“Disappointed - could be fantastic but failed to impress us.”

Best Western Tin Wis Resort
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
Reviewed August 29, 2007

This hotel is located in a beautiful area. The scenery in this region is stunning. The hotel is located on a great beach and all rooms have great balconies and wonderful views out to sea.

However, the hotel failed to live up to our expectations. Check in was no problem but we were not offered any information about the hotel so we assumed that there would be some in our room but there was none. We had to phone reception every time we had a question.

Our twin room was on the first floor. Parking was easy with a large car park and parking right outside your block. There was a small fridge and a coffee brewing machine which was very welcome. The bathroom was quite small and felt chilly the whole time were were there. The room was very basic and felt damp (although we saw no evidence of that) and smelt somewhat musty. Furnishings were drab and the bed linen worn and the pillows extremely thin. The balcony furniture consisted of two plastic chairs that had been stacked inside the room but were too filthy to use to sit out on.

The hot tub area was being painted whilst we were there and involved a long walk outside to get to it from our room so we didn't bother. We ate in the restaurant one night and the meal was lovely, although somewhat overpriced.

Overall, I would not stay at this hotel again. The location is lovely but the room could have been so much better.

Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank bonjovirock
Write a ReviewReviews (1,385)

Reviewed June 1, 2007

Tin Wis enjoys an idyllic location on a privatelong, sandy beach and makes the best of it, as all rooms face on to the sea. Our accommodation could not be faulted, being clean and spacious, and the staff were friendly, if reserved. Food was good and the service excellent, though the menu might become a bit limiting if you stayed for more than a few days.

Stayed: May 2007
3  Thank Panth
Reviewed May 14, 2007

I must say this is the BEST "Best Western" I've ever been to.

The property is located on the grounds of an old school. There's a well maintained green area between the beach and the buildings. This beautiful setting is unique to Tin Wins.

Rooms are clean and all have ocean view. The beach is only seconds away.

Be sure to try out their restaurant. Pricing is very reasonable. Service is comparable to what you get on a top rated cruiseship. Servers are professional and polite. Great food!

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank JMCY
Reviewed April 3, 2007

Dreadful experience. After a 3 hour trip (everyone arriving in Tofino has travelled for hours) we were un-welcomed by comatose, untraind staff, who would not register us until 3:00...it was 1:30pm. No offers of "Let's see what I can do", or "Sorry we are full, but leave your bags here", something engaging....Nope, we were dismissed and felt dismissed. At the 3:00pm time, we were told our AAA registrations were not as effective as a reservation with the hotel direct (what nonsense!) and were offered a different room to the one we reserved. So we tried that, but the key card did not work; walk back to the receptionist, same comatose woman, and the new key card does not work either. Back to recepetion, comatose guy walks to the room with us and the third key card does not work. Battery in door is dead and no one knows how to fix it. I knew how to fix it; cancelled our stay and went in to town (Tofino is a dump, folks!) stayed at the pristine Days Inn.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BellevueLegman
Reviewed March 9, 2007

My partner and I wanted to get away to the temperate rainforest, and my friends told us about the Tin Wis, which turned out to be a best western, and I was shocked to read the reviews about other experiences. Some people have off days and we might take what is happening in our own lives and turn it into mountains when something doesn't go our way.
When we checked in the front desk staff were wonderful. The young guy that check us in was so helpful and answered all our questions about the area. I am a runner and wanted to know about "local" trails, and he helped me with the bike trail and the hotel's gym if it was raining, and if I wished to head into town to the local gym he would be able to assist me with a day pass.
I was very impressed.
Dinner was amazing. We stayed over the week-end and their chef was creating a daily menu and the choices were out of this world. The steak and prawns - WOW! Our waiters was so nice and told us great stories about the first nations in the area. It was a great time.
We didn't have time for breakfast, but our next stay we will make time for the yummy eggs benny that the young lady told us about at time of check out.
I would recommend the Best Western Tin Wis for a week-end away from the every day grind

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank min1974
Reviewed January 2, 2007

As somebody who has stayed with this hotel before, I was disappointed to have a very sub-par visit when I returned this last December. Without getting into too many details, my chief complaint with the hotel is the lamentable quality of customer service skills that the staff possess.

Smile. Make small talk. Ask how your guests are. PRETEND THAT YOU APPRECIATE THEIR BUSINESS! I could not believe how unprofessional the employees act, speaking to guests in an extremely casual manner or, as happened to me a few times, barely speaking to us at all.

Here is what needs to be improved:
1) Staff need to be friendlier to guests.
2) Phone etiquette needs to improve from not answering or a grumpy "front desk" to something that nears professionalism.
3) If a guest finds a dirty room, as we did, apologize like crazy and FIX IT. I cannot stress this enough: it is not the guest's fault your maid did not do her job, and don't expect them to rectify the situation.
4) Fix your doors. The door to our room didn't even close securely unless it was slammed shut.

That's it for now. Will I stay with this hotel again? I'm going to have to think long and hard about it.

Stayed: December 2006
6  Thank the_uh_guy
Reviewed October 20, 2006

Tin Wis is in a unbelievable location, in a bay, and nice and quiet. We had the loft room (the only one in the whole building), it was nice, and the view was unbelievable but the room cleaning was horrible. We had our room "cleaned" the next day and we were horribly disappointed. We had family over the previous night with chips etc. on the floor and they did not even vacuum it up, we had to phone down to have it vacuumed up. The food at the restaurant was so so, but the beach was unreal, that part we were very happy. Not sure if we'd be back.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family