“A must for visiters to Tofino”
Review of Tla Ook Cultural Adventures - CLOSED

Tla Ook Cultural Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore the ancient forests and paddle traditional dug out ocean going canoes with our local First Nations guides. Learn about Nuu-chah-nulth history, cultural traditions and legends in beautiful Clayoquot Sound.
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A must for visiters to Tofino”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I had a fantastic canoe trip in August this year with Tla Ook Cultural Adventures.
Tsinka was a excellent guide. After giving us all the necessary instructions on the cedar canoe we would be paddling, she kept us entertained with First Nation story telling and songs. She also informed us of her First Nation Culture and history of the area,while paddling past magnificent scenery. The canoe was made by Tsinka's father and other members of her family. It was very stable and safe.
After paddling past various Islands in Clayoqout Sound,we arrived at Meares Island. Our walk through the ancient forest was truly spectacular. Tsinka had a sound knowledge of the trees,plants and fauna and was very informative of her First Nation Culture regarding the forest.
Thanks to all at Tla Ook,
Andrew and Sylvia UK

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Andrew C

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Uniquely fun and interesting!”
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Our guide had a uniquely personal connection with this area, that has been inhabited by her people for thousands of years, and did a fantastic job of sharing it with us. We paddled the cedar canoe which had been made by her relatives. It was study, responsive, fast, and to me surprisingly sea worthy! We floated amongst the lovely islands, drifting on sometimes powerful currents as our guide told us about the history and cultural practices of her people. We landed at Meares Island for a walk through one of the only protected areas of big trees on Vancouver Island and learned a lot about the forest and the eecological dependencies of its inhabitants.

The boardwalk is kind of rickety, has some steps, and can be slippry, so this trip would be best for anyone that feels comfortable walking on uneven ground with no handrails

2 Thank golightly123
Nürnberg
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply the best”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We enjoyed the canoe-tour to Meares Island with Tsimka in June 2012.
It was teh best we had done in the very very west of BC.
kamau.37

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Karl M
Naples, Florida
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“once in a lifetime experience”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We did the Meares Island paddle w/ Tsimka 10 days ago. She is a very special person. Having spent the time w/ her, I don't think a similar experience of visiting Meares Island or kayaking/paddling would have been the same. Our day was very overcast, bordering on rain, which just made the whole journey feel so mystical & timeless. She has a reverence for her culture & the surrounding area that communicates strongly to her guests. Meares Island is a magical place; having done some other excursions & hikes, I didn't think there would be much new to see, but there was - especially w/ Tsimka to tell us about native customs & to point out things easily overlooked. Paddling in the heavy dugout canoe her father made, through quiet waters filled w/ seaweed & starfish, felt like a privilege. I find myself thinking back on those hours of tranquility & peace, knowing I will "revisit" often.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Templetons911
dubhghlaswright, Owner at Tla Ook Cultural Adventures, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank-you very much for the great review, we'll make sure Tsimka sees it! It's great to hear that our guests are getting the very best experience possible here in Clayoquot Sound. When we started doing canoe tours 10 years ago it was our hope that we could educate and interest our guests with aspects of local First Nations culture that they might otherwise not get to experience. Thank-you for taking the time to let us know we're doing a great job!
Toronto, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Fantastic cultural experience”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

On July 18th my wife and I did a tour with Tsimka and had a fantastic half day trip. Paddling by a traditional dugout canoe just felt right as it made me almost feel like I had travelled back in time. The canoe was large comfortable and steady and we saw whales, bald eagles and dozens of starfish on our way to Meares Island. Tsimka was a wonderful host as she answered and discussed topics ranging from the natural history of the land to native beliefs past and present. She also pointed out countless little things on the tour that we definitely would not have noticed. Another bonus was that even though we left at 10 am, we reached the island way before any of the other kayak or boat tours. I was so impressed with the tour that I decided to write my fist ever review on tripadvisor. If you get a chance, I would not miss this tour.

Visited July 2012