“Couldn't get any closer”

MacKenzie Beach Resort
Ranked #18 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Tofino
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I recently stayed at Mackenzie Beach Resort for a couple of days in the campground this July. Although not fancy I had really enjoyed being right on the beach. We couldn't get any closer. I took advantage of their pool and free showers. The entrance muddy when you walked in, but I did notice staff mopping more then once. It must be because people didn't read the sign that said 'Please no shoes.'

The front desk staff were very helpful and knowledgeable. There was the option of bikes to rent that got dropped off right too us which made it nice to tour around the town.

Over all the resort looks to be shaping up compared to the reviews I read before coming.

The Managers even came to check on us and called us by our names, they were even happy to show us a cottage for our next stay.

I would recommend this resort if you want to be close to the beach with friendly helpful staff around.

Thanks Mackenzie Beach for making our stay in Tofino enjoyable.

Room Tip: Choose the beach!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for MacKenzie Beach Resort

Reviewed July 2, 2013

After reading poor reviews ahead of time, but having no other options for camping available, we decided to book at Mackenzie Beach Resort. I called multiple times to reserve a waterfront site in a prime location, and I was assured that I would have the particular site that I wanted. Funny enough, when I arrived, they had us in a different site which was half the size and away from where we wanted. I had to argue with them to convince them that I had, in fact, booked it weeks ago.

It is hard to call Mackenzie Beach Resort a "resort" or even a proper campsite; the location is literally house with a backyard where they have placed a few picnic tables and logs as dividers and called it a day. If it was a bit less costly than other campsites I would give the place a break, but they are in line with other campsites price-wise, so I will lay out what it is all about so you are forewarned:

- Crammed would be putting it nicely - there is no room to park, let alone camp. Our neighbor's tents were so close that I could hear them breathing at night
- There is no path to the beach, so everyone from the resort used our site as the conduit. It sucked to have people walking through our campsite at 1am
- The place is a mess: bathrooms, pool, showers, all disgusting (the doors to the bathroom wont even close)
- The staff weren't unfriendly, but were definitely jaded and did not go out of their way to make us feel welcome
- The place was clearly no frills - they made me pay to charge my phone (icing on the cake)

In the end, it always comes down to the people that you are with and how you view your vacation. We still had a blast and Mackenzie beach is beautiful, but I would never stay or recommend Mackenzie beach resort.

Room Tip: Just stay away!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelmd88
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Was dissapointed at the campsite. Paid big money for a postage stamp size site that was muddy. Neighbours are right on top of you. No refunds no matter what. Expensive fire wood.
Store prices are super inflated compared to in town.
All things cost extra including wifi. Bring lots of money.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Its not easy finding places that are dog-friendly and less than $300/night in Tofino at peak season, but we were thankful to have found McKenzie Beach Resort on short notice (we booked it the day before we arrived, it was $150/night). We stayed in the "Pool Building" in a 1 bedroom suite with a kitchenette. We had our own porch area we did not really get to use due to torrential rain the two days we stayed in Tofino. I wouldn't call this place fancy or anything, it is basically a property that includes campgrounds right next to the cabins. Our porch basically overlooked one of these camping spots and at one point I saw a punk kid urinating in the bushes I was almost thankful that the weather was poor or the campers would have been more rowdy. The suite we were in bordered the parking lot of the fancy hotel next door so occasionally you'd here a loud engine starting up too. Overall though if you're just looking for a simple, CLEAN, and cheap-ish place to sleep in Tofino, I would recommend McKenzie Beach Resort.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wwgtam
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We will be staying here every time we go to Tofino from now on. We are there for the beaches & it's such easy affordable access to them. They have rustic little cabins & don't have people running around annoying you all the time. Reasonable rates with everything you need provided for you. We loved Mackenzie Beach Resort! Everything we were looking for & more.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank RenTurco
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We just got back from a really great stay at the Resort. We stayed in Cabin #3 and what a view. The cabin was clean and comfortable, and also well equipped - there was nothing that we were short of. Although older and not luxurious - at the price it was great. We were right on the beach with a gorgeous view from the large picture windows in the lounge - you almost dont need to go to the beach although that is lovely too. Staff friendly and helpful too. Our dogs loved it and we found it super relaxing and a great weekend away - perfect..

Room Tip: worth getting one of the cabins on the beach front. #3 is lovely and private being at the end.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jenny M
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed here june 2012 for 1 week. It was very bad, paper thin walls, dirty, no service of any kind. We had to ask for toilet paper, etc. I wouldn't recommend using any dishes (we brought our own) and used sleeping bags on top of the fold out bed. It was cheaper than most places and still not worth the money. The only thing we liked was access to the shared beach. I wouldn't recommend anyone stay here, considering many recent reviews are similar, and when we were there last June, the owner showed up, complaining that they just couldn't keep staff, and apologizing for the previous staff, but still did not take care of the property or rooms (although they will take your empty bottles).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple