“Wow! What a place...awesome people!”

MacKenzie Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Tofino
Burnaby BC
“Wow! What a place...awesome people!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2007

We stayed here on a last minute notice. Called two days before and the person I spoke to, "Debbie" was incredibly helpful and got my family the accommodations we needed for Easter weekend. There must have been a huge change over in management from when others on here have stayed, Fraser and Debbie (the new managers, I'm told) were awesome. They helped us with the whale watching tours as well as getting us set up for surfing instructions and rentals. They even went as far as finding us some great dining the first night and some great fresh crab the next!. I can't say enough about what a great time we had there. When we accidently locked ourselves out of our cabin, The manager Fraser, came to our rescue, even at 6am in the morning...what a great guy.
I highly reccommend this as a vacation destination and we will be back. The kids LOVED the pool and the hot tub was perfect..Thank You!!

• Liked — iThe people ( staff) were incredible
  • Disliked — it rained...but that is Tofino!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Victoria B.c
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2007

It was not until after we returned from our stay at Mackenzie Beach Resort that I read some of the negative Trip Advisor reviews. It was hard to believe we had stayed at the same resort!
We were welcomed warmly and our waterview room was ready for us despite our early arrival. Every effort was made to make our stay enjoyable from advice as to where to eat , to interesting hikes in the area. As often happens in Tofino, it rained throughout our stay and we both enjoyed the warm pool and hot tub after hours of wet walking. The proximity of the beach made a quick walk by the ocean entirely feasible despite inclement weather . One can even walk into Tofino to enjoy the restaurants and stores. Had the weather been better we would have taken a whale watching or Hot Springs Cove trip - but there was still plenty to do and it was always nice to come back to our cozy room to relax. Everything necessary for our stay had been provided. All in all , this was a memorable stay and I would not hesitate to recommend the resort to anyone.

• Liked — Proximity to beach and an indoor pool
  • Disliked — Condensation tended to form on windows
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 635Victoria
Victoria, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2007

Stayed at a beachfront cabin in early March and thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

The cottage was clean and extremely well outfitted and an added bonus was all the split dry firewood that we cared to burn in the spacious fireplace.

The beach is sandy and at this time of year almost deserted - great for storm watching.

Being able to bring our dog was the icing on the cake.

I believe that the management must have changed recently as the earlier reviews had comments about this being a problem. Not so with our stay. All staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

I'd go back.

• Liked — The well appointed cottage
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Holy_smokes
Victoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2007

We stayed in Cabin #2 for three nights in mid-March with our two dogs.

This two-bedroom cabin had large windows looking out onto the beautiful 1.5 km long beach. The woodstove made the living area very cosy and inviting.

The kitchen was fully outfitted and included a fancy toaster, coffee grinder, coffee maker, etc. We made all of our meals in the cabin and even baked a couple of cakes.

The cabin has tile flooring which made cleanup a breeze (very convenient for sweeping up after our pets.

We particularly enjoyed the proximity to the beach (about 10 m from our door), and enjoyed running back and forth along the beach for our morning workout.

The owner was very friendly and welcoming. We enjoyed our visit very much and being able to have our dogs along also made it much more special for us.

We will definitely return in future.

• Liked — Beachfront proximity
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank SBGVictoria
Vancouver Island, BC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2006

The management at this resort is unbelievable - and not in a good way! I've read the reviews on this site regarding the customer service - and I can say without a doubt that they are so true! I've never experienced such rude and hostile behaviour in all of my life! I was shocked!

My family and I had stayed in cabin #1 about 5 years ago - we did enjoy ourselves during this visit - the location is great & because of this I decided to revisit this resort & book a weekend in October for my family and 2 other couples. I booked on a Saturday and 48 hours later I had to call and cancel our booking - at that time I was told by Rick the manager that the policy is to keep $40. I was surprised as my understanding was that would be charged within a 2 week period. I explained to Rick that I must have misunderstood him - and would not be happy to be charged a $40 fee - on a booking that is 2.5 months away. I can just say at this point - that I could "feel" Rick get unpleasant over the phone. Not helpful or understanding......hostile.

I decided to call back later on that evening and ask him if there was some flexibility with the $40 fee - as we might even rebook down the line!! This conversation turned into a heated exchange! I pointed out to him that I had read many negatives reviews on Trip Advisor about poor customer service - he informed me that this site is for "people like me who like to complain".............his other comment ....."I don't need to listen to you lady".........and when I asked him when I would be getting my credit of $400 (less the $40) back on my credit card... "when he got around to it". He basically hung up on me.

When I told my husband - he contacted Rick - and received the same treatment. My husband was shocked!! Rick was condescending, sarcastic, unhappy & disinterested. My husband asked and finally recieved the owners (Dorothy) phone number which he promptly contacted. Dorothy did agree to charging only a $20 fee, agreed that there must have been a misunderstanding & said she would contact Rick to ask him to promply apply our credit back to our charge card.

I would push anyone else that experiences this horrible man to promply contact the owner and express your concerns! At some point, you would think that she would get the message and get Rick out of there! I understand the other manager Ryan is just as awful!

This could be a very nice resort with a little work and BETTER MANAGEMENT!!!

On a side note I contacted the Wickinnish, Long Beach Lodge, Pacific Sands - and they all have a $20 cancellation policy. Not $40!!

We have stayed at all of the above places - and Break Beach Lodge B&B - all FABULOUS!!! So contrary to what Rick has to say - I don't like to just complain!!

3 Thank VanIsle12

Travelers are raving about these Tofino hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2006

My husband and I reserved a room for two nights on Friday June 9, 2006. I had seen very negative feedback on the resort only after making the reservation and being told that a deposit for one night was already applied to our credit card and was non-refundable. I called and spoke to one of the owners prior to our stay who was very cordial and addressed some of the issues raised. My husband and I have travelled extensively world-wide and have never had any major problems with accommodations so we decided to give the resort the benefit of the doubt. Upon check-in (apparently by a young man who had started there that day) we found our room to be adequate. A little musty and basic but pretty much how it had been described by the owner. The young man who checked us in came by about 5 mins later and said a mistake had been made at the desk and I needed to speak with the other owner. I was told in no uncertain terms that we had to pay the balance of the two night stay immediately upon checking in. I questioned this as I've never come across this policy before. I was shown a sheet that apparently had been sent to my e-mail address which I had apparently agreed to even though I had never seen the agreement; (it was determined later that it had been sent to an incorrect address and had never reached me). I was told in a very bombastic and condescending way that my option was to pay for two nights immediately or not be allowed to stay at all. I was quite shocked at the rudeness of the encounter and told the man that he was confirming all the derogatory comments posted on trip advisor which had caused me to be hesitent about staying the two nights in the first place. I said that my understanding was that I had reserved a room for two nights - his slant was that we had agreed to pay for a room for two nights. To my mind it was like booking a table for dinner and having to pay before the meal came. He found this ludicrous and handed me a phone which he said would connect me with the Chamber of Commerce and they would explain that this is the policy in BC in general. He finally agreed that if we decided not to stay he would refund our deposit but it was two nights or no nights. We decided not to stay at the resort as I really did not want to give him our business. It was a very unpleasant encounter with a particularly unpleasant person and my sole purpose in posting this is to try and stop this happening to anyone else. We did find in dealing with other establishments that it seems to be a normal practice in the area for non-refundable deposits to be charged and for rooms to be pre-paid so if you've never come across this before please be aware. We finally managed to get a room at the Tofino Motel which was a little jewel with views over the harbour, spotlessly clean (cheaper) and a very pleasant owner - if you're looking for somewhere inexpensive it can't be beaten.

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2006

Our family recently spent two nights at the Mackenzie Beach Resort, in cabin #1 and we wanted to submit a review, mostly because we had such an excellent experience, but partially in response to some of the negative feedback posted regarding this resort.

Firstly – I read all of the reviews before we went and I could tell that there was a common theme to the negative ones. In almost all of the negative reviews, the guests were disappointed because the resort did not measure up to their [high] expectations.

If you are looking for a four star resort, do not stay here! This is not a fancy hotel with doormen dressed in tuxedos and 24 hour concierge service. It is more akin to staying at a friend's cabin on the beach. We were looking for a place where we could relax in a home-like setting, as we have an four year old and a hotel room just doesn't cut it. Our cabin fit the bill perfectly.

The staff may not have been wearing their Sunday best (and who wants them to?), but they were pleasant and very helpful. For example, during check in, while talking to one guy about the hot tub and how we were looking forward to relaxing after the drive, he mentioned not to take any glassware in. I said that wasn't a problem – we'd use plastic for our wine. A second guy popped out of the back room with two plastic wine glasses.

Cabin #1 has three bedrooms, which was overkill for us, but we really wanted the private hot tub, so we splurged. The master bedroom has a queen bed and an ensuite bathroom (with a shower). The other two rooms had bunk beds, which thrilled our daughter. The main bathroom has a shower/tub and there is also an extra sink/wash area in the hallway. A nice touch – there was a basket full of hot tub/beach towels (this was in addition to the regular towels found in each bathroom).

The kitchen is fully equipped – there is a microwave and dishwasher, as well as such extras as a blender and a coffee grinder – and very roomy. There are stools to perch on and eat at the counter, in addition to the dining area, which has six chairs around a table. Worth noting, however, is that there were no "basics" (salt, pepper, sugar), so bring your own.

The living room has two couches and an "iron stove" style fireplace (which, as it turns out, throws off a LOT of heat). The TV was a fairly basic model, but we weren't there to watch TV.

Although the furniture wasn't brand new and maybe had the odd stain, we were perfectly comfortable using it (and even the Empress Hotel in Victoria has stains on the furniture).

Cabin #1 is about 10 m from the beach, with gorgeous views through the large picture windows. There is a propane BBQ outside, as well as a fire pit. They provide firewood and if you need more, you just have to ask.

The private hot tub is beside the cabin and well screened from other guests, yet still offers an excellent view of the ocean. The hot tub was clean, aside from a bit of sand on the bottom – and that is inevitable. There is a basin of water beside it for rinsing your feet, but sand is going to get in. After all, you're staying on the beach.

The office hours are posted in plain sight and were also communicated to us upon check in. In too many of the negative reviews, guests complained that the staff weren't available outside of these hours. I'm sorry, but that's why they post office hours.

I had a nice chat with one of the staff while checking out and he admitted that they need to make sure they better manage potential guests' expectations.

However, to anyone who is looking for a home-like experience, our family wholeheartedly recommends this resort. Cabins #2 and #3 are also on the beach and as there were no guests staying in either on the first night, we looked in and both appeared equally appealing. I can't say anything about their other cabins (which are located up a few steps from the beach), nor did we make use of the pool / common-use hot tub.

• Stayed May 2006