'. Breakfast is optional so I guess we were the only ones needing it that day. This B&B is a little different in that the three available rooms are separate from each other and pretty well 'self contained'. There is no 'common area' in the house so you really get the feeling of a private experience.

We spent a couple of hours wandering the beach exploring and then went into town for dinner at the recommended 'Sobo' restaurant. Dinner was delicious and desert was incredible (Flourless Chocolate Bomb!)

Since we only had basically one day to take everything in, we rose early and got some great morning mist photos. When we returned from our morning explorations, our breakfast was ready precisely at 10am as we had requested. The hot food was hot, and stayed that way, and the fruit cups and juice were chilled to perfection. For a 'simple eggs, spuds and sausage' breakfast, the presentation was exquisite and the food delicious; better than anything I have eaten anywhere.

We highly recommend this spot if you are looking for a little piece of heaven on earth.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 'Lookout' room and I would have to say it has the best view of the three rooms available.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We stayed 3 nights in the Garden Cottage and loved every minute of it. The cottage has it's own private yard and deck. It is also behind the main house that sits on the beach which worked well for us because it allowed us to be very close to the beach but to be buffered from the noise of the surf, which can make it hard for my wife and I to sleep. So being in the cottage is nice if you like a quiet private setting. It is rustic and not large, but very comfortable and inviting. There are lots of nice appointments like a sitting area with couch and easy chair, gas fireplace, stereo system and Wifi. There is a full kitchen which had everything we needed. Most places with kitchens have limited accessories and cooking utensils, but not here. We had every available appliance and cooking accessory we needed to make full meals easily. The owners clearly were trying to go above and beyond to supply their guests. This was also reflected in their attentiveness. We never had a question or a need that was not addressed quickly and with enthusiasm. Todd spent a lot of time giving us tips on things to see, places to eat, etc. and they all turned out to be spot on. Both Todd and Lynda are gracious hosts and we'd love to return someday for another visit.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2011

My wife and I returned this September to Todd and Linda's beautiful BnB on Chesterman Beach. It was recommended to us years ago and we have returned 4 times, twice staying in the little cottage and twice with my visiting parents from Ontario in the 2 room suite. Every time, it is an impeccable experience. Todd and Linda and their dog Murphy always greet us with warm enthusiasm. As a photographer, Todd's knowledge of the area is an absolute must, as he directed us recently to the exact spot to observe bears in the wild (great pictures as proof!). His easy manner creates a very comfortable environment. The suite has been upgraded and finished with all the finest details. Even on the wildest, rainiest days, it is a joy to stay inside with a book by the fire, listening to the raging wind and surf outside. The view is unbelievable from the glass sun room, framed by low bush and overhanging evergreens. Todd supplies all the firewood for the beach side fire, which is occasionally washed away by the tide, where you can sit with a drink and family and spend the whole day with a book or simply people watch. The Inn is close to Tofino and Long Beach and all the little gems along the way for easy and quick getaways. I say quick, because you really do not want to be away for long from this property. The drive from Nanaimo along Highway 4 is a wonderful rollercoaster ride through mountain and forest, making Chesterman Beach BnB all that more luxurious and welcoming when you arrive.

I wouldn't even consider going anywhere else. Thanks Todd, Linda and Murphy.

Room Tip: If it is romance you need, then the Look Out is for you. Limited cooking facilities though. For a cozy small family experience, the cottage is ideal with a private sitting and playing yard, but you don't have a direct view of the beach. However, the beach is only steps away. For four adults and a couple kids, the suite is beautiful! It has everything you will need for any type of weather or event. All new appliances and absolutely comfortable beds. Beach views and steps to the beach. Keep the windows open at night and let the surf lull you to sleep.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Stayed four nights : my wife and I with our two young boys and their grandparents. The secluded B&B on this marvelous beach was a memorable experience. The apartment was marvelous : superbly decorated, extremely well furnished, comfortable, and private. All the amenities were brand new. The beds were extremely comfy. Out the door, you're right on Chesterman Beach, a secluded sandy strip with great views. As host walk brought us to small rocky patches to discover all kinds of sea life from starfish to anemones to bald eagles. The owners were extremely nice to us, leaving us sand dollars to bring home and making sure we had everything we needed. I almost asked how much they'd want to sell the place...July 2010

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 22, 2011

We stayed at Chesterman Beach B&B for three nights this September in the Lookout Suite.

It's easy to highly recommend Todd & Lynda's B&B- they have everything figured out. I think it's the personal service- from people who actually care that really makes a place special- and this B&B has that in spades.

A private retreat awaits you- rustic elegance. You won't be bothered unless you need something. Breakfasts are just lovely- delicious and balanced. Yummy coffee available in the room.

The soak in the Japanese tub is very warming, though we did miss having a shower. Not an issue overall.

The location is ideal. Chesterman is a perfect walking beach - and if you feel like relaxing in the Lookout suite- you can still take in the sound of the waves and the views of the beach. Walk to the Pointe for dinner or lunch. Ask to "borrow" their beautiful dog- she loves to chase the ball on the beach- just bring your throwing arm because she has unlimited energy :)

Todd went above and beyond to help us out a couple of times- very gracious- thanks Todd!

Our favourite experience: starting a bonfire on the beach right in front of the property (there is a pit and they have wood- just ask), sipping wine with the waves and reflection of the moon hitting the water- INCREDIBLE!

Room Tip: Lookout Suite for max privacy
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple